Sonic Youth Geffen Era Reissues!

Sounds cool, which album should I listen to first?

This is a very difficult question with this band.   They evolved so much over the years.    Daydream Nation is probably their landmark album, but it can be an alienating listen if you don't know what you are getting into.   Goo/Dirty are their albums from the grunge era (they were a huge influence on many, many bands including Nirvana).  A lot of people would tell you to start there.  But my favorite albums are from this era that is being reissued.   A Thousand Leaves, Murray Street and Washing Machine.   Sonic Nurse kicks some serious ass too.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll probably get a copy of Goo as I only have the MFSL on vinyl. And while I LOVE the way the MFSL sounds, I would say it's not really "true" to the sound of the original release.

Can you elaborate a little bit why you feel the MFSL is not really "true" to the sound of the original?

I always thought the MFSL pressings were as close to the studio master tape as possible.

Does the MFSL feature an alternate "earlier" mix or something?

Can you elaborate a little bit why you feel the MFSL is not really "true" to the sound of the original?

I always thought the MFSL pressings were as close to the studio master tape as possible.

Does the MFSL feature an alternate "earlier" mix or something?

MFSL releases have had varying results over the years as applied EQ and mastering decisions were made to the recordings. It's not a different mix or take or anything like that. Some turned out better than others and some were and are just different.

I find the MSFL Goo to very clean and smooth with good space for each instrument. The vocals are pushed more up front in the mix, as well. It has great dynamics and detail that I don't hear on any other version of the album. Is that bad thing? No, I love it. Does that description sound like a Sonic Youth album from that period? Again, no. In Daydream - Dirty, the albums have a "wall of sound" feel to them. Loud, noisy post-punk turned alternative stadium rock, pushing the boundaries of what popular music can be. The audiophile pop sound of the MSFL is cool, but I also think it lacks just a bit of authenticity to the production of the time for Goo.

Again, not bad, just different.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought these all got pushed back to January. Where did you order from?

Got 'Dirty' today - 'Washing Machine' comes tomorrow...sound greakin' awesome! Inner sleeves are cool and the DL code is in CD format with the OG cover art - sweet! Back To Black just does a pretty good job!