MLB Discussion

I'm glad to see Jack Morris getting close but if he doesn't go in next year it will be a crime against baseball. He was THE dominant pitcher in a hitters era and deserves to be in more than some of the other borderline players that have gained entry recently. When Blyleven went in ahead of Morris I nearly through a fit. 

I always hated Piazza but I think he deserved to go in his first time or at least be the top vote getter. Maybe making him a year or two will emphasize how weak he was defensively but he was a pretty classy guy that was truly one of the best overall at his position. 

Biggio will go in but I don't think longevity should get rewarded with a first-ballot entry. I don't know if he'll go next year either since there is a stacked pitching class coming. 

The 2013 vote should be an interesting one. 

Yea I thought Biggio and Piazza were the only deserving first balloters this time around. Oh well, I heard them saying next year there will be a ton of players going in. Glavine and Maddux will be up next year, not sure who else. I bet Biggio and Piazza go in next year as well, the writers are weird about who they let in on the first ballot.

To this day I rile up a Mets fan friend of mine by insisting Piazza intentionally broke the bat in Clemens direction and that the Rocket was merely standing up for himself against that nasty mullet. 

Of course I know Clemens was an asshole but playing it cool and insisting I'm right on this gets such a rise out of him that I don't ever want to kill the joke.

I am seriously baffled that Piazza didnt get in. Obviously a part of it is homerism (originally a Dodgers fan as a kid, then Piazza moved to the Mets, living an hour away from Shea, I had to become a Mets fan.), but the man is the GREATEST hitting catcher of all time. Arguably the greatest to play in NY (here comes the Yogi comments...). So he doesnt have a World Series ring? Doesnt fucking matter. That guy is without a doubt a first ballot hall of famer. And Craig Biggio didnt get in either?! The baseball HOF is officially a joke to me. And honestly disgusts me. 

Piazza was a horrible defensive catcher. I see no problem with denying him the honor of a first ballot vote. He will go in next year or the year after and it will be deserved but I believe that first-ballot entry is a special thing. Piazza to me is alike a reverse Ozzie Smith - amazing at one side of the game. Ozzie waited, now Piazza will too. 

Im not a Jack Morris in the hall fan. He strikes me as a very good, but not best of the best.  If there was a Hall of the Very Good then for sure, but when I think dominating pitchers who changed the game, I dont think of him at all. Same as Tim Raines. The recent push of  a player being near the end of eligibility so everybody vote for him thing in my eyes diminishes the hall. Yes Jim Rice was a good player, but fuck, he doesnt deserve to be in the hall.

Biggio I wonder if he is great or just along a long time and durable and really good. He played at a time when the game was changing (not meaning steroids but more teams added, more players so some arent as good, offense was exploding) and was he a product of all those changes or was he really that amazing?

You guys ever wonder if baseball makes it 1000 years, if they will have to clear some of these guys out or make a "hall of fame" and a "hall of really good".

I would venture to say that people will still care about Babe Ruth 1000 years from now. I think Craig Biggio will be one of 200 players with similar careers and nothing special.

Any of you ever been to induction weekend? I've been three times. Twice as a kid and once as an adult. It is truly an awesome time if you are a baseball fan. I highly recommend the trip. If baseball isn't your thing that area of NY is nice on its own. It was the inspiration for James Fennimore Cooper's work and if you have a day to just drive around surrounding areas there are a lot of hidden old NY towns that are a real blast from the past. Way back when there was this booming retreat industry up there and those old hotels still exist but are really old and a great throwback to a bygone era.