RSD: Expectations and Best Practices?

I've done some digging but didn't find a lot of specific help, so hope everyone doesn't mind a new thread. I'm pretty new to collecting and haven't ventured out on RSD yet. I'm about an hour from the closest shop and I'm really only after Blue Screen Life. I'm not in love with the RSD concept, but I'm wondering if it's worth a shot. Any advice, specifically regarding the Phoenix AZ area? What are the odds, when should I show up, etc. I know there are mixed feelings about RSD and I'd rather not debate that here, but instead just get an idea of what to expect and how to approach it if you are trying to get a specific album.

I've done some digging but didn't find a lot of specific help, so hope everyone doesn't mind a new thread. I'm pretty new to collecting and haven't ventured out on RSD yet. I'm about an hour from the closest shop and I'm really only after Blue Screen Life. I'm not in love with the RSD concept, but I'm wondering if it's worth a shot. Any advice, specifically regarding the Phoenix AZ area? What are the odds, when should I show up, etc. I know there are mixed feelings about RSD and I'd rather not debate that here, but instead just get an idea of what to expect and how to approach it if you are trying to get a specific album.

show up 45+ minutes early and you should be fine. 

Stinkweeds on Central and Camelback is my go to. Small space and lines like anywhere else, but I went for the Pinback a couple years ago and they had a few. They also regulate how many people are in the store at once. Zia is good but can be quite the madhouse, with their size they get tons of stuff though. I always go after Stinkweeds when shit has died down

Go on eBay and buy Blue Screen Life from one of the many poor unfortunate record stores that need our help for $50+. There are already like 5 postings. Save yourself all the trouble. I already did......

Record Store Day is corrupt beyond repair. My local record store charges people $25.00 to become a "VIP" and get in before everyone else that's waiting on line. Last year I got to watch these people go in, buy EVERYTHING, then immediately put it on eBay. 

best practice for RSD: buy for 25 bucks more on ebay and save yourself the anxiety, frustration and disappointment.

or wait for bullmoose/tons of others to toss their leftovers online the next day... or wait a week for ebay/discogs prices to drop to retail prices.

Don't even bother, buy online the day after

I've never actually found what I was looking for on RSD. In 2012 Anberlin released 2 of their albums for the first time. I went to 3 record stores, struck out. Came home just to find out you could order them online. Now, some stuff states it's only available to record stores but it really just depends. 

I like that RSD makes me wanna wait in line for hours to buy a physical version of something I can hear online. Music has always been my favorite interest, and before I got into vinyl, I had a huge CD collection. Ever since I could drive myself to a store, I've gone to buy stuff on release day and it's still the fuckin' best. I agree that a lot of RSD's hype is lame, but there's a new NOFX 7" and that gets me just as stoked as when I was a kid.

First year I popped in store and asked how it works and when to start queuing. Each store will differ in it's strategy and popularity.

The reason I go to the same shop every year is in part due to their brilliant system. Each customer is given a list of all items the store is carrying whilst they queue ( a full list goes online of what they've got coming ahead of time too). As things go out of stock staff members make announcements to the queue. You simply tick off what you want and as soon as you're in you hand them your list and they fill a bag for you. Afterwards your free to stay in the store and check out their regular stock etc.