There should be a library - for records

.flac

Tidal

Cd

Lossless audio on Tidal for 20 bucks a month (the cost of one record these days), and a DAC = less than half of the record you mentioned in the OP. I prefer vinyl playback too, but there are other ways out there to get great sound quality until a record gets repressed or you're able to find/afford a particular record. Its a big world out there.

Listening to the stuff on a computer or mp3 player with earbuds is less-than-satisfying when you know that you're missing out on a more richly-detailed experience.

Things pop out in the mix more on vinyl, and the music is so much more spatial and full.

Your setup sucks though stop talking with this much passion.

It's not really that farfetched to think that someone, at some point might donate their vinyl collection to a library. Sure, checking the records out to people would be dumb, but there's no reason they couldn't have supervised listening stations (in a similar manner to which they allow people to look at rare and expensive books).

(Yes, I'm dumb, my comment is dumb and I should feel bad about it and stuff, etc, etc)

Listening to the stuff on a computer or mp3 player with earbuds is less-than-satisfying when you know that you're missing out on a more richly-detailed experience.

Things pop out in the mix more on vinyl, and the music is so much more spatial and full.

This is meaningless internet audiophile jargon. 99% chance that all the music you're talking about was recorded digitally anyway, if the digital version sounds bad you should blame the mastering engineer. I own records that sound like garbage compared to the mp3s. If you want to talk about hearing the voice of God through your turntable, I'd recommend /r/vinyl.

Of course listening to an mp3 on earbuds is going to sound worse than anything played through a stereo system (quality of system notwithstanding).

There is always going to be an element of bias - you will believe the vinyl sounds better than a paltry CD. Yeah, it's hard to get over, but, well... get over it. Enjoy the music on whatever medium you use - even if it doesn't have the "richly detailed experience" that you think vinyl has, and move past the utter shame and guilt of  - gulp - buying the music on CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll never understand why people like to make fun of others so much, or rag on their enjoyment of something. (looking at you zoidberg)

Pretty fucking lame, if you ask me. And for that, I will keep this thread going :)

Of course listening to an mp3 on earbuds is going to sound worse than anything played through a stereo system (quality of system notwithstanding).

There is always going to be an element of bias - you will believe the vinyl sounds better than a paltry CD. Yeah, it's hard to get over, but, well... get over it. Enjoy the music on whatever medium you use - even if it doesn't have the "richly detailed experience" that you think vinyl has, and move past the utter shame and guilt of  - gulp - buying the music on CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha I buy both! Vinyl for home, CD for the car.

The earbud thing was a mistake on my part, as I was trying to convey the fact that other mediums don't sound as great and satisfying, rather than imply that that's what I do.

I only ever wear headphones when I go bike riding, but its only a fraction of the time that I actually play music. The dangly wires are annoying when you're cutting through trees and brush on paths 'n stuff.

But you're right, sometimes a record does sound not-as-good as the CD.

Russian Circles - Memorial is a case-in-point for me. Discovered that album, and ordered the vinyl... got it and threw it on and was like "hmmm.... this is not blowing me away like I thought it would." The sound just wasn't right. Very odd.

Whereas things like Isis - "Wavering Radiant" and Opeth's "Deliverance" sound wayyy more awesome on vinyl than they do on CD (as good as the CD versions already are).

I'll never understand why people like to make fun of others so much, or rag on their enjoyment of something. (looking at you zoidberg)

Pretty fucking lame, if you ask me. And for that, I will keep this thread going :)

Haha I buy both! Vinyl for home, CD for the car.

The earbud thing was a mistake on my part, as I was trying to convey the fact that other mediums don't sound as great and satisfying, rather than imply that that's what I do.

I only ever wear headphones when I go bike riding, but its only a fraction of the time that I actually play music. The dangly wires are annoying when you're cutting through trees and brush on paths 'n stuff.

But you're right, sometimes a record does sound not-as-good as the CD.

Russian Circles - Memorial is a case-in-point for me. Discovered that album, and ordered the vinyl... got it and threw it on and was like "hmmm.... this is not blowing me away like I thought it would." The sound just wasn't right. Very odd.

Whereas things like Isis - "Wavering Radiant" and Opeth's "Deliverance" sound wayyy more awesome on vinyl than they do on CD (as good as the CD versions already are).

What you're doing is the same as going to a show for a band where you've only heard their latest record but it blew you away. So much so that you go out of your way to obnoxiously tell everyone else there how awesome the band is but only in a way that shows you really like the band but don't know any of their other music. Everyone at the show already likes the band and they're excited, but you're over excessive to the point where it doesn't look like genuine joy anymore. I'm sure ALL of us have vinyl boners/bonerettes but damn man, put it away. I get it, you've seen the light and that's great... but the light you're looking at is a dim flickering bulb compared to the bright spotlight the media is capable of producing.

I guess you can take something positive from my post, if you like what you hear now wait 'til you start upgrading your setup and you'll be in heaven.

What you're doing is the same as going to a show for a band where you've only heard their latest record but it blew you away. So much so that you go out of your way to obnoxiously tell everyone else there how awesome the band is but only in a way that shows you really like the band but don't know any of their other music. Everyone at the show already likes the band and they're excited, but you're over excessive to the point where it doesn't look like genuine joy anymore. I'm sure ALL of us have vinyl boners/bonerettes but damn man, put it away. I get it, you've seen the light and that's great... but the light you're looking at is a dim flickering bulb compared to the bright spotlight the media is capable of producing.

I guess you can take something positive from my post, if you like what you hear now wait 'til you start upgrading your setup and you'll be in heaven.

Ehhh I see your point, but its more like I've finally found a place where I can talk about this shit with other people. I've been doing this for the last 5 years or so now, which I know is a pittance when compared to older people like you (assuming) who are in their 40's and 50's and have been at this for 20+ years. What's wrong with being excited? This is just how I am, haha. Why would you want to be living a life WITHOUT things that make you freak out?

And also, that last part... see, that wasn't so hard to say something nice now, was it? lol

I have "Determinism Of Morality" on orange with screenprinted alternate cover art /50. No, I will not let you borrow it; the library is closed.

Pics or it didn't happen?