Official RSD 2012 information/releases thread

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there was a Charlie Brown Record Store Day special, he'd look at that Disturbed box set and yell "Good Grief. Does anyone know the true meaning of Record Store Day?!" Then Linus would come in and say "I do Charlie Brown. Born unto vinyl and independent music lovers is a day by which we can all celebrate what is right with music and brick and mortar businesses."

(Then 40 years from now we can all watch and see that Charlie Brown had nailed how stupid RSD has become)

The Flaming Lips with Heady Fwends

A1 2012 (You Must Be Upgraded) with Ke$ha

A2 Ashes in the Air with Bon Iver

A3 Helping the Retarded to Find God with Edward Sharpe

A4 Children of the Moon with Tame Impala

B1 The Supermoon Made Me Want to Pee with Prefuse 73

B2 It's Not My Trip (Hippy Goes Out with Violent S&M Vampire Gal) with Jim James

B3 You, Man? Human? with Nick Cave

C1 I'm Working at NASA on Acid with Lightning Bolt

C2 Do It! with Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band

C3 Is David Bowie Dying? with Neon Indian

D1 The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face with Erykah Badu

D2 Thunder Drops with New Fumes

D3 I Don't Want You to Die with Chris Martin

Limited to 10,000-20,000 copies, pressed on random mixed psychedelic vinyl.

Seeing this, i wonder if we'll get separate releases for Deerhoof and black moth super rainbow

The Flaming Lips with Heady Fwends

A1 2012 (You Must Be Upgraded) with Ke$ha

A2 Ashes in the Air with Bon Iver

A3 Helping the Retarded to Find God with Edward Sharpe

A4 Children of the Moon with Tame Impala

B1 The Supermoon Made Me Want to Pee with Prefuse 73

B2 It's Not My Trip (Hippy Goes Out with Violent S&M Vampire Gal) with Jim James

B3 You, Man? Human? with Nick Cave

C1 I'm Working at NASA on Acid with Lightning Bolt

C2 Do It! with Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band

C3 Is David Bowie Dying? with Neon Indian

D1 The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face with Erykah Badu

D2 Thunder Drops with New Fumes

D3 I Don't Want You to Die with Chris Martin

Limited to 10,000-20,000 copies, pressed on random mixed psychedelic vinyl.

Seeing this, i wonder if we'll get separate releases for Deerhoof and black moth super rainbow

Those collabs were scrapped.

Strut is reissuing an old psych album by Ugly Custard. No mention of it on their site, but they sent me a press release on it 2 weeks ago. Here's the info:

Strut Prepares Vinyl-Only Record Store Day Title

UK Psychedelic Classic Ugly Custard Features Library Legend Alan Parker

This April, Strut celebrate Record Store Day 2012 with the limited edition, vinyl-only re-release of a rare, funky psychedelic classic; the self-titled 1971 LP from Ugly Custard. The album will be the first in a series of limited edition vinyl-only releases.

Ugly Custard has become a cult classic among vinyl diggers – a dense, heavy, psyched-out set from a short-lived side project put together by UK library and film music composer, Alan Parker (known to savvy collectors for his work on the legendary KPM 1000 series, as well as recordings w/ Donovan, David Bowie, and others). The album reunited Parker with leading session players and fellow members of the band Blue Mink including Herbie Flowers (bass) and Roger Coulam (organ) alongside prolific drummer Clem Cattini (The Tornados, T-Rex, Hot Chocolate).

The album features Parker in top form, re-arranging known standards into open, wigged-out jams including Paul Simon’s "Scarboro’ Fair" and Stephen Stills’ "Hung Upside Down." Side 2 focuses on original Parker compositions including the sitar-drenched "Cry From The Heart" and a co-composition between Parker and The Mohawks’ Alan Hawkshaw on "Custard’s Last Stand."

Ugly Custard is pressed on heavyweight vinyl and features new sleeve notes including an interview with Alan Parker. Originally issued on Kaleidoscope (KAL 100) in 1971.

+ + + + +

My two cents on Disturbed vs. "the true meaning of RSD": I think we can all agree that Disturbed sucks, but the real "true meaning of RSD" is to keep the proveribal RSes in business, and if that means selling an expensive box set of shovelmetal to some kid, I'm ok with that. With no RSes, we don't get RSD, so it's a small price to pay. And for better or worse, a lot more Disturbed boxes will get sold on April 21 than some releases already on this list.

If there was a Charlie Brown Record Store Day special, he'd look at that Disturbed box set and yell "Good Grief. Does anyone know the true meaning of Record Store Day?!" Then Linus would come in and say "I do Charlie Brown. Born unto vinyl and independent music lovers is a day by which we can all celebrate what is right with music and brick and mortar businesses."

(Then 40 years from now we can all watch and see that Charlie Brown had nailed how stupid RSD has become)

This made me lol pretty hard.