Upcoming Releases: The Gories + Jack Johnson

"The best garage band in America since the '60s. Very primitive…they made people with Les Pauls and Marshall amps look like idiots." - Jack White

TMR138FrontCover430.jpg

The Gories began in the cultural vacuum of Detroit in 1986. With humble beginnings at a community concert series through a tumultuous end on their 1992 European tour, this is a band whose influence has far outstretched the ground they covered. Rooted in the primal, primitive underpinnings of 50's rhythm and blues and unhinged 60s garage punk, the sound the came to was wholly their own. Over two years in the making, Third Man collectively feels like a bunch of teenage fanboys with the release of The Shaw Tapes: Live in Detroit 5/27/88.  Recorded at house party in a converted store front, the band captured here is at the height of their powers. Featuring covers of classics by the likes of John Lee Hooker, the Stooges and Willie Dixon, as well as a bevy of their oft-imitated originals, Live in Detroit 5/27/88 is the Gories first live album, their fourth full-length and their first widespread release since 1992. While band members Mick Collins and Dan Kroha would go on to wider recognition in the Dirtbombs and Demolition Dolls Rods respectively, the Gories should be viewed in the same influential context as the Velvet Underground and the Cramps. While they may have barely sold any records, the folks that saw and heard these bands were inspired to create. It's high time the Gories get their due and there's no better evidence than this explosive live recording from 25 years ago.

The Gories

The Shaw Tapes: Live in Detroit 5/27/88

CD/LP/download

release date 11/26/13

Tracklist:

1. Nautiloid Reef (the Nautiloids) / 2. Leavin' Here (Eddie Holland) / 3. I Think I've Had It / 4. To Find Out (The Keggs) / 5. Boogie Chillen (John Lee Hooker) / 6. Real Cool Time (The Stooges) / 7. Charm Bag / 8. Sovereignty Flight / 9. Again & Again (The Iguanas) / 10. Thunderbird ESQ / 11. Hate (The Stoics) / 12. Train Kept a Rollin' (Tiny Bradshaw) / 13. I Just Wanna Make Love to You (Willie Dixon) / Give Me Love

TMR227JackJohnson430.jpg

Third Man Records is also excited to share the live recording by Jack Johnson for Record Store Day Black Friday on November 29th. Recorded live in Third Man's wonderful Blue Room on June 15th of this year, breakfast with Jack and his crack band was a smiling fun time for the entire family, and his thoughtful cover of the White Stripes "We Are Going to Be Friends" was the icing to an already delicious cake. This will be a windowed release…only available from RSD-retailers on Black Friday and not to see a widespread release until March 2014.

Jack Johnson

Live at Third Man Records 6-15-2013

LP-only

Tracklist:

1. Banana Pancakes / 2. Same Girl / 3. Radiate / 4. Do You Remember / 5. I Got You / 6. Good People / 7. As I Was Saying / 8. We Are Going to Be Friends (The White Stripes) / 9. Home / 10. Mudfootball / 11. Upside Down / 12. Better Together

Last time around I showed up to all three NYC stops to get stuff for the board. Only once was getting there more than a half hour early needed. The last time was before their showcase at ACE for CMJ. I'll risk it based on experience. Still gotta work.

Sounds like there is about 10 in line now (1+ hours to go), hope you make it in time.  Looks like yesterday they only had 10 variants for sale.

Can somebody with The Shins Live at Third Man tell me what you think of the quality and the show over all? I can't find any digital recording to listen to and I've seen some people say its not the best recording.

it's pretty good. it's the very first show they recorded live straight to acetate (instead of tape). if you are a fan of the shins, i suggest picking it up. 

it's pretty good. it's the very first show they recorded live straight to acetate (instead of tape). if you are a fan of the shins, i suggest picking it up. 

Alright great! Thanks! I love the shins I've been considering it for a while and my local record store has it for $10 so I might just have to pick it up next time I'm in there.

So what about this Jack Johnson Live at Third Man black friday thing? Are they going to have these online at all? Does anyone in CO know if anyone carries Third Man RSD stuff?

I have to imagine they'll release a special variant for RSD and do standard black online at a later date. You never know with TMR though...

Jack Johnson live at TMR should be very similar to the Jerry Lee Lewis they released on Black Friday (last year?)  it is just a standard release that lines up with black friday, but has slightly nicer art work than other Live ats.  I would assume their actual special release will be the Gories live LP they are releasing...maybe a special color at TMR and concert?

• 2 weeks later...