Acceptance - Phantoms

atticus

It's flat-rate. You can order 1 record or 6 records. You're getting charged $5.50. Scott, I notice that three LPs in your webstore cost $6 to ship. And six LPs cost $9 (LOL). I think we both know that you have to try pretty damn hard to get a Media Mail package to cost more than $6 to ship.

1. You only have one record, so the "1 record or 6 records" logic doesn't quite apply here.

2. I charge $4 to ship an LP (Media Mail + delivery confirmation) and $3 to ship a 7-inch (First Class Mail + delivery confirmation).

3. All my items in my store (with the exception of shirts) have a shipping cost of $1 assigned to them if they're added on to an order (i.e. if you were to order one LP, it would be $4, but if you were to order two LPs, it would be $5). Obviously, this doesn't scale perfectly, as you're right—it doesn't cost $9 to ship six records, it costs about $6 or so. But I've never had to deal with that problem because that's a pretty big stretch anyone will be ordering six records from me, seeing as how I'm not a distro/store, just a small label (and most of my titles are out of print already). As for that $1 surcharge, it helps subsidize the cost of mailers, tape, the costs of using Bigcartel and Stamps.com, PayPal fees, etc.

4. I've never had anyone, ever, complain about my shipping rates, and I've had somewhere in between 2500-3000 orders in the lifespan of my label. So I think it's working out okay.

5. $19 + $5.50 shipping for a single LP is pretty absurd, if you ask me, but if you can get people to pay it, then good for you. Different strokes for different folks.

Guys, I plan to be online tomorrow at 2 PM to order this.  If anyone will not be here, I am willing to help you out  If you want a copy of x variant, let me know and I'll order it for you.  I'd prefer to keep shipping within the USA.  I don't quite know what to charge you for your copy, so just talk to me and hopefully we can figure something out.  I'm obviously going to keep the charge at cost+ship, but with a flat rate on shipping, it's a tough call!

1. You only have one record, so the "1 record or 6 records" logic doesn't quite apply here.

2. I charge $4 to ship an LP (Media Mail + delivery confirmation) and $3 to ship a 7-inch (First Class Mail + delivery confirmation).

3. All my items in my store (with the exception of shirts) have a shipping cost of $1 assigned to them if they're added on to an order (i.e. if you were to order one LP, it would be $4, but if you were to order two LPs, it would be $5). Obviously, this doesn't scale perfectly, as you're right—it doesn't cost $9 to ship six records, it costs about $6 or so. But I've never had to deal with that problem because that's a pretty big stretch anyone will be ordering six records from me, seeing as how I'm not a distro/store, just a small label (and most of my titles are out of print already). As for that $1 surcharge, it helps subsidize the cost of mailers, tape, the costs of using Bigcartel and Stamps.com, PayPal fees, etc.

4. I've never had anyone, ever, complain about my shipping rates, and I've had somewhere in between 2500-3000 orders in the lifespan of my label. So I think it's working out okay.

5. $19 + $5.50 shipping for a single LP is pretty absurd, if you ask me, but if you can get people to pay it, then good for you. Different strokes for different folks.

1. Yes one record, but a record that has a three-pack option and I'm sure that we'll receive several orders with even more than three records purchased.

2. Instead of doing 4/5/6/7/8/9/10/infinity dollars, we just did $5.50. We're a brand-new label. All of our resources have to be purchased right now. We hope people who know things about vinyl records will understand this and empathize with a bedroom label doing its first release. We hope to cheapen shipping costs in future releases of course, and I think we'll be able to do that because of measures we're taking right now to make the cost of the future releases slightly cheaper for us to manufacture. 

3. I understand how webstores work and we are a tiny label dealing with combatting the same costs you just mentioned.

4. I've never had anyone ever complain about the shipping costs with this label until you did so congrats!

5. I think it's fairly reasonable for a release where we pay for manufacturing, licensing, publishing, royalties etc. I think similar releases put out by Hot Topic or Shop Radio Cast might actually see a couple extra dollars in the unit cost, even if the shipping is obviously a little cheaper.

Yeah I don't know if I want to spend that much for a single LP. Definitely pricey. I'll assume it's because of the licensing cost, but that doesn't make me more inclined to pay that amount. But we'll see.

Pretty much. Like I said, we felt it was in line with what HT or SRC might charge. We really wanted to keep it under $20. 

Just reread the AP.net review. Such a payoff job by their label.

"Can you even imagine the kind of impact an album like this will have on the MTV generation? It’s going to be huge."

"Acceptance’s brand of catchy, emotional pop-rock stands out from the pack with killer hooks and stunning vocals. This band is about to take over the airwaves."

