MAN ADVICE

I'm the same way. I don't think it's weird to want to pay for things. What I normally do is if the guy pays for dinner, I'll buy movie tickets, or ice cream, etc.

This is cool sometimes. If I'm spending money like crazy on an evening, and the girl offers to pick up a drink or desert, I'm cool with that. I always insist that I pay though.

I’ve never really given much thought about until this whole thing until now. I’ve always been really independent and feel guilty when someone does nice things for me for no reason. It’s painful for me to ask for favors.

the brian guy, I tried to pay for some drinks and he’s like ‘why are you trying to be all modern and pay for things?’  It made me feel weird. He doesn’t let me drive anywhere, open any doors, walk outside without a coat on, or pay for anything.

is it wrong that I want to pay for things sometimes? I’m not passionate about it or anything but if I was the guy... I’d be appreciative of a girl picking the tab up every now and then.

That sounds like one controlling motherfucker. It might be cute now, but it will not be in the future if you get serious with him. What kind of guy doesn't let a girl make her own decision about wearing a goddamn coat?

That sounds like one controlling motherfucker. It might be cute now, but it will not be in the future if you get serious with him. What kind of guy doesn't let a girl make her own decision about wearing a goddamn coat?

I agree with this. Is he trying to be your partner, or your dad.. seems way too controlling.

As for the paying thing, I will always offer and have no problem with paying, but if the girl throws kick back (and is serious), I certainly won't argue and make it awkward.

or your dad..

oh shit, I’m not even sure how old he is. He is apparently 29 but I feel like he could be older. Some guy at the bar asked him how old he was and all he said was ‘old enough’. Although my friends did meet him and say that he ‘seems 29’.

I love doing all the little things in relationships.  Giving flowers, holding doors, offering my jacket if it gets cold.  I'll say I've never pulled out the chair for a girl.  I've always just found that odd.  Holding doors and stuff like that is something that I do for anyone.

A few years ago I had a girl ask me if I would be holding the door open for my friends if I was just going to dinner with them, or would I pay for dinner if it was just a dinner with friends.  My response was "I would if, at some point in the future, I thought the possibility existed of them touching my penis."  I thought it was a funny comment, she did not.

My response was "I would if, at some point in the future, I thought the possibility existed of them touching my penis."  I thought it was a funny comment, she did not.

hah, this makes total sense to me. I was watching a movie the other night. And the guy was telling his girl ‘men still pay for sex. I take you out, I buy you drinks, I pay for your meal, all under the premise that you’re going to be naked for me later.’

I get it.

oh shit, I’m not even sure how old he is. He is apparently 29 but I feel like he could be older. Some guy at the bar asked him how old he was and all he said was ‘old enough’. Although my friends did meet him and say that he ‘seems 29’.

Dude sort of sounds like a creep (the way you have been describing him at least)

hah, this makes total sense to me. I was watching a movie the other night. And the guy was telling his girl ‘men still pay for sex. I take you out, I buy you drinks, I pay for your meal, all under the premise that you’re going to be naked for me later.’

I get it.

haha this immediately reminded me of boondocks when grandad gets a hot new ho

I get it.

To be fair I was trying to be funny and make a bit of a joke, not say that I'm trying to buy sex by paying for a first date.

Being a nice guy doesn't mean that I'm trying to say that your incapable of paying for your dinner or open your own door.  It means I'm trying to show you that I care, that I am attentive and that I am in general a nice guy.

I'll say this if after a few dates if a girl doesn't pick up the tab for a drink or two or at least offer to pick up a check for a dinner it's a bit of a turnoff.  Honestly I've got an ok job and can pay for everything, but for a girl to not make an effort it's a big turnoff.

