Angry messages and PMs from sellers/buyers

The original grade was a weird scale created just for the seller. VG++, which was described as shiny, clean, clear surface, no effect on audio, and the highest grade they would give a record. So no NM on their scale but they described VG++ as if it were basically NM.

The LP was covered in an even layer of dust and paper particles, light scratches all over, and had two large, half-circle scuffs on each side that looked like a leaning " C" tracked across 3-4 songs each.

Now, work your magic.

All these newjack collectors who are more concerned about the collectability and "investment" of their records is what is marring and shit-smearing THE HOBBY!!!

It used to be that records were to listen to and enjoy...now it's seen as a collector's item and to be hoarded to profit later on. Much like comic books and baseball cards back in the day.

Next thing you know there'll be some hair-brained idea for a vinyl grading company like the CGC for comic books. Send us your records, we'll grade them since that's all you care about and encase them in lucite for you to frame and never listen to at all.

(And if anyone does come up with that idea...I thought of it first damnit!)

It is disgusting to receive a record with dust all over it though, I agree. 

It's one thing to get a record that has clearly not been taken care of (covered in dirt, pet hair, smoke smell, etc.) but it's a completely different level of asinine jackassery when a buyer flips their shit over a corner crimp or bend or seam split that we all know may have well ocurred during transit at the careful hands of the USPS.

Now...of course, if the record was packaged like crap to begin with by the seller, then it's a different story.

For my man jhulud, I could not care less if the jacket arrives bent in half and torn. Give me the record in VG condition in a generic sleeve and I'm happy.

I've returned two records in two years. And both times were because they arrived dirty and scratched and they were listed as NM.

Why use eBay? 

The audience is a million times bigger than anywhere else. You want to get the most eyeballs to your stuff you'll inevitably run into a few assholes along the way. Though I seem to recall a few floating around here as well. I get a few headaches now and again but as I said earlier I downgrade condition of covers while guaranteeing that Vinyl is mint. I get far more folks wanting music as opposed to a collectible this way. 

Why use eBay? 

The audience is a million times bigger than anywhere else. You want to get the most eyeballs to your stuff you'll inevitably run into a few assholes along the way. Though I seem to recall a few floating around here as well. I get a few headaches now and again but as I said earlier I downgrade condition of covers while guaranteeing that Vinyl is mint. I get far more folks wanting music as opposed to a collectible this way. 

This is a pretty good mentality for a seller.

Why use eBay?

I've done this too! I did it to lower expectations and deliver above the description but it seems like it would also work great to dissuade "hobby collectors". Smart move.

People selling (here, eBay or Discogs) need to go to the Steve Hoffman Classfied and see how people grade and describe/post pictures for their sales. Obviously, it will be difficult to find listings for say, Hot Water Music or a rare color variant for a post punk band. But I think a lot of people could learn something.

It used to be that records were to listen to and enjoy...now it's seen as a collector's item and to be hoarded to profit later on. Much like comic books and baseball cards back in the day.

I'm glad you could make three separate comments in this thread that were just you saying "the hobby lol" You're a mod who complains about people not contributing to threads and getting off topic, and then you just spam threads saying the same thing over and over.

But this is the part that makes the least sense. The Goldmine rating system was created specifically because of this. So it would be rated and you could tell what you should pay for it based on the grade. It isnt something that just came along in the past ten years. Records have been hoarded and saved for years. Just because it is more mainstream and happening to things you want doesnt mean it hasnt been happening for over 40 years already.

You and the other hyper defensive sellers in this thread do realize that that you are posting on a forum called VINYL COLLECTIVE right! I mean this is not Rolling Stone or some other site where people generally bitch "it shoud be all about the music maaaaaaaan"!

Shit. Juan! Can you move this to the Vinyl As Wall Art sub forum? Listening to records... Unheard of.

See, now I'm in a situation like this.

I ordered a record from some dude in Spain who has awesome feedback, said the item was NM in both sleeve condition and media condition, and it took a while to get to me obviously, so that was not his fault. His description was "LIKE NEW, never played, perfect." It just arrived in an unpadded paper envelope corners bent, tape on the sleeve, a price tag inside the sleeve, his name written inside the sleeve, and just all around pretty bad condition.

q5py2Bz.jpg?1

NxsaocT.jpg?2

I messaged the buyer letting him know that he probably should be a little more strict on his grading since this is definitely not near mint, not even VG. Do I leave him neutral feedback? How can I leave positive if the item didn't come at all as described? I'm happy to own the record, that's not the point, but I don't want anybody else to fall for this dude's condition descriptions. I'm not super pissed, but these are the things that give buyers the option to choose positive, neutral, or negative feedback.

But before anybody says "does the record play," know that that's not the point. The record sounds decent after a really deep clean, but I could have bought a VG+ conditioned copy for half the price.

Are you asking for calm, normal-dude-to-normal-dude advice?  If so, you should message him first to get his take on why there could have been a difference in the description, which it sounds like you did.  

I don't really know how you can accidentally make the mistake of listing that LP as like new/perfect, so I'm not sure how his response would sway you from a neutral experience, at best, to a positive one.  But maybe, if he responds professionally, acknowledges the error, and offers a refund or return, you can include that as a positive aspect in your neutral feedback's description?

If you are asking for us to half-hear what you wrote and fill in the rest of the details with our own personal bias and resentments, then you should run and hide because somehow this is all about you being unreasonable and out for revenge like Ray Winstone/Thomas Jane in the major motion picture series The Punisher.  :P

Yeah, it's the Lush 2x10". And yeah, I just want to know what you guys might do. I feel as a buyer, if I buy an item from a seller with many, many original, old records listed as NM and like new, I have an obligation to let other buyers know that they might not receive an item as they expected it to be, but I always find myself feeling like a dick if I leave any feedback less than positive.