Like, really, ya think??

Just reread the AP.net review. Such a payoff job by their label.

"Can you even imagine the kind of impact an album like this will have on the MTV generation? It’s going to be huge."

"Acceptance’s brand of catchy, emotional pop-rock stands out from the pack with killer hooks and stunning vocals. This band is about to take over the airwaves."

Like, really, ya think??

it's almost like people can't have opinions like that on their own, right?!?

it's almost like people can't have opinions on their own, right?!?

What self respecting reviewer would knowingly reference "the MTV generation" in their review? Some old guy definitely said "Hey say something in the review about the MTV generation"

To be clear, the record is good. And I'm in for the PO. I just think that review was over the top.

What self respecting reviewer would knowingly reference "the MTV generation" in their review? Some old guy definitely said "Hey say something in the review about the MTV generation"

To be clear, the record is good. And I'm in for the PO. I just think that review was over the top.

You have to remember this review was in 2004.

I can almost assure you that didn't happen. I've written over 200 reviews for that site. Never happened to me once. 

We know it's definitely not a cheap record. I wish we could charge $12 or $15 for it. But I know that you guys know how licensing records can be, especially since this community is so familiar with the practices and all. At the same time, we know that the price will be a deterrent for some people, we definitely understand that even though we wish it wasn't so. I just want everyone to know that we did all we could to keep the price as low as we could, especially since it's such a beloved record. We really did our best to make sure this will be the best-sounding version of this album ever released, too.

LOL what are you talking about. 

If you we're trying to keep costs low you'd have cut out variants. I'll never understand the whole we tried to keep everything low argument when you have a bunch of variants. I do records on one color (black) and can afford to sell them for less than $10. Even with licensing you could sell em for $15 if you stopped doing variants. As for shipping I'm a bedroom label and still charge $3.50. I too had to purchase all my supplies and still made it work. Moral of the story you could have gotten the cost lower if you actually tried. I'll be passing because $24 for an single LP is way too much.

If you we're trying to keep costs low you'd have cut out variants. I'll never understand the whole we tried to keep everything low argument when you have a bunch of variants. I do records on one color (black) and can afford to sell them for less than $10. Even with licensing you could sell em for $15 if you stopped doing variants. As for shipping I'm a bedroom label and still charge $3.50. I too had to purchase all my supplies and still made it work. Moral of the story you could have gotten the cost lower if you actually tried. I'll be passing because $24 for an single LP is way too much.

Those are all fair arguments. I didn't want to make black records. The plant charged us maybe $100 total for changing the vinyl colors on the two colors that were less than 500 units. That's not enough of a charge to deter us from being creative with variants and trying to make the release more special, and the vinyl colors didn't cost so much that it was going to be a difference of $4 per unit. I respect what you're saying, and maybe it's just because this is our first release, but I really wanted to do something cool with the variants. Like I said, I understand that the release isn't for everyone. 

I'll point out that recent reissues from Copeland, Fall Out Boy's TTTYG and FOB's FUTCT cost $22, $20 and $23. If you take out the cost of doing gatefold jackets for the two more expensive ones, you're hovering at $19. I think we did an okay job.

SRCs packaging is fantastic, so Copeland was worth it. Isn't From Under The Cork Tree a double LP?

Just saying. I don't think $19 to too expensive. A lot of bands charge $20 on tour (New Found Glory's Sticks and Stones, Eisley Currents). I think shipping is a bit much, but I might buy the three pack anyway. I love this album.

SRCs packaging is fantastic

yes, they really are...but at the end of the day, I prefer a good quality pressing over a nice packaging and rather save some money.

I do not like the latest trend of always having glossy gatefold jackets or double LPs. I still like the idea of a black vinyl record in a single jacket.

On topic, I'll buy this one though.

Is the 1.50 really gonna make or break most people?  if it was 23.00 total would everyone be like "OMG WHAT A FUCKING STEAL!!!"?

I was about to post this as well myself.  While it sucks that they chose to go flat rate of $5.50 even though I'm only going to get 1 copy I'm not going to complain too much about an extra $1.50 but seriously you can't make a $4 shipping for a single and $5.50 for any quantity over 1?

SRCs packaging is fantastic, so Copeland was worth it. Isn't From Under The Cork Tree a double LP?

Just saying. I don't think $19 to too expensive. A lot of bands charge $20 on tour (New Found Glory's Sticks and Stones, Eisley Currents). I think shipping is a bit much, but I might buy the three pack anyway. I love this album.

If it is a double LP, then totally my mistake.