Records Ordered But Never Recieved For Unknown Reasons

I was just cleaning out my email inbox and came across a couple items I ordered a looooong time ago but simply never received.

(7/19/14) -Best Buds Split 7" (Nouns, Pope, r∆chel) [Paco Tapes]

-r∆chel Cassette Tape

$13.00

(9/22/14) -White Coyote S/T Cassette [White Coyote Bandcamp]

$6.00

(White Coyote visited VC in February to apologize and swear that the tapes were coming eventually)

(10/18/14) -Death Grips - Exmilitary Cassette [Ormolycka]

$9.16

(This is still buyable on their website)

I was just curious about similar occurances to other VC members, for my own sick reasons. Ever order things and just never get them and can't get ahold of anybody to ask about it?

For the record, I've contacted all these people months ago, and just figured since I exceeded the paypal dispute window that it's just a loss.

So, the "aw shucks I'm just a kid in a band with a small label- what is this email contraption? sorry Ive been out of it all week/month/year. Sometimes life just gets in the way" thing actually works sometimes? I thought everyone was ok not being cool and pre-emptively sends multiple emails and then files a PayPal dispute.

I don't order many records anymore due to exchange rate/shipping prices but I have two email folders for "Records ordered" and "Records received." 

When I receive my order confirmation I move it to the one folder, then move it to the other folder once I get it. It's worked great for 5+ years.

I don't order many records anymore due to exchange rate/shipping prices but I have two email folders for "Records ordered" and "Records received." 

When I receive my order confirmation I move it to the one folder, then move it to the other folder once I get it. It's worked great for 5+ years.

i like that system! i have a section in my excel file (for my collection) that lists incoming records with expected release date.

I used to keep a list on a simple notepad file, whenever I ordered something it went on the list with the date ordered and the date expected. Since I order things somewhat regularly that worked for a while to remind me of things I had purchased. I don't remember why I stopped, I think I had a small period where I wasn't waiting for anything and I was too broke to buy anything, so I stopped checking the list. It's been utter chaos since that day.

So, the "aw shucks I'm just a kid in a band with a small label- what is this email contraption? sorry Ive been out of it all week/month/year. Sometimes life just gets in the way" thing actually works sometimes? I thought everyone was ok not being cool and pre-emptively sends multiple emails and then files a PayPal dispute.

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. Besides, these things are the only items I can remember never showing, it's gotta be less than 0.1% of my collection, I've had very little practice with the email gunslinging.

I ordered a Radiator Hospital 7" from Party Nogg exactly a year ago (still have the confirmation email) right before RH went on a tour and never actually got it. I was a bit disappointed, but it was only $6 total, so I just let it go. No sense in getting up in arms over $6.

Also, as far as keeping track of stuff I order online goes, I save the confirmation email(s) and make a new entry in the "Incoming" section of my DF list, then move it to its proper section once I get it.

I was just cleaning out my email inbox and came across a couple items I ordered a looooong time ago but simply never received.

(7/19/14) -Best Buds Split 7" (Nouns, Pope, r∆chel) [Paco Tapes]

-r∆chel Cassette Tape

$13.00

(9/22/14) -White Coyote S/T Cassette [White Coyote Bandcamp]

$6.00

(White Coyote visited VC in February to apologize and swear that the tapes were coming eventually)

(10/18/14) -Death Grips - Exmilitary Cassette [Ormolycka]

$9.16

(This is still buyable on their website)

I was just curious about similar occurances to other VC members, for my own sick reasons. Ever order things and just never get them and can't get ahold of anybody to ask about it?

For the record, I've contacted all these people months ago, and just figured since I exceeded the paypal dispute window that it's just a loss.

It's not a loss my friend. This is what I do when a label doesn't want to get back to me within 5 fucking weekdays. That Saturday morning comes, I get on my laptop. I fucking sit there and write the e-mail. Then I send that mother fucker 20 times minimum. So it clogs up their shitty ass free g-mail client and when they open their client, they'll see only your e-mail. Had to do this some shitty label in Portland and to Captured Tracks back in the day. Labels need to stop expecting the whole, "Oh we're small run label and we're so busy" bullshit. If you're running a business and providing a product and a customer gave you their money, hard earned money, for said "date" you got to pay the piper.

So it clogs up their shitty ass free g-mail client and when they open their client, they'll see only your e-mail.

