PO: NOW! - Caspian - Dust and Disquiet (9/25/15)

What's your setup?

Certainly not my set-up, thought the Grado does pick-up a lot more surface noise than my old AT120E.

That's a bummer dude. Contact newbury. Matts newbury sounds pretty flawless so it seems like you got a lemon.

I bought it 2nd hand from a user here, so doubt they'd be much help. It's either a bad copy, or prior owner's set-up destroyed it. About to head to the local record store, will snag whatever they have to compare if they have any copies. 

There were a couple spots where it sounded like one of the guitars cut out. I figured it was from a faulty cable or something, but I feel like they're professional enough to make sure that kind of shit doesn't happen.

yes, most likely cable...but  a lack of professionalism? You lost me there...

That was an intense set and compared to the live show, they were pretty subdued until Arcs - love it when Phil ribs the headphones off.

At a RC concert, Sullivan was tapping like a madman on his pedalboard and accidentally uncabled one of the pedals -- the best part was Brian Cook laughing his arse off the whole time Mike was scrambling to get it plugged back in and catch up on the track.

I think I'm with Matt right now with a tie for Darkfield and Arcs, but not kicking any of the others, man.  When Phil tweeted last year the musical ideas were just flowing out and epic stuff was happening, I knew he wasn't hyping, but just couldn't picture where they would be going. D&D is flawless.

It's not exactly an easy decision, but for me, Arcs of Command trumps Darkfield.  There are so many great moment strung through it, but - without fail - the chugging guitar in the background at 5:56 gets me so hyped.  And whatever magic is being worked at 6:24 - that whirlwind of guitars and feedback, backdropped over the massive crashing of drums - makes me shit bricks every time I revisit the album.

It's not exactly an easy decision, but for me, Arcs of Command trumps Darkfield. There are so many great moment strung through it, but - without fail - the chugging guitar in the background at 5:56 gets me so hyped. And whatever magic is being worked at 6:24 - that whirlwind of guitars and feedback, backdropped over the massive crashing of drums - makes me shit bricks every time I revisit the album.

This is all very accurate. Especially the mention of bricks being shit.

Personally, I can't get over how heartbreaking the title track is. It might be their most melancholic and touching song yet. It gets to me every time. I always found Caspian to be one of the greats in the realms of post-rock. With D&D, they've transcended any and all genre-specifications and delivered a crushingly loud, yet truly affecting and brilliantly crafted masterpiece.

yes, most likely cable...but  a lack of professionalism? You lost me there...

That was an intense set and compared to the live show, they were pretty subdued until Arcs - love it when Phil ribs the headphones off.

At a RC concert, Sullivan was tapping like a madman on his pedalboard and accidentally uncabled one of the pedals -- the best part was Brian Cook laughing his arse off the whole time Mike was scrambling to get it plugged back in and catch up on the track.

I think I'm with Matt right now with a tie for Darkfield and Arcs, but not kicking any of the others, man.  When Phil tweeted last year the musical ideas were just flowing out and epic stuff was happening, I knew he wasn't hyping, but just couldn't picture where they would be going. D&D is flawless.

Just when you think Gumbo can't say something worse than his previous idiotic statements he does. Haha.

Guess what, guy, cables fail. It doesn't matter how 'professional' you are:

oTTcOys.jpg

(Phil's cable that he used since Waking Season.)

You're absolutely right, Don, D&D is flawless. I think this might be a record when my favorite track will shift depending on my mood / what's going on in my life. Darkfield is the song that grabbed my attention, the only one I listened to before receiving the LP(s) in the mail. So that might be why it's pulling ahead for me.

It's not exactly an easy decision, but for me, Arcs of Command trumps Darkfield.  There are so many great moment strung through it, but - without fail - the chugging guitar in the background at 5:56 gets me so hyped.  And whatever magic is being worked at 6:24 - that whirlwind of guitars and feedback, backdropped over the massive crashing of drums - makes me shit bricks every time I revisit the album.

I feel you on that, dude. That are both amazing. Funny thing is I played the two back to back right after I read that, and was like 'Derek, you sly mother fucker'. Can you really pick a favorite song by Caspian and be wrong though? They are all just so unique and wonderful in their own right. But god damn, Arcs is so up there. This record at times feels like one cohesive song, and I love that. It all just flows so well. Caspian really outdid themselves.

I think you're on to something, Derek. T-shirt design: 'Caspian made me shit bricks'.

Personally, I can't get over how heartbreaking the title track is. It might be their most melancholic and touching song yet. It gets to me every time. I always found Caspian to be one of the greats in the realms of post-rock. With D&D, they've transcended any and all genre-specifications and delivered a crushingly loud, yet truly affecting and brilliantly crafted masterpiece.

Very well put.

Arcs is def my favorite from the album. I always gravitate more towards the heavier realm of any genre. And the Deftones-esque riffage friggin rules. However, Rioseco seems to get better & better the more I listen. It's still astonishing how many different things are happening on this album yet how it all flows together perfectly. It's such a complete experience listening to this album.

Arcs is def my favorite from the album. I always gravitate more towards the heavier realm of any genre. And the Deftones-esque riffage friggin rules. However, Rioseco seems to get better & better the more I listen. It's still astonishing how many different things are happening on this album yet how it all flows together perfectly. It's such a complete experience listening to this album.

That's why I think it's so hard to choose a favorite. They are all different, yet amazing in their own right, while flowing so well into one another. It's definitely my album of the year.

That Audiotree session is one of the best things I've ever watched. It was my first live Caspian experience. Had my nice cans on & had goosebumps watching it. I hadn't known about how they played Sycamore before that so I was FLOORED.

That audiotree session was one of my first live experiences with them also. It's pretty breathtaking.

That Audiotree session is one of the best things I've ever watched. It was my first live Caspian experience. Had my nice cans on & had goosebumps watching it. I hadn't known about how they played Sycamore before that so I was FLOORED.

Seeing their live version of Sycamore is definitely an amazing experience. It's pretty much the best song I've ever seen live.

(The only thing I dislike about Audio is those ridiculously awkward DJs and their asinine questions. In the Turnover one the dude asks what members use smartphones. Are you fucking kidding me...). I remember hearing Sycamore live for the first time back in like '09. I didn't fully realize what I just heard, what I just saw. It was so overwhelming. I was pretty breath-taken to be honest. I don't think any other song does that to me like Sycamore does. It, after all, is my favorite song ever.

In my opinion, no one puts more heart into their songs than Caspian does.

I love Audiotree sessions, but fuck their DJs are annoying/awkward as fuck. I wish their was a way to get a video without their questions, without having to cut it up myself. That Caspian session is amazing.

I'm going to jump in on this conversation. I agree that it is difficult to pick a favorite song but i am actually viewing this record more in sections than in songs. Someone mentioned above about the whole album as one song, which I kind of agree. But anyways, here are my sections:

Intro: Sep No 2

Section 1: Rioseco; Arcs; Echo and Abyss

interlude: Run Dry; Equal Night

Section 2:  Sad Heart of Mine; Darkfield

Section 3: Aeternum Vale; Dust & Disquiet

To me, the songs in each section belong with one another and I have a difficult time listening to one song alone. I think the whole album is wonderful. But, I've got to say that my section 1 is one of the best 3 song sequence of any album, not just Caspian's. Just outstanding. I dont' think I have superlatives that can describe it. 

Damn, so happy they are a band.