What books are you reading?

Just want to say that I've been reading a ton of Shakespeare and it sucks

Agreed.  I understand that he was responsible for creating a great deal of tropes commonly found in the pop culture that I love, and I respect the hell out of that, but I just can't get on board with ol' Shakespeare.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently finished:

Elvis Costello - Unfaithful Music. Excellent autobiography - he has truly lived an amazing life, gotten to work with some of his all-time heroes, and he's a very talented storyteller. Probably one of the best books about music I've ever read.

Emily St. John Mandel - Station Eleven - Might be the best book I've read all year. Sort of a literary take on the post-apocalypse. A severe strain of the flu wipes out almost everybody in the world, almost at once. 20 years on, those who survived are trying to do more than just live - the book is about some members of a travelling orchestra who walk from town to town to bring joy through music. Haunting, incredibly well written, and really memorable. Recommended for any science fiction fan.

Stephen Witt - How Music Got Free - basically about the history of mp3s, music piracy, and how the music industry fucked up amongst all that. For anyone who started downloading mp3s on FTP sites, Napster, or wherever they could be found in the late 90s, it's sort of a trip down memory lane. Lots of discussion about Oink, and what.cd, which is sort of weird to read about in a book...

David Foster Wallace - Brief Interviews With Hideous Men - I've never read Wallace, so I thought I'd give him a try. But I really didn't like the book at all. Is he worth my time?

Now I'm most of the way through The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which is excellent.

David Foster Wallace - Brief Interviews With Hideous Men - I've never read Wallace, so I thought I'd give him a try. But I really didn't like the book at all. Is he worth my time?

I haven't read it myself, but when I worked at Barnes and Noble a while back my co-workers raved about his work. Mostly about the Infinite Jest. A beast of a book, but everyone said that once you get through the grueling first 200 pages or so, it turned into one of the best books they had read. None of them said they had read the one you did though. I'd give him another shot.

Really want to get back into reading. Probably gonna pop back into B&N today and try to find something cool.

• 4 weeks later...

I've never been able to make it through it myself, as disjointed books aren't easy for me to enjoy. Hope you have better luck!

I'll definitely finish it at some point. I find myself taking breaks to get to other stuff though. I have another book I really want to read, but won't allow myself to until I finish HoL.

I'll definitely finish it at some point. I find myself taking breaks to get to other stuff though. I have another book I really want to read, but won't allow myself to until I finish HoL.

I hear you. Picked up The Gunslinger today with Gone Girl, and wasn't sure which to start first. GG sucked me in pretty fast though somI'll probably have them done in a few days :)

When my girlfriend read Gone Girl she didn't talk to me for three days straight. She took me to see the movie, which wasn't bad at all.

That whole Dark Tower series is great. Not a Gone Girl guy though.

I really liked the movie, and so far the book is about the same, but I could see it being engrossing if the story is unfamiliar.

I like the old western aesthetic so figured King could put an interesting spin on it. Glad to hear it's good!

Just started Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

Only 16 pages in and this quote has sold me,

"The smart-boys fuck like they're composing a piece of math rock: This hand strums around here, and then this finger offers a nice bass rhythm..."

I really, really loved this book.  I made it a point to read it before seeing the movie and I'm glad I did.

Nos4a2 is such a great book. It goes places you'd never suspect and it has such great characters.

Great world, pretty silly plot, but it works.

Also, HoL really picks up toward the end I think. It took me only a few days to read it though. I love how it all comes together (and how it doesn't) haha

Having a tough time getting through House of Leaves. It's ok, but I can't lose myself in it the way I like to with books.

Ah, I'm sad to hear that.

HoL is a little disjointed but it's nothing compared to Gravity's Rainbow, The Familiar, even like 2666, which I know you loved!

I really liked the "read the footnotes" stuff. Really brought together the fact that you're supposed to be reading all these collections and scraps and notes that Johnny got from Zampano.

Ah, I'm sad to hear that.

HoL is a little disjointed but it's nothing compared to Gravity's Rainbow, The Familiar, even like 2666, which I know you loved!

I really liked the "read the footnotes" stuff. Really brought together the fact that you're supposed to be reading all these collections and scraps and notes that Johnny got from Zampano.

Yeah, it's not even really the disjointedness of it that I dislike. I'm not sure what it is. I wasn't crazy about American Psycho, either, and I think maybe this has a little bit of that same feel to it. I think the disjointed style of writing and all the little footnotes and tricks are really neat; I like that we're reading things from two authors, and the whole "movie that isn't a movie" thing, but there's something about the tone that isn't sucking me in, or maybe I just don't care about the characters or something.

I enjoy a challenging read, but something just isn't hitting all the notes for me.

Like you said, 2666, and even The Savage Detectives were disjointed in their own ways and I enjoyed those. I donno. :/

Yeah, it's not even really the disjointedness of it that I dislike. I'm not sure what it is. I wasn't crazy about American Psycho, either, and I think maybe this has a little bit of that same feel to it. I think the disjointed style of writing and all the little footnotes and tricks are really neat; I like that we're reading things from two authors, and the whole "movie that isn't a movie" thing, but there's something about the tone that isn't sucking me in, or maybe I just don't care about the characters or something.

I enjoy a challenging read, but something just isn't hitting all the notes for me.

Like you said, 2666, and even The Savage Detectives were disjointed in their own ways and I enjoyed those. I donno. :/

Eh, no big deal. I can't for the life of me get into some of his (Danielewski) other stuff, so I get it.

Gravity's rainbow still kicking my ass.

Slade House was great - anyone read any other Mitchell - Bone Clocks, Cloud Atlas? Worth getting into?

Just finished Dave Eggers' The Circle. Not recommended. Basically a parable about the dangers of social media monopolies. In theory, it had an interesting idea, but it had wholly uninteresting characters, and was written without any style whatsoever. 

Up next is Ernest Cline's Armada, even though it got some pretty terrible reviews...