PO: David Bowie - Blackstar - Jan. 8, 2016

gmoney

This is hilarious. Specially the part that the clear thick sleeve of this is made out of PVC and it will fuck up the record more than any warping you have ever seen. Basically what happens is some kind of a chemical reaction which starts to melt the grooves, visually the record turns paler through time (5 years or so). I thought it was BS until I saw this on my couple of Nuclear Blast records.

I'm pretty sure the clear sleeve is a poly sleeve and not PVC, but ok

The only valid reason to keep Blackstar in the shrink is that dope parental advisory sticker.

Hahahahaha! That was the only reason I was going to leave the shrinkwrap on and cut a slit to get the record out....in the end I prefer to see the artwork and toss the shrink....but stil funny as hell ... The last time I remember those was back when I was too young to buy the damn music!

I just wish someone at Barnes had a damn clue as to whether more will be available. I've called the stores, talked in person to an employee, and written them on the website and no one knows anything. I did have a good conversation with the lady at the store. She was saying she can't listen to Blackstar because it makes her too sad. I was telling her that I loved it because it is his goodbye note from outer space.

It won't be the end of the world if I don't get a clear, but the collector in me wants one. The black one looks sweet with the cover and sounds great. 

Did anyone ever pick up that Sue RSD 10"? Both of my local shops have it, but wasn't sure if it was really worth it. How different are those versions than on the new album?

I did. They're interesting, to say the least. Sue is almost double in length and the percussion is a lot rawer and gnarlier. It generates a cool trance-like atmosphere because of its length. Tis A Pity doesn't stray too far from its Blackstar equivalent, with only the vocals being slightly more upfront and not as excessive. I don't know though how you'll feel about it considering you're already familiar with the album. Overall I like the 10" version of Sue better and the single is more of a welcome and interesting companion to Blackstar, albeit not essential.

I did. They're interesting, to say the least. Sue is almost double in length and the percussion is a lot rawer and gnarlier. It generates a cool trance-like atmosphere because of its length. Tis A Pity doesn't stray too far from its Blackstar equivalent, with only the vocals being slightly more upfront and not as excessive. I don't know though how you'll feel about it considering you're already familiar with the album. Overall I like the 10" version of Sue better and the single is more of a welcome and interesting companion to Blackstar, albeit not essential.

Thanks! From your description, I'll probably pick it up next time I see it.