PO: Minor Victories - Minor Victories LP (Members of Slowdive, Mogwai, Editors)

jhulud

• 2 weeks later...

This album is not reminiscent of Slowdive, Mogwai, or Editors... but damn, do I love it. I get some really good Blonde Redhead vibes throughout. I had no idea what I was expecting, but it managed to be very different from even that, and I'm stoked on the way it turned out.

You heard the whole thing?

This album is not reminiscent of Slowdive, Mogwai, or Editors... but damn, do I love it.  I get some really good Blonde Redhead vibes throughout.  I had no idea what I was expecting, but it managed to be very different from even that, and I'm stoked on the way it turned out.

I'm totally with you. These two songs are not was I was expecting, coming from the associated bands, but damn do I love it. I can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

Folk Arp sounds a bit like new paths to helicon pt 1 but with vocals.

Pretty sure scattered ashes has James from the twilight sad on vocals. If you haven't heard the twilight sad, for the love of god check them out. Best freaking band to come out of Scotland in a long time. They are touring the US with the cure soon and also playing some headline shows.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

I wouldn't go that far about the review

6 out of 10 is a "failing grade," and they said there are only 2 memorable songs on the entire album. They also said they didn't have the star power to call themselves a supergroup and that Goswell doesn't match up agains Kozelek on the song they sing together. Pretty harsh overall.

it does have some positives in there, but the negatives outweigh then to me because of the score.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

2 minutes ago, skycriesmary said:

Pitchfork has sucked donkey balls for a long time now, nothing new.

Essentially this.

I haven't read the review for myself, Randy, but I can only imagine.  All bullshit and outside hype aside, I've listened to this album a lot over the last month and it is fantastic.  Definitely holds up with repeated listens, too.  The opener is probably the only track that doesn't wow me – I like it, but it's a slow burner with a nice groove, and everything else burns so much brighter for the remainder of the record.  Folk Arp is a strong contender for my song of the year; the second half of it absolutely melts me without fail, and I would award it a small ribbon for Most Consistent Goosebumps in 2016.  Maybe even a placard.

10 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Essentially this.

I haven't read the review for myself, Randy, but I can only imagine.  All bullshit and outside hype aside, I've listened to this album a lot over the last month and it is fantastic.  Definitely holds up with repeated listens, too.  The opener is probably the only track that doesn't wow me – I like it, but it's a slow burner with a nice groove, and everything else burns so much brighter for the remainder of the record.  Folk Arp is a strong contender for my song of the year; the second half of it absolutely melts me without fail, and I would award it a small ribbon for Most Consistent Goosebumps in 2016.  Maybe even a placard.

I'm so excited to get home and listen to it. I've still only heard the first two singles, so I'm amped. 

Gotta write this while I'm listening or I'll forget everything. I rarely do this for records because I don't know the correct terms for a lot of what I'm hearing...I like what I like and I know why, but it's hard to explain sometimes.

Give up the Ghost was good, but nothing that really sucked me in, just a solid song that kind of left me wanting...into A Hundred Ropes which was awesome, but I already knew that because I'd heard it already... The momentum carrying over from A Hundred Ropes into Breaking My Light was where this album really took off for me though. The driving beat going into that song was pretty epic sounding. Scattered Ashes was good, but as I'm starting to write this (during Folk Arp) I guess it didn't really stick with me. I dug Twilight Sad guy's vocals though (I haven't really been into them since their first album, so that was a surprise to me.)

I agree with you that Folk Arp gave me some chills toward the end, it was really beautifully arranged. I love some good swelling string sounds.

I can already tell you that I wish Cogs had been the opener. The kind of tremolo-y (best way I can describe it and that may not even be right.) Was a great start to side 2 and I dug the drums on that track too.

I didn't have For You Always as much as I thought I would...for the most part I can't stand Kozelek. That said, the marimba (sounded like a marimba to me at least) was a nice change up to the general sound of the album, and I dug Mark's voice for once and the song was quirky and kind of cute.

There seemed to be a lack of cohesion for me between For You Always and Out to Sea. That really abrupt ending, and the slow, delayed build on Out to Sea took me out of the moment for a second. I really like Out to Sea for it's slow build, and I've always been a fan of reverb-soaked vocals that get pushed kind of the the backround. The feeling I get from the song actually reminds me a lot of the M83 track Steve McQueen, the quieter build to a really triumphant sound.  Not to get to Gumbo-y, but that song makes me feel like I can do anything. It's weird.

More marimba sound on The Thief. Is this something I just kind of missed/neglected on other tracks? This might be my favorite vocal track from Rachel. I like it when they do the syncopated drum thing too. I forget which song on here I heard some more of that, but it works well for them. This song definitely doesn't seem as long as it actually is.

I'm not crazy about the whispered stuff over the middle part of Higher Hopes. I feel like that's been done to death and I'm over it. It's kind of a cheap trick at this point on a part that's getting ready to really swell up. Overall I like this track though. I almost wish it were a little crunchier and that the build hadn't taken quite so long. Good closer though for sure.

Anywho. That's it!