Sun Kil Moon - Universal Themes (PO Later This Year?)

universalthemes.jpg

Universal Themes

Release Date: June 2, 2015

(Caldo Verde Records) 

Guitars and vocals by Mark Kozelek. Percussion By Steve Shelley.

Recorded in San Francisco, 2014/2015. Additional recording in Hoboken, 2015. CD, Digital available June 2. Limited Vinyl available later in the year.

Track Listing:

1. The Possum

2. Birds Of Flims

3. With A Sort Of Grace I Walked To The Bathroom To Cry

4. Garden Of Lavender

5. Cry Me A River Williamsburg Sleeve Tattoo Blues

6. Ali/Spinks 2

7. Little Rascals

8. This Is My First Day And I'm Indian And I Work At A Gas Station

So this snuck its way onto Caldo Verde's site.  Originally, I wasn't going to make it its own thread, but figured it says vinyl will come so we'll need a thread anyway.  I'm pretty stoked for this.

Really wish he would stop releasing an LP and 2 live albums every year and actually spend some time crafting something beautiful like Ghosts, April, Tiny Cities.... <_<

ooof, Benji is by far the best yet, imo. a lot of the older stuff reminds me too much of Nick Drake. Benji is like that, but with way more Wesley Willis. 

Also to be noted, Mark has apparently been in the city directly north of me to record in the past 2 months.  He'd be one of the weirdest dudes to have a beer with.

He doesnt drink, but maybe he'd have some tea (already got weird)....

I am not surprised by this as he has been saying he is getting tired of touring and wants to write more songs....I just hope this has a different lyrical style then benji....doubtful! 8 songs seems a little short for Mark unless a lot are like Possum and really long ....?

He doesnt drink, but maybe he'd have some tea (already got weird)....

I am not surprised by this as he has been saying he is getting tired of touring and wants to write more songs....I just hope this has a different lyrical style then benji....doubtful! 8 songs seems a little short for Mark unless a lot are like Possum and really long ....?

I saw him a few months ago and he was drinking beer on stage...

ooof, Benji is by far the best yet, imo. a lot of the older stuff reminds me too much of Nick Drake. Benji is like that, but with way more Wesley Willis. 

This is probably the most accurate description of Benji yet... And the reason why I can't get into it, despite the glowing reviews.

Sorry, when you're taking lyrical cues from the man who wrote (and I quote): "This band played at the Metro/ About 200 people were at the show/ The rock show was awesome/ It whooped a pony's ass/ Hootie & The Blowfish!!!! (repeat 4x)"

Not a far stretch from that to "The War On Drugs Can Suck My Cock"...