Sun Kil Moon - Universal Themes (PO Later This Year?)

It's funny because you know everyone who doesn't like the new album is going to be showing off their vinyl copies when they come out.

I must be an anomaly. Haven't liked anything he's put out in the past decade, and subsequently haven't purchased anything on vinyl (aside from Perils, which I love, but am also a huge fan of LaValle).

Seems to me the honest reality of it all is that those of us who have been fans since the 90's are not going to get it or understand why he would take such a radical style shift. And by now I should have come to terms with the fact that he's not going back either. A while back I was remembering when he first shifted to finger picking with Tiny Cities and that was the first big blow up us fans had about his change in style. If only I had known then he would end up falling so far in terms of form and function, I would have moved on..

Ok I'm all for not liking whatever record for whatever reason you want but this reads like you think Koz owes it to his fans to sound a certain way? Fuck that. I might not enjoy everything he's done but I respect him for doing whatever the hell he's feeling at that time. AND he's more popular than ever now so he must be doing something right.

Ok I'm all for not liking whatever record for whatever reason you want but this reads like you think Koz owes it to his fans to sound a certain way? Fuck that. I might not enjoy everything he's done but I respect him for doing whatever the hell he's feeling at that time. AND he's more popular than ever now so he must be doing something right.

I don't think he owe's anyone a damn thing, but I guess I'm just expressing disappointment with how I feel his work has declined from songs that were once beautiful metaphor driven soundscapes that made me feel broken hearted for the guy singing about his pain and loss in life. Now it's just a direct report of what he did last week...it's boring and half assed. And he is no more popular now than he was then, it's a small fanbase he caters to in reality. I've been a fan of his since 97 and still, no one from my area even has a clue who he is, and I'm certainly not in hickville nowhere. I don't dislike all of his newer material, but I much prefer it stripped down and free of overdubbed vocals I can't understand and too many lyrics shoved into a sentence. 

who needs MORE 'beautiful metaphor driven'? yughk. when i listen to music i wanna hear some unique narrative, detail, reality, opinion, originality, etc. i appreciate music that grows along side me and challenges me as a listener. what if Kozelek was comin' over to your house? you start cookin' him dinner, you bust your ass to make dude some blue crab cakes just cause you wanna make sure he likes the food. then he shows up sulking, and starts gnawing your ear off about girls. you gonna sit there and cry with him at the dinner table? HELL NO! dude, he's an old fuckin' man! i don't wanna hear that shit anymore! i'd kick that fool outta my house! i value his complaints, gripes and even his gossip infinitely more. it makes him truthful, textural and gives him dynamics -- coincidentally i feel the same about his last two records musically. ;) that's something, as a post-19-year-old, i can get behind. 

also, all this 'ah, he half-assed it,' and 'he probably wrote it in a week'. are you fucking insane? YOU write something this good in a week, ya flippin' joker! 

someone made a good point about Benji being the point of polarization. i think that's right on the money; these last two records challenge the listener wayyy more than any of his past work. he takes way more risks(successfully in my view), his influences are way less obvious and therefore it's way less contrived to my ears. Benji and now Universal are easily my favorites to date. both are completely unique listening experiences. doesn't mean i don't like the old stuff. i just don't think they compare. it's hard think of another artist that's progressed this much at this age; not usually how it works.

we're currently living through the dividing line and that is very exciting to me. i love that people don't understand how fuckin' incredible his new records are and i genuinely look forward to someone trashing what i just wrote.

Im not even going to go and read everyone's opinions but from little skimmings seems like there are strong difference of opinions...

I like it more than Benji (few great songs, a lot of filler)...musically this album is best he has done...vocal style I still struggle with but this is a great LP overall! Keep pumping out the jams Koz!

Im not even going to go and read everyone's opinions but from little skimmings seems like there are strong difference of opinions...

I like it more than Benji (few great songs, a lot of filler)...musically this album is best he has done...vocal style I still struggle with but this is a great LP overall! Keep pumping out the jams Koz!

I've never met the dude, but I imagine he curses those that refer to him as "Koz."

Yes truly a waste of time actually discussing the music that comes on these round things

I loved about half the songs on Benji, not loving too much on the new one yet

That could be done with a thread that wasn't devoted to a pre-order.  The pissing contest doesn't bother me, it's just that I can't find any info about ordering the actual record without sifting through a bunch of bullshit.

That could be done with a thread that wasn't devoted to a pre-order.  The pissing contest doesn't bother me, it's just that I can't find any info about ordering the actual record without sifting through a bunch of bullshit.

Here's a link to the CD pre-order, directly from the label:  http://caldoverderecords.com/

Vinyl release date is a long way off. Took me about 10 seconds to find that info in this thread, which is devoted to a pre-order AND discussion of the album. :)

Link to an album stream, not loading on iPhone/safari, hoping it works elsewhere. (Flash player req'd)

http://www.sunkilmoon.com/skmuniv2015/

Thanx for this.

I enjoyed it for the most part. The tempo/direction changes mid-song can be a bit confusing. And i can see why there was a Wesley Willis reference earlier in the thread...

I've only been listening to Mark for 10 or 11 years, but i enjoy all the music he's been a part of.