The Walking Dead

mcm1610

I kind of liked this episode. The acting was very good, at least - even though I couldn't see shit during that thirty-minute pitch black scene in the middle. Oh well. And I'm starting to miss Rick, yo. 

Eugene talking about his glass-in-the-fuel-line trick did a good job setting up his reveal later, even though he was very vague with Tara. I only knew what he was going to say because I read it here but as soon as he copped to fucking with the bus, I knew it was going to be a good one.

This most recent episode was the most boring episode so far. Recently when I watch the walking dead I catch myself forgetting the show is about zombies. The show seems more focused on drama and milking "emotional" moments to the maximum extent. It just comes across cheesy now.

you know that the comic that this show is based on is very character centric rather than zombie centric, yes? you could go issues without even so much as seeing a zombie. i enjoy that humanistic aspect of the show; that the live people are more of a threat than the undead.

you know that the comic that this show is based on is very character centric rather than zombie centric, yes? you could go issues without even so much as seeing a zombie. i enjoy that humanistic aspect of the show; that the live people are more of a threat than the undead.

Most definitely. This show would go down the drain real quickly if it shifted focus from interpersonal to inter... inter-fuckin-zombial relationships. One thing I see said a lot about this show is something like, "What kind of person do you have to be to survive?" and I feel that they've done a pretty good job exploring that idea, and they'll continue to do so.

That being said, "Slabtown" still was a pretty boring episode. 

I'm real sick of side stories after side stories & back stories upon back stories. I wish they would just keep the group together & let shit go down that way. Or tackle bits & pieces of each group in each episode. This is starting to feel like the last couple seasons again. Pretty soon it'll be the midseason finale & they'll cram a ton of shit in that one episide.

It seems like they can't get the pacing of this show down correctly. It's too all over the place.

And was Eugene's "big reveal" all that shocking? Not to me.

And was Eugene's "big reveal" all that shocking? Not to me.

Nope…lol  I was pretty much expecting this. I feel the season started off really strong and then kind of died the last two episodes. I'm sure it will pick up, but the whole idea of this show is the backstories and side stories. If it wasn't, then they wouldn't have anything to write about.  I think catparade said it best.

The zombies do take a backseat to the drama of this show. The zombies don't even seem scary anymore unless they are in a massive group. You can outrun and kill the zombies fairly easily, but you can't do the same with the living. 

At least we didn't have to put up with Beth on last night's episode.

That about sums it up.

Yes. But the more the Walking Dead show shifts their focus from the zombie epidemic to the characters the more depth the show loses (for me personally). This is due mainly in part to the newest character line up not really containing much depth (or intrigue any way.) I could not have cared less when Bob died, dont care about abraham or Eugene (especially Eugene because he was overly suspicious from the beginning, making his demise anti climatic).

If this show could add some decent characters to the mix I think I would have a more enjoyable time watching it. What happened to the characters like hershel or dale?

The walking dead needs to address these issues much more fully:

1)How widespread is the epidemic? Is it contained within the east coast of america? Is it spread throughout North America? Is it spread to the continents?

2)What is going on with the government? What about international governments? How are they handling the epidemic?

The walking dead needs to address these issues much more fully:

1)How widespread is the epidemic? Is it contained within the east coast of america? Is it spread throughout North America? Is it spread to the continents?

2)What is going on with the government? What about international governments? How are they handling the epidemic?

I think these things may never be answered solely because it feels as though the point (so far) of the show is to show how isolating the zombie apocalypse can be for any one individual and group. These people are completely cut off from anything and anyone and there's that pervasive unknown of things that are being asked as you put it.

It adds the anxiety of just now knowing. It the zombie apocalypse were to really happen in real life to us, would we be as cut-off and in the dark as these people on the show present it to be? I'd think so.

I think these things may never be answered solely because it feels as though the point (so far) of the show is to show how isolating the zombie apocalypse can be for any one individual and group. These people are completely cut off from anything and anyone and there's that pervasive unknown of things that are being asked as you put it.