I've considered doing something like this so often. I guess in the back of my mind it seems like a 'dick move', but hey, so is taking people's money and not sending anything.

I just keep a running list of what's coming, whether I've paid, or they charge when it's shipped, where I ordered from, and an approximate delivery date on my phone. When it arrives it comes off the list. :)

I'm glad paypal extended the amount of time you're allowed to file a claim, hopefully this won't happen again to anyone.

I ordered a shirt directly from The End Of This Ocean about two years ago. One day realized I didn't get it, then wrote them at their store add and on FB. Was in time to file a paypal and got my money back. One of the members JUST wrote me back and blamed it on the person handling the orders. I told them I got the money and I'm over them. Bands/labels who treat their customers like crap can go get fcked. There is a dude on these boards that did a similar thing. I don't support his band anymore.

I've considered doing something like this so often. I guess in the back of my mind it seems like a 'dick move', but hey, so is taking people's money and not sending anything.

I've only run into this problem a couple times and I hear you with the feeling the dick move part.  I've opened PayPal disputes and gotten my money back.  But I think twice it's happened I've ordered directly from bands and then opened disputes to find out they've been on tour and then they have to find someone to ship my order because now this dispute is open.  I have a tough time listening to those albums now because I feel like a jerk.

Right now I'm still waiting on that Plan-It-X comp that got Kickstarted last year.  They've pushed back the release date so many times that I'm starting to worry that Chris Clavin just used the money to pay his rent or something.

It's not a loss my friend. This is what I do when a label doesn't want to get back to me within 5 fucking weekdays. That Saturday morning comes, I get on my laptop. I fucking sit there and write the e-mail. Then I send that mother fucker 20 times minimum. So it clogs up their shitty ass free g-mail client and when they open their client, they'll see only your e-mail. Had to do this some shitty label in Portland and to Captured Tracks back in the day. Labels need to stop expecting the whole, "Oh we're small run label and we're so busy" bullshit. If you're running a business and providing a product and a customer gave you their money, hard earned money, for said "date" you got to pay the piper.

You seem like an awful person

I've only run into this problem a couple times and I hear you with the feeling the dick move part. I've opened PayPal disputes and gotten my money back. But I think twice it's happened I've ordered directly from bands and then opened disputes to find out they've been on tour and then they have to find someone to ship my order because now this dispute is open. I have a tough time listening to those albums now because I feel like a jerk.

Right now I'm still waiting on that Plan-It-X comp that got Kickstarted last year. They've pushed back the release date so many times that I'm starting to worry that Chris Clavin just used the money to pay his rent or something.

Bloomington rent prices do suck, but I highly doubt that happened. I don't know him personally, but the dude who runs the skateshop talks very highly of Chris and PIX.

You seem like an awful person

Wildflanges of the world can sometimes help keep sellers honest while the rest of us do the patient, nice-guy, sensitive vinyl collector thing.  If it were all vinyl sweethearts, some folks would never get around to their half of the whole buyer/seller agreement.

I've only run into this problem a couple times and I hear you with the feeling the dick move part.  I've opened PayPal disputes and gotten my money back.  But I think twice it's happened I've ordered directly from bands and then opened disputes to find out they've been on tour and then they have to find someone to ship my order because now this dispute is open.  I have a tough time listening to those albums now because I feel like a jerk.

Right now I'm still waiting on that Plan-It-X comp that got Kickstarted last year.  They've pushed back the release date so many times that I'm starting to worry that Chris Clavin just used the money to pay his rent or something.

Right. Like, the White Coyote guy. It was supposed to be a small run tape out of 9, probably because he didn't really expect people to buy it. And then I posted it to Cassette Collective and he got bought out in a day. I think he said he was dissatisfied with the way they came out so he got someone else to do it right. Now, I realize it's stupid to put things up for sale if you're 'not ready' to sell them or if they're low quality. And I understand that what I said doesn't justify an 8 month wait for some tapes to be made. I guess I'd rather be cool with this guy rather than being the angry consumer to your producer. I've bugged people like Big Bill and Bewilderbeast on Facebook for dumb little tapes, and even though it took months they seem to come through in the end. I guess I always hope it can work like that. 

I had the "well shucks, we had no idea making 20 lathe cut records would take so long, we have no idea how to ship them, now we don't have anything to ship them in" problem with the band The Box Tiger.

Waited patiently with a few emails here and there and it showed up about 6 months later. A real wild ride.