Official VC Butt Rock and Lost Boys Thread

i always played lightning crashes by live on the jukebox at pizza hut when i was a kid

Live is not butt rock.

Lists are hilariously accurate, save for Live. Regardless of their current relevance, with albums like Mental Jewelry, Throwing Copper, and Secret Samadhi, they will never be butt rock. Hell, even the Where The Fishes Go, and The Dolphin's Cry from The Distance To Here were solid alternative songs.

So into the love for Live! Love that band.

Also, I'd like to make a motion to have The Maine removed from this thread. They're the only ones in that Lost Boys list who are still making music regularly and have also progressed SO much in the years since Can't Stop Won't Stop. They're almost a completely different band and have certainly matured with their audience while also captivating new listeners who weren't into their pre-Pioneer discography.

Here I ask, move this to the general discussuin board or leave here?

Being that no actual record/vinyl/vinylz discussion is happening...soooooo...

heaven forbid we offend a 19 yr old newb with a fondness for P.O.D. or da Bizkit?

I say move it.  

after 4-5 more days... :D 

edit:  also, this

tumblr_l5h0c06uRe1qbc98v.jpg

So into the love for Live! Love that band.

Also, I'd like to make a motion to have The Maine removed from this thread. They're the only ones in that Lost Boys list who are still making music regularly and have also progressed SO much in the years since Can't Stop Won't Stop. They're almost a completely different band and have certainly matured with their audience while also captivating new listeners who weren't into their pre-Pioneer discography.

well, if we are motioning stuff, id like to motion for Rob Zombie. reason 1) i believe white zombie gives rob a pass 2) the horror element 3) too many bare chesticles at his live shows to be "butt" rock....ok maybe no so much the third reason.

No records YET Juan, but when those Staind and Papa Roach numbered RSD represses come out in a couple months you'll be glad this thread exists. 

Going on the record to say I still actively like the Ataris. Also I own Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park on vinyl. It cost me 8 bucks at this cool little shop in Newport, RI. In my defense (maybe?) I also bought Gen X, The Locusts, and Living Colour.

Also, I would buy Staind's second album Dysfunction.

So, in conclusion, I guess I belong in this thread...?

Going on the record to say I still actively like the Ataris. Also I own Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park on vinyl. It cost me 8 bucks at this cool little shop in Newport, RI. In my defense (maybe?) I also bought Gen X, The Locusts, and Living Colour.

Also, I would buy Staind's second album Dysfunction.

So, in conclusion, I guess I belong in this thread...?

Just bought my first Ataris vinyl. Also own HT & Meteora.

I know I belong in this thread. :/

No, Anywhere But Here HT swirl for $7.

I will, I will.

That's a good one. I have the same. Actually once I get the SLA, I'll be up to date (minus that recent 7" which would rarely get played because it's a 7". I have just over a hundred and barely ever play one. Mostly, AM!'s "Crime EP" is the only one that sees rotation).

That's a good one. I have the same. Actually once I get the SLA, I'll be up to date (minus that recent 7" which would rarely get played because it's a 7". I have just over a hundred and barely ever play one. Mostly, AM!'s "Crime EP" is the only one that sees rotation).

Love that EP

I struggled with that too, but it seems fit for the time being. Feel free to move it if you think that is better. But if a thread about these bands start up you need to lock that shit immediately and directed them to everything else.

The threads basically go: is the one decent album by this butt rock band available on vinyl followed by five pages of harassment.

And for the lost boys its a PO thread for a 6 year anniversary tour and vinyl pressing for a band that couldn't sell out a vfw hall went the album came out.

well, if we are motioning stuff, id like to motion for Rob Zombie. reason 1) i believe white zombie gives rob a pass 2) the horror element 3) too many bare chesticles at his live shows to be "butt" rock....ok maybe no so much the third reason.

Refer to OPs butt rock description. This fits the bill. You like butt rock, be proud that's what this is here for.

Refer to OPs butt rock description. This fits the bill. You like butt rock, be proud that's what this is here for.

not denying I like a few of those bands, and if anyone else wants to consider them "butt rock" then fine, but i dont personally put them in the "butt rock" list.