It adds the anxiety of just now knowing. It the zombie apocalypse were to really happen in real life to us, would we be as cut-off and in the dark as these people on the show present it to be? I'd think so.

I can understand this perspective, but I feel that after 5 years one of the many groups featured on the show would have encountered someone with knowledge of the outside world. I find it hard to believe that this has never happened at least on a small scale. There has to be at least one or two characters that have an interest in something larger than themselves, their group and their state (I know I sure would be.)

The show tries to present the idea that everyone in georgia only thinks about georgia or maybe just themselves. While I feel this idea is most certainly true initially after the outbreak it could not prove true as the years wore on. People would become stronger as they learn from experience and because of this characters have more time to ponder what is actually going on. We ARE seeing the characters get stronger but when they ponder it is usually bullshit. Most of the dialogue,gestures,commentary is not inquisitive enough and is relegated to drama, "emotional moments" or at best the present challenges. I don't expect all the characters to be inquisitive about the nations health or future, but at least one? And no Eugene does not count nor did he ever.

Well we know shit was going down as far west as Houston, thanks to the back story of Abraham and his group. Safe to say the infection is pretty widespread and pretty bad everywhere in the US at least. 

I can understand this perspective, but I feel that after 5 years one of the many groups featured on the show would have encountered someone with knowledge of the outside world. I find it hard to believe that this has never happened at least on a small scale. There has to be at least one or two characters that have an interest in something larger than themselves, their group and their state (I know I sure would be.)

Wouldn't the whole DC mission idea be an interest in something larger  than themselves? To be fair, survival is the only real goal most people would have in a situation like this. Expecting them to care about some kind of big picture is pretty far fetched when every day is a life or death situation. 

I'm not sure if you are saying five years our time or five years of life in TWD though. If its the latter, five years hasn't passed since the outbreak. According to this page, we are at less than two years from the outbreak at this point in time. 

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Television_Show_Timeline

The notion of communicating with the "outside world" was explored in the first season episode when they were at the CDC building, wasn't it? The scientist was in touch with other parts of the US, and the world, and explained that communications had been lost.

I agree with jhulud though. I think the way the characters are playing out in the show reflects how isolating it would be to live in an apocalyptic world with no functioning communication infrastructure (though I guess Terminus had some sort of radio broadcast going?), a non-functioning electrical grid, and roads so littered with debris that they're nearly useless. Not to mention the complete breakdown of civility between most surviving humans. There are no resources and you can't trust anyone.

Most of the time the characters are just living by their wits and their feet. I think that's part of what makes the show interesting.

Wouldn't the whole DC mission idea be an interest in something larger  than themselves? To be fair, survival is the only real goal most people would have in a situation like this. Expecting them to care about some kind of big picture is pretty far fetched when every day is a life or death situation. 

I'm not sure if you are saying five years our time or five years of life in TWD though. If its the latter, five years hasn't passed since the outbreak. According to this page, we are at less than two years from the outbreak at this point in time. 

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Television_Show_Timeline

DC did not count because Eugene was full of shit.

I wasnt aware about that time discrepancy. Thanks! But even if it has only been two years my point still stands. I certainly agree with you that survival is the only goal of MOST people. My point is that (to me personally) it is unrealistic to portray that few to no characters engage in conversation about the outside world or the bigger picture. It is almost a taboo subject across the board. All I am saying is that IF I was in the group I certainly would be focused on survival but I would also be ocassionally inquiring or investigating outside of Georgia. I would not believe that the entirety of America let a lone the world was JUST like Georgia. It simply is not plausible. There are too many variables. There has to be variable states of decay.

The notion of communicating with the "outside world" was explored in the first season episode when they were at the CDC building, wasn't it? The scientist was in touch with other parts of the US, and the world, and explained that communications had been lost.

Yes! That is one of the reasons it bothers me. The show set the standard early on for the characters showing interest in the larger picture. That is one of the primary reasons I feel it is unrealistic to ignore that concept.

By the way the Military HAS had an on and off/rare presence within the show. Remember the helicopter? I am a believer that there is still some Military infrastructure (how large or small who knows.)