Official Flenser Releases Thread - Always Flensing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Hey there,

This is Jonathan, owner of The Flenser. You’re getting this message because you pre-ordered a copy of Giles Corey’s “Hinterkaifeck” vinyl which was intended to ship by mid-May. Unfortunately, this release has been delayed because of freight issues related to the global pandemic. We expect to ship all pre-orders by the end of June.

We work with a number of manufacturers around the world to make our clothing, records, and CD’s. The plant making the vinyl for this release is in Europe and normally ships to us via passenger air plane cargo. Because far fewer flights are happening, we had to ship this release via boat which is much slower.

Our apologies for the delay, we do appreciate your support. If you have any questions feel free to reply to this email.

Best,

Jonathan Tuite"

Just tears everywhere GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• 1 month later...

Sprain - As Lost Through Collision LP is up now for PO.

Los Angeles-based experimental artists Sprain play downer music at cacophonous volumes. Their new album, As Lost Through Collision (out September 4th on The Flenser), unfurls threads of spidery 90’s rock (think Unwound, Duster, Slint, etc.) and is a complex and cathartic exercise in tension and restraint.

Formed in L.A. in early 2018 by Alex Kent and April Gerloff, Sprain‘s initial home-recorded forays into minimalistic slowcore resulted in their self-titled EP (2018) that distinguished them from the lo-fi pack through visceral expressions of depressed life. Soon, guitarist Alex Simmons and drummer Max Pretzer joined, folding tumultuous noise rock, drone, and flirtations with the avant-garde into the band’s arsenal. Touring converged these explorations into Sprain’s current sound: pure 21st century panic strained through a wall of piercing, feedbacking guitar amps.

Written at home and refined on the road, the 5 new tracks that comprise As Lost Through Collision are parts monolithic and minimalist, manic and mellow. Engineered by Josiah Mazzaschi at The Cave (Built to Spill, The Jesus and Mary Chain) and mixed by Tim Green at Louder Studios (The Melvins, Lungfish, Jawbreaker), the music here retains its organic purity and captures Sprain in its truest state. The listener can hear every instrument and every tonal deviation while the band members embrace musical and philosophical abstraction in their art practice; they emphasize sound as force, differentiating the concept of pure sound from music. And although As Lost Through Collision is a departure from their previous EP, it still retains Sprain’s former slowcore aesthetic. “This record was a conscious effort to move beyond the initial style we experimented with on our last EP into something more unique — something more ‘us,’” they comment.

The tumultuous lifestyle of being a DIY musician in LA is reflected in the intentional harshness of Sprain’s sound, and the new compositions were also influenced by a change in understanding and approach to music creation. Guitarist/vocalist Alex Kent comments, “I feel like my approach to composition changed due to some new mental challenges such as extreme anxiety, and the songs definitely reflect that.” Sprain is and continues to be a therapeutic vehicle, actively seeking personal catharsis that’s reflected by the intensity of the music and performance. And while the noticeable persuasion from 90’s post hardcore and noise rock is palpable, As Lost Through Collision takes cues from 20th century avant classical such as Xenakis and Penderecki. The end result is freewheeling and urgent, dynamic and destructive, and Sprain is marked by an aggressive versatility that has been sorely lacking in recent guitar music

https://nowflensing.com/collections/sprain/products/sprain-as-lost-through-collision-lp

5 minutes ago, jrodan said:

EP was sooo good. this new song is awesome, but i hope they kept some slowcore elements. 

I actually haven't checked out the single yet, but I did spy this in the blurb Juan posted;

while the band members embrace musical and philosophical abstraction in their art practice; they emphasize sound as force, differentiating the concept of pure sound from music. And although As Lost Through Collision is a departure from their previous EP, it still retains Sprain’s former slowcore aesthetic

I'm hopeful.

Edited by Derek™

The liking of Sprain to the sounds of Slint and Unwound are spot-on. The EP and the single on this LP are definitely that trajectory of mathcore and slowcore but a little noisier. I love it. 

if anyone doesn't want their Flenser sub copy...hit me up. I'll gladly take it off your hands. 

12 hours ago, Multiverse said:

Anyone wanna sell their black hinterkaifeck? I missed out and don't really like the other variants

I assume that it will just end up back in stock on their site as black should be the standard pressing. But also you can still preorder it from places like amazon, barnes, deepdiscount, forcedexposure etc.

1 hour ago, fish said:

I assume that it will just end up back in stock on their site as black should be the standard pressing. But also you can still preorder it from places like amazon, barnes, deepdiscount, forcedexposure etc.

Oh woops, thank you!

I thought the black was just sold out and limited or something but I definitely didn't check hard enough

In case y’all haven’t seen your emails:

Giles Corey "Hinterkaifeck" LP Shipping Update

Hey there, you're getting this email because you pre-ordered Giles Corey Hinterkaifek vinyl. I wanted to give you a quick update. As we have mentioned the vinyl was delayed because of shipping delays associated with the global pandemic. 

We have finally received our copies of the LP and they look amazing. We have begun packing the large number of pre-orders. We plan to start shipping some orders tomorrow and will ship the remaining pre-orders by this coming Wednesday

I wanted to thank you for standing by us and waiting patiently for this great record. It's also worth noting that all upcoming announced releases are on track to ship on time. This includes the Planning For Burial "Leaving" box set and Sprain full-length

• 3 weeks later...

Zen Mother "Millennial Garbage Preach" 

One of the decade’s most compelling, genre-bending duos, Zen Mother has returned with a new LP Millennial Garbage Preach.  Due out on October 2nd, the seven new tracks that comprise Zen Mother’s debut for the label traverse experimental rock, avant-garde psych-punk, industrial dirge, and more.   

Produced by Randall Dunn (Marissa Nadler, Sunn O))), Kayo Dot).