Soundgarden- Louder Than Love and Down On The Upside Reissues

Have originals but curious how the remasters will sound

Soundgarden will re-release a standard single LP vinyl of their second full-length studio album, 1989’s Louder Than Love as well as a two-LP 20th anniversary reissue of their seminal 1996 album, Down on the Upside.

Both LPs have been newly remastered from the original analog tapes and will be released by Ume on August 26 with original artwork, together with download cards including 320kbps MP4 AACs.

Louder Than Love, Soundgarden’s second full-length studio album and major label debut was originally released by A&M Records on September 5, 1989, and was the last to include bassist Hiro Yamamoto. UMe is now releasing Louder Than Love in a single-LP 180-gram vinyl edition.

Down on the Upside, Soundgarden’s fifth full-length studio album, released on May 21, 1996, debuting at #2 on the Billboard 200, represented a significant stylistic departure away from alternative metal into a more experimental sound with an emphasis on vocals, melody and more diverse instrumentation. Now, UMe has made Down on the Upside available for the first time as a two-LP 180-gram vinyl set.

Louder Than Love Vinyl Re-release

Louder Than Love

(one-LP Vinyl)

Side One
1. “Ugly Truth”
2. “Hands All Over”
3. “Gun”
4. “Power Trip”
5. “Get on the Snake”
6. “Full on Kevin’s Mom”

Side Two
1. “Loud Love”
2. “I Awake”
3. “No Wrong No Right”
4. “Uncovered”
5. “Big Dumb Sex”
6. “Full On (Reprise)

Down On The Upside Vinyl Re-release

Down On The Upside

(two-LP vinyl)

Side One
1. “Pretty Noose”
2. “Rhinosaur”
3. “Zero Chance”
4. “Dusty”

Side Two
1. “Ty Cobb”
2. “Blow Up the Outside World”
3. “Burden in My Hand”
4. “Never Named”

Side Three
1. “Applebite”
2. “Never the Machine Forever”
3. “Tighter & Tighter”
4. “No Attention:

Side Four
1. “Switch Opens”
2. “Overfloater”
3. “An Unkind”
4. “Boot Camp”

Finally a chance to pick up Louder Than Love for a reasonable price.  I hope the remasters are of good quality.

For Prime members, it's the same price as the Soundgarden store:  https://www.amazon.com/Louder-Than-Love-LP-Soundgarden/dp/B01I0M1A8A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467914507&sr=8-2&keywords=soundgarden+louder+than+love

Edited by sinatra.45

I'm very excited--especially about DOTU--but I'm going to wait for the prices to drop just a bit. I've jumped on a bunch of '90s reissues right away--Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins, Superunknown, etc.--only to see them drop by $8-$10 within a month or two. Doesn't look limited or anything.

Purchased an OP of DOTU on discogs literally about 15 hours before the email was sent out from the band. Of course I then immediately went to check on amazon to see what used prices were going for only to find that there was a remaster listed for $35 with a projected August release date. The price I paid on discogs was way lower than what the album had been going for in the past 10 years so I felt kind of lucky. I should have realized that reissue was coming based on the price. I'm sure the guy who sold this one saw something about it on amazon before he listed his copy.

For some additional info it looks like Bob Ludwig is doing the remastering, which means for sure it's digitally remastered. I'm still interested in DOTU though, Bob still makes great sounding records and hopefully Universal are leaving him alone to do his stuff and not pestering him to "make it loud" like they did with the awful 20th anniversary release of Nirvana's Nevermind. (on the latter they learned their lesson, when they reissued a single LP in 2013 on Geffen they used the AAA lacquers Bernie Grundman cut for ORG in 2009!)

His recent digital remasterings of Springsteen titles were well received.

Edited by dobyblue