Good news! I own no buttrock, but Korn is in my iTunes haha.

Nonpoint

Incubus

Sublime

Chevelle

Metallica (Black album & beyond)

P.O.D.

Sublime incubus 311 might be more bro rock at this point than butt rock. Butt rock has a more grungy feel to it. Like you haven't changed your boxers in three days. Where sublime and 311 just make you feel like a douchebag.

Sublime incubus 311 might be more bro rock at this point than butt rock. Butt rock has a more grungy feel to it. Like you have changed your boxers in three days. Where sublime and 311 just make you feel like a douchebag.

Can also be filed under pseudo stoner rock.

I actually agree with you on all points you made

No offense to the OP--I understand the ideal utility of a thread like this but I think it ultimately takes away from the fun of having a discussion centered around a particular record release.  And making a list to capture all of those bands in one place--especially since you just pigeon-holed like 50 bands from two separate categories--in a way, makes it difficult to feel like people can hone in on a particular release without having to wade through what is sure to be a crazy amount of unrelated posts in this thread.  

I think it goes back to the idea that if you don't want to read a thread, just don't read it.  And yeah, of course you'll have people who make fun- it's the Internet.  That being said, I think the discussion in here can be generally related to these particular two "groupings" of music but my hope is that individual threads can still be created for people to discuss specific releases they're genuinely interested in.  It seems to me to be a shaky precedent to say 'no' to more individual threads being created just because one user decided to group them all in one place.

I'm cool if people disagree--no hard feelings.  Just putting a thought out there.

First off, this is obviously not a serious thread. 

Musically these two genres have nothing in common besides an undying sense of nostalgia for music that flat out doesn't stand up to what is being put out these days. It had its time and place and that time is not here and that place is not now. Butt rock threads are started by some dweeb with 20 posts that has never heard of discogs and asks if so and so album has been released. Which it hasn't. So it got put in the vinyl forum despite having nothing to do with vinyl. The lost boys are also started by a person with 20 posts that randomly listened to some song they hadn't heard in five years and starts a thread saying how this album NEEDS to get pressed. A couple sorry saps respond saying oh yeah I would kill to have that pressed. I would press it myself, but I don't have the money. So it comes down to that thread having nothing to do about vinyl. Now there are two threads that have nothing to do with this message board. There is even a thread about albums I wished were pressed. Just use that one instead of expressing your pipe dreams in there own thread.

This place is called vinyl collective. Not music collective. If an album isn't pressed on vinyl does it need to be discussed at length. 

As for the recent string of 5/10/15 year anniversary tours to 250 cap venues with a first time on vinyl pressing of 500 the question you should be asking is why would I want that? These bands are dead, they do nothing to benefit the music community. The labels that put these out are only trying to make money. If they cared about the music at all they would be throwing their money into supporting artists that are currently active and putting out music and playing shows. If you buy an album from a band that is broken up the band and the label will make the money and then it stops there. If you support current bands they can use that money to record a new album, tour more, put out music videos...things that will help them grow. 

Nostalgia is for suckers and it hurts those bands that are currently trying to make it. If you would have gone and seen that band that put out a record 5 years ago and bought their cd when it came out and made threads about them maybe they wouldn't have fizzled out so fast. obviously one person isn't going to make a break a band but when a whole site focuses on the past it doesn't support what is really going on. 

No offense to the OP--I understand the ideal utility of a thread like this but I think it ultimately takes away from the fun of having a discussion centered around a particular record release.  And making a list to capture all of those bands in one place--especially since you just pigeon-holed like 50 bands from two separate categories--in a way, makes it difficult to feel like people can hone in on a particular release without having to wade through what is sure to be a crazy amount of unrelated posts in this thread.  

I think it goes back to the idea that if you don't want to read a thread, just don't read it.  And yeah, of course you'll have people who make fun- it's the Internet.  That being said, I think the discussion in here can be generally related to these particular two "groupings" of music but my hope is that individual threads can still be created for people to discuss specific releases they're genuinely interested in.  It seems to me to be a shaky precedent to say 'no' to more individual threads being created just because one user decided to group them all in one place.

I'm cool if people disagree--no hard feelings.  Just putting a thought out there.