PO Soon: TWIN PEAKS

10 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I just want a reproduction of this: https://www.discogs.com/Angelo-Badalamenti-Twin-Peaks-Fire-Walk-With-Me/release/782246  exactly as it was in 1992 so I don't have to drop $200+ on it. No new artwork. No "coffee colored" marble vinyl. No 180g. Just a reproduction of that vinyl LP with that music on it. Why this no happen?

Because Lynch doesn't want it to. And while I dig the nostalgic tug for the original artworks, isn't this all about getting the music sounding good and on wax, affordably? Especially with the FWWM release, the original's fidelity is pretty iffy. This new release will be mastered from the original tapes for vinyl and cut to two LPs. That "should" be a better release. So if Lynch wants artwork that evokes, for him, the feel of his work over the corporate presentations of the original releases, so what? Ultimately, we are probably getting a better record of his and Badalamenti's work and that's the most important part. 

If the fidelity suffered on the original release I'm all for improvements. That is the most important thing. I just feel that this series soundtrack was somewhat cheapened by the pitfalls of modern vinyl pressing bullshit. "Look at our die-cut slip cover!" "Look at our cleverly named vinyl color! People love colored vinyl." If David Lynch himself has a better design for the jacket that he approves of, that's great. I'll accept it. It just feels like the series re-release has been heavily colored by a label with their "fingers on the pulse" of what happens these days with overbloated vinyl packages where I just really do appreciate the nostalgia of the original designs and a simple, classic single pocket cover which explicitly states what the album is. I don't hate the artwork they used on its own and I like that Badalamenti is pictured in the gatefold but for the coming FWWM soundtrack, I'd like something more reminiscent of the original release.

7 minutes ago, rds said:

Isn't this like the least bloated least gimmicky Mondo release ever?

Indeed. 

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that folks should like the art just because Lynch does. I'm simply saying that part of the reason this release isn't an Olly Moss painting or a Taylor/Stout floating head-fest (not talking shit) is because this is the art Lynch approved (and we know he turned down a bunch) so lay the blame at the foot of the creator (Lynch) and not the label in this case. But, also, I get it; It's a wildly popular and beloved property and there's no way to please everyone. Imagine the shitstorm when the new series comes out. Oh, man, that's gonna be wild. I mean, wait until they get a load of Harry Truman!

Edited by docbronze

1 hour ago, lethalenforcer said:

Still think they missed a Transluscent Plastic With Laura Palmer Blood Splatter opportunity.

This is what it would be if Waxwork Records did the repress.

Gonna pick this up once a little money flows in. Glad that it's not limited. Also, glad that people keep coming in this thread asking about the limited ones without having read the other information in the thread. Never change, VC.

13 minutes ago, batman said:

I'm happy they're doing The Fountain. They did a good job with Black Swan. 

I think maybe he meant he wouldn't hate them OR be disappointed they were doing The Fountain. Because it doesn't make sense the way he wrote it. But I'm just a guy here on the internet reading stuff so what do I know?

Edited by dantheriver

14 minutes ago, rds said:

Forgive my lack of close reading but did they give a ship date?  Or is the ship date the same as the September retail/street date?

I already received a shipping confirmation today in the morning (...I hope I'm not starting a "got shipping confirmation!"-orgy here :D)

4 minutes ago, AdamJNovak said:

Still haven't gotten mine and I ordered mine almost right away?

I honestly wouldn't sweat it, Adam. I haven't either. In the past, Mondo has packed and shipped single LP orders first before moving on to multiple LP orders. Also, chronology has little to do with it, traditionally.