Music that makes you productive

I started getting into soundtracks and ambient/IDM for this very reason.

I made a playlist of my favorite songs from Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross soundtracks, as well as select NIN instrumentals from Ghosts and other albums/EPs. I've found that their music works for me best. Aphex Twin is great for work as well.

Post-rock and ambient.  However, this is my study music, since I'm in school, not my "sit at a desk and do my job" type of music.  I can't study with music if it has lyrics, but I'm sure if I was at a desk job I would want something a little bit more upbeat. 

A Winged Victory for the Sullen, Stars of the Lid, Lowercase Noises, Mogwai, Otto. A. Totland, Mono, Tycho, Boards of Canada, Celer, Eluvium, Kyle Bobby Dunn, etc.

all depends on the mood, but i generally need things that are more on the energetic, upbeat dance-at-your-desk-and-hope-no-one-notices end of the spectrum. low-key/instrumental stuff just makes me fall asleep at my desk. i need to rock out a little while i work. lately, hostage calm has been serving me well in keeping me motivated through my last hour at work.

If I'm able to rock-out-until-I-clock-out (which is most of the time, I have an office with a door) then it's metal, or shit like The Glitch Mob.  Bouncy/Stompy/high energy shit.

You do have to watch the ambient stuff, it can put you to sleep, that's why I prefer the IDM/noise end of the spectrum.

I like how most people are going with something instrumental.  Makes sense because no words/lyrics means the music will be less distracting, and lets your inner monologue flow. Music with non-lyrical vocalizing would probably fit the bill as well.  I would probably go with something that's isn't too abrasive. To add to that, I'm pretty sure there have been studies that listening to jazz or classical while you study, or before an exam will temporarily raise your IQ by up to about 10 points, in case academics are your thang.

Film scores (Reznor/Ross, Zimmer, etc.), Chilly Gonzales (esp. Solo Piano), Ludovico Einaudi and Yann Tiersen are my go-to music. So yeah, definitely mellow instrumental pieces (maybe some ambient, too) that don't distract you.

However, when I write songs/stories I'm the most productive when I listen to music that reflects the theme of said stories. I mean, writing a protest song does indeed work better if you have Masters of War playing in the background.

Tycho is wonderful for this and also for winding down at the end of your day. (I wish i could find more in his vain) Miles Davis, Boards of Canada, EITS, Mono and BADBADNOTGOOD are all awesome choices. 

Film scores are great too. The marvel scores are good.  Love the Grand Budapest score especially "moonshine". 

I love listening to the orchestral versions of the Ocarina of time soundtrack too cuz I'm weird: 

I do data entry and am able to use headphones at work all day, but I usually find myself listening to stuff like Botch, Converge and Julia. Lots of These Arms Are Snakes lately too. I listened to a lot of instrumental stuff at first but the louder stuff helps me block out annoying noises on my office floor a bit better and I pay too much attention to instrumental music while working.

I work from home and in the last couple years have found that listening to podcasts keeps me most productive.

I'm with you on that. I work in a warehouse/production setting and we can wear headphones, so about 80% of the time it's podcasts. Really into Marc Maron, Bill Burr and Dan Savage most of the time.