E3 2015

Sony won tonight if not the whole E3 2015 - Opened with The Last Guardian - continued with FFVII Remake - and then.....SHENMUE 3!!!!!!!! 

I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!! Shenmue is my favorite game series and after 14 years the fans will have a conclusion. Yeah, SONY won this!!

I have already donated to the Shenmue Kickstarter and it is already at $1.2 Million in 3 hours with a $2 Million goal. 

Holy shit, Shenmue 3? We finally get a conclusion to that story after all these years?

Edit: I'd love to donate, but a preorder 2+ years in advance? No thanks crowd funding.

so, can someone sum up the last guardian thing for me? Game looks cool and all but I must have missed the hype train all those years back. it looks like some sort of semi-Last Airbender story, in a puzzle game?

Anyone care to shed some light?

Kind of like Thomas said; I think most of the "hype" has to do with the director and art style of the game.  Playstation 2's Shadow of the Colossus is considered one of the best, most original games in recent history.  It was fresh, innovative, and mesmerizing – lots of games have tried to replicate it over the years, but no one has been able to capture the scope.  (At least in my opinion.)  And for me, half the appeal of SOTC was the way it unfolds.  You're sort of just plopped into this beautiful, eerie world with no real direction.  There is no HUD to guide you to your next objective.  There are no elaborate skill tree or stats to dissect as you level your character.  The game basically gives you an ambiguous goal (slay big monsters), a horse for traveling, and... that's it.  I love that [fairly] minimal approach.

I think that if you were familiar with SOTC, you'd definitely understand the buzz.  The studio behind it (and ICO, and Last Guardian) have a very unique style, and craft truly exhilarating moments.  Before I even knew what The Last Guardian even was, the first view of an old trailer had me thinking "Oh shit, is this a Shadows sequel?"  The art style and game world is just unmistakably original.  And to me, it's sort of mysterious, haunting, beautiful, and inviting all at once.  Every environment from the trailers just begs to be examined and soaked in, from what I've seen.

Another reason why this year's reveal / trailer was such a big deal is because - as you're probably aware - the game's development has been on and off for the last 6-8 years.  A huge part of that can be attributed to the fact it's being reworked for the PS4, I'm sure, and I think the wait will be entirely worth it.  But for a while there, it was a total rollercoaster – development being put on official hiatus, and then rumored to cease, and then sparked up again when the company renewed the rights to the title, out of the blue.  To have a release date of "2016", as vague as that is, is huge news that I'm elated for.

I'm expecting a gorgeous puzzle game with no shortage of jaw-droppingly incredibly environments and sequences.  Even if the game proves to be fairly linear and offers little replay value, if it leaves a last impact comparable to SOTC, I'm all for it.  That game is a masterpiece, and something that really sticks around to those who play it in full.

Cool :). Is it like a full game, or an indie? I just can't imagine paying 60 bucks for a puzzle game. Admittedly, it looks good. Despite the huge Ang and Oppa vibes I get from the two in the video. Looks interesting :) Wish I had played SotC, it sounds cool.

It'll be a full game, for sure.  I'm trying to keep expectations realistic, but I'm really hoping it's a lengthy adventure – I can't imagine a quick, one-hour journey taking years and years to port over to a new console.  It's just going to be interesting to see how much content and replay value will be loaded into that price-tag.  But for as cliché as it sounds, I predict it to be closer to digital, interactive art than something like a multiplayer experience.

I really wish SOTC would get ported to the PS4, or made available for digital purchase.  I recently picked up the HD remaster to play on the family's PS3 when I can, and it's great stuff.

Sony has the games for sure, but xbox has that desperation. Sonys architecture has been absolute garbage for online the past year, and it wasn't all lizard squad. Random "maintenance" periods where everything is down but the website still shows all green is garbage. Ps now is garbage. The free games have been, for the most part, garbage.

I still think I made the right call, but im still hoping Sony can do better than a nice controller and a few exclusives that set it apart from xbone

needs_more_jpg_king_of_the_hill.gif 

But in all seriousness; at least temporarily.  "Play it first on Playstation 4" is such a weird tagline to add at the end of that trailer.  And with the latest Square Enix titles (including FF15) being on both platforms, it's tough to say what will happen.

Wish I had played SotC, it sounds cool.

Another thing that sets these games apart, at least for me, and the thing that turned me into a big weepy bitch when I saw that trailer, is that the games are just so bleak but wonderful too. 

The plot of Ico is this huge exploration of exile and struggle and especially the last few moments really hit me (I don't want to spoil it).

SotC is bigger in scope but more personal, the basic plot is you play as Wander, and Mono (your character's lady friend) is dead but there's a person who can bring her back, that person wants you to kill the big giant monsters (colossi). Again this story kind of ends with a pretty serious amount of emotional baggage.

As much as those are terrible descriptions these games are great. And this next one looks to be great too. 

needs_more_jpg_king_of_the_hill.gif

But in all seriousness; at least temporarily.  "Play it first on Playstation 4" is such a weird tagline to add at the end of that trailer.  And with the latest Square Enix titles (including FF15) being on both platforms, it's tough to say what will happen.

I think there is a better than average chance at a timed exclusive, not a true exclusive. Otherwise, they'd say so. I fully expect to play this on an Xbox. 

I think both companies had decent Keynotes. I didn't see much to win converts from either side, but if you've got one or both consoles there is a lot to be excited about. 

Sony has the games for sure, but xbox has that desperation. Sonys architecture has been absolute garbage for online the past year, and it wasn't all lizard squad. Random "maintenance" periods where everything is down but the website still shows all green is garbage. Ps now is garbage. The free games have been, for the most part, garbage.

I still think I made the right call, but im still hoping Sony can do better than a nice controller and a few exclusives that set it apart from xbone

xbone voice commands never work, the cable integration makes TV quality tank, the bluray player is horrible, and the OS is shit. don't fall for the gimmicks, PS4 is the superior console by far. I just wanted the xbone for halo and other exclusives.