Am I being a dick or is this acceptable?

He doesnt want to admit he payed 60 dollars for Van Halen-Women and Children First.

Why, because it will only start music debate which is irrelevant to the conversation.

I really dont care what you bought. You obviously wanted it, and were willing to pay the price for it. I was just making a joke as people seem to really want to know what it was even though it has no relevancy to this. "Yeah if that is Deja then totally throw a shit fit" "You paid 50 dollars for Rise Against? You're lucky they arent all scratched, that band blows"

if you really want to keep it, grade it according to the goldmine grading standards, see what goldmine says the value of a record in that condition should be, adjust the value to that price, ask for a refund for the difference.

if you still wouldn't pay that amount for the record in the condition that it's in, then just return it. it's not worth it, unless they accept and pay up the 50% refund.

I would second asking for a full refund and then buying one that isn't scratched. File the paypal claim sooner than later.

This exact same thing happened to me. I bought a tour release which came with a different cover. The vinyl color was more common. Guy claimed he didn't know it was scratched.

I waited too long and the claim window closed. At least he was decent and sent me another regular copy, though the wrong color. I ended up having to buy another copy of the right color. Now, I have three copies with one being scratched.

Politely email the seller stating your case. Tell him/her you bought the record based on the grading. You played the record, cleaned it, etc, it doesn't play according to the grading the seller listed it as. According to eBay, this is grounds for escalation to a case, but don't do it yet. Just ask the seller to advise you on what to do. Base your next move off that.

I had this same situation happen to me recently. I bought a record for 74PPD on eBay (the most I've ever spent). The guy (a seller who has a ton of positive feedback) didn't send the record in any sleeve, just a bare record next to the cover between it and one piece of cardboard. It was wrecked. Upon first listen, noise, pops and skips. I did what I told the OP to do. Seller refunded my money and let me keep the record. I cleaned it a bunch and scrubbed it down with lots of cleaning fluid. Eventually, it would play near VG+. I'm not saying that's happening for OP but who knows? Just don't be a dick.

No way those were caused by shipping...the civil way to go about it is to email the seller first, show the pics, and don't be a fucking dick about it. Being an accusatory asshole is a sure way to piss off a seller and cause further problems. If you are cool about it he/she will probably understand and give you a partial refund.

I completely agree. As someone who sells on eBay somewhat frequently and I was dealing with this situation, I would totally refund 50%. Most sellers want to maintain good feedback and provide good customer service. The fact that you are willing to keep it for half the price makes it easier on the seller as well because he/she won't have to worry about postage costs of having it sent back. To answer your original question, you are not being a dick at all. The fact that you even posted on this message board asking if you are being a dick proves that you don't want to come off as an asshole so well done :)

Also, in response to the people making it seem like you are a pushover if you don't ask for a full refund...don't worry about them. Since it only affects one track, if you are cool with keeping the record for half the price you paid (if the seller agrees of course), then go for it!

Most importantly, if the seller doesn't respond soon, make sure to file a paypal claim like others have already mentioned. This way you are protecting yourself in that you can escalate the claim if the seller ignores you. If the seller replies and is amicable about it, you can always cancel the claim..no harm done.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I'm just plain pissed!!!! I had to open a case because the seller wasn't responding to ebay messages. The guy finally responded after opening the case but only commented on how he did everything right and that the record was in MINT condition when it left him. He never addresses my proposed partial refund, exchange, or return. He then stopped responding to the case. So I had to escalate it to ebay customer support to make a ruling. They ruled in my favor, but are requiring that I pay return shipping costs with some form of tracking. The problem is that return shipping is to JAPAN!!! It'll end up costing $25 via USPS to return it!!!!! THIS IS SUCH B.S.!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm just plain pissed!!!! I had to open a case because the seller wasn't responding to ebay messages. The guy finally responded after opening the case but only commented on how he did everything right and that the record was in MINT condition when it left him. He never addresses my proposed partial refund, exchange, or return. He then stopped responding to the case. So I had to escalate it to ebay customer support to make a ruling. They ruled in my favor, but are requiring that I pay return shipping costs with some form of tracking. The problem is that return shipping is to JAPAN!!! It'll end up costing $25 via USPS to return it!!!!! THIS IS SUCH B.S.!!!!!!!!!!

Try contacting Paypal and explaining that the return shipping is almost as much as the items value and it would be pointless. They may take that into consideration. They gave me a full refund when I had a dispute with an overseas purchase.

• 11 months later...

I think you've been more than reasonable about the whole thing.  It comes down to the fact that the item was described as being in mint condition and should show up that way, no matter what you paid.

On the plus side, PayPal sides with the buyer almost everytime.  I haven't had a lot of issues of returning items, but I believe they covered the return cost also.  You'll most likely be out time and some frustration.

Best of luck on this.