Shit on bands here

White Album should've just been an EP. And really, even then, it should have just been a 7" with that "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" song on repeat.

Thinking the same thing yesterday.

"What's your new song called?...Wild Honey Pie? Interesting title, I like it....oh, you just say the words "honey pie" over and over for two minutes? What else you got?"

Same goes for modern country.

All you have to do to make a country hit these days is list things that exist or happen in small towns in the south. I grew up in Texas city surrounded by hick towns so if you need some help let me know.

The problem with making a modern country song is that you'd have to hear it at least once. I don't think I could handle it.

It's a shame where the genre has gone. Country music used to be about storytelling, but now it's a just redneck buzzfeed list set to music.

All you have to do to make a country hit these days is list things that exist or happen in small towns in the south. I grew up in Texas city surrounded by hick towns so if you need some help let me know.

The problem with making a modern country song is that you'd have to hear it at least once. I don't think I could handle it.

It's a shame where the genre has gone. Country music used to be about storytelling, but now it's a just redneck buzzfeed list set to music.

I agree that pop country is like that, but man you gotta listen to some other stuff and you will realize that great country is still being made today.

Me and my girlfriend were driving through northern California last year and since it was my first time in the US I was really excited to hear all the new radio stations (I particularly liked The Ministry of K-Love, the Christian donation pleading music and prayer station... anyway) and I heard this Country Rock/Pop Country song called The Angry American.

I was totally obsessed with this as soon as I heard it because I just couldn't believe that songs like that existed any more. I heard it about three times over a couple of days, and all I can remember was that it was (IIRC) about retaliation to the 9/11 attacks. The only lyrics I remember went something like "Uncle Sam is shaking his fist and Lady Liberty has got a black eye, so we're coming to light up your world like the 4th of July". I'm not saying I think all new Country music is like this but it did seem pretty fucking popular.

I feel like to have a hit pop country song you need to have at least two of these themes in your song:

drinking, drunk, partying;

guns, liberty, 2nd amendment, my rights;

war vets, iraq, afghanistan, the american flag, 9/11;

sex;

trucks

you can take any pop country song and it'll have at least two of those topics in it.

When I visited Florida I was really baffled at how much country there were and how bad it was. I heard "Drink A Beer" by Luke Bryan and looked it up and apparently he made that song when his brother died. I mean come on listen to these lyrics:

When I got the news today
I didn't know what to say.
So I just hung up the phone.

I took a walk to clear my head,
This is where the walking led
Can't believe you're really gone

Don't feel like going home
So I'm gonna sit right here
On the edge of this pier
Watch the sunset disappear
And drink a beer

One; those are the worst rhymes I've ever heard, and two; his first reaction when his brother died was to walk to the pier and drink a beer. Can you BE any more American?

And then they played another terrible song: Eli Young - Drunk Last Night. I swear I heard those two songs more than 30 times each, and it actually felt refreshing to get home and only hear shitty radio-house again.

I feel like to have a hit pop country song you need to have at least two of these themes in your song:

drinking, drunk, partying;

guns, liberty, 2nd amendment, my rights;

war vets, iraq, afghanistan, the american flag, 9/11;

sex;

trucks

you can take any pop country song and it'll have at least two of those topics in it.

I call Taylor Swift as exhibit A against this theory.

Like what? I liked Drag the River a lot. That's all I can think of.

You are missing out on so much if Drag the River is all you can muster up. They are barely passable compared to Turnpike Troubadours, American Aquarium, Shakey Graves, Corb Lund, The Departed, Lindi Ortega, Reckless Kelly, Sturgill Simpson, John Fullbright, etc etc etc.

Watched the video for Drunk on a Plane last week, and it turned into a (drunken) tirade on Facebook about how stupid country fans are in the way that they seemingly can't party without the music explicitly telling them to drink.

This morning, a girl at work had her music playing, and another country song came on.. Drinks After Work. At least, I imagine this was the title. But it really is just the laziest shit in the world on the parts of both "artist" and listener.

I call Taylor Swift as exhibit A against this theory.

You are missing out on so much if Drag the River is all you can muster up. They are barely passable compared to Turnpike Troubadours, American Aquarium, Shakey Graves, Corb Lund, The Departed, Lindi Ortega, Reckless Kelly, Sturgill Simpson, John Fullbright, etc etc etc.

so because TS doesnt fit that theory doesnt mean its not applicable for 99% of the rest of popular country music.  

Her songs are all about all her Celebrity breakups, I wouldn't say it's much more deeper/diverse than the rest of the country pop music.

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2QeU9Isc0I

I didnt say it was more deep/diverse than others, just that they dont follow the trucks/Guns/Beer/Sex motif like Mike said all pop country songs do.