PO: David Bowie - Blackstar - Jan. 8, 2016

gmoney

I no shame have a framed copy of the White People For Peace 7" that is signed by the whole band. I wanted to display it as well as keep it safe and that seemed like the best way to do it. It's probably my favorite piece in my collection. I also really like that it's signed Tom Gabel rather than LJG because it's neat and something you probably can't get anymore.

Have fun with warped vinyl a few years down the line with keeping a record sealed. It can't breath in the shrinkwrap, and the temperature changes will cause it to shrink, and warp the record.

Have fun with warped vinyl a few years down the line with keeping a record sealed. It can't breath in the shrinkwrap, and the temperature changes will cause it to shrink, and warp the record.

In his defense, this doesn't happen nearly as much as people think. Substantial temp changes will warp a record the same whether sealed or unsealed. In my experience, most sealed records keep pretty well as long as you treat them nicely. But, I get that people want to throw whatever neg vibes they can at people who scored a copy of a record they weren't as fortunate to get.

LOL at the warping. There's a lot more than goes into than just time. There's temps, humidity etc.

I just recently sold a Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet on Discogs. I've owned since 1986 when it was released. The buyer asked me to open it before shipping. No warps, go figure. In the event I DO buy a warped record, I use my Vinyl Flat.

I have lots of sealed records that I've bought new over the years. I frequently buy 2 copies of an LP if I feel the need.

I've seen it quite a few times, so don't act like it does not happen. Why buy a record to keep it sealed, unless you're planning to make money of it? If that's your intention, just say it, I don't give a shit, but don't act like it's not.

I've seen it quite a few times, so don't act like it does not happen. Why buy a record to keep it sealed, unless you're planning to make money of it? If that's your intention, just say it, I don't give a shit, but don't act like it's not.

many collectors keep extra copies of their favorite items.

Buy sleeves. There's really no reason to keep anything shrinkwrapped. Like, what are the pros to doing that?

To resell for a huge profit of course.

This thread went straight into the looney bin...

Shrink-wrap ruins records? Damn, I should go to my local shops to tell them all that those new albums that have been on display for years are ruined and should probably be thrown in the dollar bin.

I understand that shrink-wrap is not good for a record, but to basically say his record will be warped (no questions asked) by keeping it in shrink-wrap is nothing more than throwing shade.

Back on topic... love this record, but by the time I had the chance to listen the whole 'situation' happened. I'm going to put a timer on and take a look at prices / used-bin in a year. 

First off, I don't plan on selling it, so if you don't know the whole picture, I wouldn't say anything. Secondly, last RSD, I was lucky enough to get the "Sweet Thrash" Paul McCartney "signed" album that was hidden in bins. Still haven't opened that, don't ever plan on selling it, but again, an awesome add to my collection. The Bowie clear version and the McCartney release are the only two I've ever thought about framing. 

Note: It's not my property, I can't tell you what or whatnot to do with it, just stating an opinion. By all means frame it, just don't think it'll keep you from any scrutiny on a forum for people who enjoy listening to music. At least frame it properly too.