E3 2015

Kind of like Thomas said; I think most of the "hype" has to do with the director and art style of the game. Playstation 2's Shadow of the Colossus is considered one of the best, most original games in recent history. It was fresh, innovative, and mesmerizing – lots of games have tried to replicate it over the years, but no one has been able to capture the scope. (At least in my opinion.) And for me, half the appeal of SOTC was the way it unfolds. You're sort of just plopped into this beautiful, eerie world with no real direction. There is no HUD to guide you to your next objective. There are no elaborate skill tree or stats to dissect as you level your character. The game basically gives you an ambiguous goal (slay big monsters), a horse for traveling, and... that's it. I love that [fairly] minimal approach.

I think that if you were familiar with SOTC, you'd definitely understand the buzz. The studio behind it (and ICO, and Last Guardian) have a very unique style, and craft truly exhilarating moments. Before I even knew what The Last Guardian even was, the first view of an old trailer had me thinking "Oh shit, is this a Shadows sequel?" The art style and game world is just unmistakably original. And to me, it's sort of mysterious, haunting, beautiful, and inviting all at once. Every environment from the trailers just begs to be examined and soaked in, from what I've seen.

Another reason why this year's reveal / trailer was such a big deal is because - as you're probably aware - the game's development has been on and off for the last 6-8 years. A huge part of that can be attributed to the fact it's being reworked for the PS4, I'm sure, and I think the wait will be entirely worth it. But for a while there, it was a total rollercoaster – development being put on official hiatus, and then rumored to cease, and then sparked up again when the company renewed the rights to the title, out of the blue. To have a release date of "2016", as vague as that is, is huge news that I'm elated for.

I'm expecting a gorgeous puzzle game with no shortage of jaw-droppingly incredibly environments and sequences. Even if the game proves to be fairly linear and offers little replay value, if it leaves a last impact comparable to SOTC, I'm all for it. That game is a masterpiece, and something that really sticks around to those who play it in full.

That was a really good Dark Souls description until you got to skill trees haha.

hahaha kingdom hearts calls me back to having a ps2 and hardcore conservative parents that wouldn't let me play violent video games. I sort of hate played that game forever. Most of it was insufferable. But, the arena fights against cloud and shit when you start unlocking the badass keyblades were okay. I won't buyt it hwne it comes out but i'll pick it up for 5 bucks 2 years later and hate-nostalgia my way through it, maybe.

Yes, been wanting Firewatch. Without action, I'm curious how expansive and re-playable the game will be. There's a couple of exploration indie games that last only a few hours, that have been released on Steam. Although their names escape me. As long as this has a strong narrative, and hopefully retains the humor, I'll be satisfied.

Now I just gotta save up for a PC build.

Anybody else a little disappointed with what Nintendo brought to the table? Still plenty of good games coming out, we just unfortunately already knew about them all.

That Nintendo presentation was HORRIBLE. My god...I haven't bought a non-Nintendo console game in years but that (minus Star Fox) really makes me lose faith in them as a video game company. I do not give a shit about Amiibos one bit. That new "Metroid" game is like a kick in the nuts - give us a new 2D Metroid for fuck's sake! Release date for a Yoshi game that was announced last E3? Get the fuck out of here.

hahaha kingdom hearts calls me back to having a ps2 and hardcore conservative parents that wouldn't let me play violent video games. I sort of hate played that game forever. Most of it was insufferable. But, the arena fights against cloud and shit when you start unlocking the badass keyblades were okay. I won't buyt it hwne it comes out but i'll pick it up for 5 bucks 2 years later and hate-nostalgia my way through it, maybe.

You hate KH? Are you crazy?

Edit: scratch that, I get not liking them and do think it is nostalgia. I forgot that the platforming in those games is laughable.