Deafheaven - New Bermuda

If you purchased a white record (or any other colour) and it had a several large marks on it that were clearly not meant to be there, you wouldn't ask for a replacement? 

No. Probably upwards of 75% of white vinyl has marks on it.

Pressing plants make many colors. Black shows up on white vinyl.

It's probably good that you'll be playing this on a turntable and it won't affect playback at all.

I think a pretty big determining factor in a refund will be whether those black lines are a marbling effect that's pressed into the variant itself, or if there are post-press markings / scratches that effect play. The descriptions sounds like the latter, which is grounds for a return. (Having an alternation in the colorway is not, though.)

No. Probably upwards of 75% of white vinyl has marks on it.

Pressing plants make many colors. Black shows up on white vinyl.

It's probably good that you'll be playing this on a turntable and it won't affect playback at all.

I have never had serious markings on any coloured records that i've purchased. I can accept a small blemish here and there, but these are dark black lines inches long.

If you purchased a white record (or any other colour) and it had a several large marks on it that were clearly not meant to be there, you wouldn't ask for a replacement? 

If it has impact on the playability to the point that its not enjoyable, yes, I would.

If its nothing but color residue from a previous pressing the machine made that doesn't affect playing in any way, absolutely not.

I buy records to listen to them. I don't give a fuck if they're pretty or not.

I think a pretty big determining factor in a refund will be whether those black lines are a marbling effect that's pressed into the variant itself, or if there are post-press markings / scratches that effect play. The descriptions sounds like the latter, which is grounds for a return. (Having an alternation in the colorway is not, though.)

Yep, 100% not part of the marbling!

My pink copy has black streaks (and green). It sounds great.

Also, if I purchased a white record, and it had black in it, I would assume they had just pressed a black record, and then it would never cross my mind again.

Fair enough, personal preference obviously, but if I've paid X amount for something that I worked hard to buy, I have a limit of what I can write off as an acceptable amount of damage and defects.

Fair enough, personal preference obviously, but if I've paid X amount for something that I worked hard to buy, I have a limit of what I can write off as an acceptable amount of damage and defects.

As long as it doesn't affect the playability of the record, it's neither damage nor defect.

The jury is still out on whether or not what you're talking about is actually damage. Upload a pic. Or better yet, play it.

it's not damage, or a defect.

You're paying for a circular 12 inch slab of variable color that plays music.

Does the slab play music? 

You got what you paid for.

If you feel the urge to MURDER anyone involved with a black streak on a white record you should probably start your own label called Third Reich UberVinyl and only sell that sweet pure white.

What is with everyone here? I can't ask a simple question about whether anyone else had damage and marking to their records without being bombarded with sarcasm and interrogation?!

You have no idea how many times someone has a situation similar to yours. 95% of the time the record plays fine. It gets annoying. That's why people are reacting this way.

What is with everyone here? I can't ask a simple question about whether anyone else had damage and marking to their records without being bombarded with sarcasm and interrogation?!

You have not made a clear statement regarding the playability of your record. If those streaks affect playing and render your copy unenjoyable, return it. If you don't like the looks of it and return it because of that, despite it being 100% fine, you're a dick. That's all.

Also, maybe labels should just go back to pressing black vinyl. Seriously. What you are paying for is the sound quality and playability of the record. Think of the color of the record as a bonus for buying vinyl. It's not the labels fault if the color isn't exactly as they predicted. Nor can they take the hit to scrap 1,000 records and repress them on NEON IN YOUR FUCKING FACE PINK.

Had the colored vinyl been more expensive, then I would be a little annoyed too. I still wouldn't request a refund.

As long as it doesn't affect the playability of the record, it's neither damage nor defect.

So what you're basically saying is that if an item (whatever it may be) is marked / coloured etc. differently to what was advertised at the time of purchase, that is OK? Personally, I don't find that acceptable, but hey that's just my opinion. Obviously how the record plays is most important, but I do still care a lot about how my vinyl collection looks... Again, that's just my opinion. If you don't agree and have a different outlook on things, that's cool, but there's no need for everyone to jump down my throat because I simply asked a question and gave my thoughts!

So what you're basically saying is that if an item (whatever it may be) is marked / coloured etc. differently to what was advertised at the time of purchase, that is OK? Personally, I don't find that acceptable, but hey that's just my opinion. Obviously how the record plays is most important, but I do still care a lot about how my vinyl collection looks... Again, that's just my opinion. If you don't agree and have a different outlook on things, that's cool, but there's no need for everyone to jump down my throat because I simply asked a question and gave my thoughts!

You should stop collecting vinyl records.

It's an imperfect medium. That's part of what makes it "art".

Then your opinion is cancerous. It's a bummer when a color doesn't come as described but these are giant metal mechanical beasts made 50 years ago to heat up and melt plastic between metal plates. If you can't wrap your head around the fact that it's not something made to exact specifications by inputting something into a computer then you should watch some videos on the process or something, it isn't that hard to understand.