Yeah I feel ya... but I also know girls who don't even take money on dates, they expect it to be paid for. Which I think is... not cool. I also know girls who'll say "I'm broke, I hope I can find a guy to buy me drinks tonight' what in the f*ck

I don't mind when the girl pays from time to time, I know that if I didn't let them they would feel bad for all of the things that I pay for.  However, I will always offer to pay.  Overall, I try to be a nice guy everywhere, as this is what my mama taught me.  Sometimes it scares people when I try to make conversation with them, or offer compliments.  Oh well, fuck it, nice guy fo' lyfe

Move into my house. We always hang out. Win/win.

don't temp me.  i tend to move a lot (ex: NM, CA, WA, OR, PA). I might be moving soon again. just not sure where. Minneapolis looks like a possability.. I want to move to Vermont (Burlington), but doesn't look like an option till summer. Minneapolis looks good and my cousin told me i can take her sons room, since he goes to college in the fall and winter/spring. it's a win win. sorta. 

I’ve never really given much thought about until this whole thing until now. I’ve always been really independent and feel guilty when someone does nice things for me for no reason. It’s painful for me to ask for favors.

the brian guy, I tried to pay for some drinks and he’s like ‘why are you trying to be all modern and pay for things?’  It made me feel weird. He doesn’t let me drive anywhere, open any doors, walk outside without a coat on, or pay for anything.

is it wrong that I want to pay for things sometimes? I’m not passionate about it or anything but if I was the guy... I’d be appreciative of a girl picking the tab up every now and then.

i'd give anything for a woman to pay for something every now and again. or anyone for that matter. i usually have to pay when i go out with anyone. apparently everyone's broke, but i am the lowest paid person i know. go figure.

my friend jillian and i were like that. we were basically a couple till i moved to PA to live my life long dream as a professional whittler. we'd always fight over who would pay for dinner or wine, or what not. she would let me pay and then she'd pay every now and again. it was kinda awesome. my last girlfriend wouldn't so much as buy me a beer if we went out. i once paid for her car payment because she was behind. never even got a thanks. not to mention she dyed her hair in my restroom and totally fucked it up with no apology. she cheated on me too. but that was the least of it to tell you the truth. haha. 

if you go to fest, i'll let you buy me pizza and in return will buy you patties from raggae shack. they are awesome!!

I don't mind when the girl pays from time to time, I know that if I didn't let them they would feel bad for all of the things that I pay for.  However, I will always offer to pay.  Overall, I try to be a nice guy everywhere, as this is what my mama taught me.  Sometimes it scares people when I try to make conversation with them, or offer compliments.  Oh well, fuck it, nice guy fo' lyfe

actually offering to pay (even if you dont let them) is a good trait for anyone to have. it shows someone respects you enough to at least get you rom time to time (if it's for a beer or food, or whatever). that you are worth their time and money on occasion.

i'd give anything for a woman to pay for something every now and again. or anyone for that matter. i usually have to pay when i go out with anyone. apparently everyone's broke, but i am the lowest paid person i know. go figure.

my friend jillian and i were like that. we were basically a couple till i moved to PA to live my life long dream as a professional whittler. we'd always fight over who would pay for dinner or wine, or what not. she would let me pay and then she'd pay every now and again. it was kinda awesome. my last girlfriend wouldn't so much as buy me a beer if we went out. i once paid for her car payment because she was behind. never even got a thanks. not to mention she dyed her hair in my restroom and totally fucked it up with no apology. she cheated on me too. but that was the least of it to tell you the truth. haha. 

if you go to fest, i'll let you buy me pizza and in return will buy you patties from raggae shack. they are awesome!!

meanwhile, i have dude friends that insist on at least going dutch on a first date.  they also save treating a girl to dinner for special occasions.  while i totally understand that, especially in modern times, i feel like it's nice to want to treat a woman well.  i've tried to wrap my head around the philosophy behind the expectations on the male and female end of dating, and i get nowhere.  it's almost hard not to offend someone, one way or another.  ...this is probably why i'm single.  too much thought in the mechanics, not enough practice. one day, some woman will appreciate me.  i even know how to cook and do laundry and make a bed.  sup!

Yeah I feel ya... but I also know girls who don't even take money on dates, they expect it to be paid for. Which I think is... not cool. I also know girls who'll say "I'm broke, I hope I can find a guy to buy me drinks tonight' what in the f*ck

we use to have this girl who would do that at the bar we frequented. i knew off the bat what she was trying to do. we just never offered to get her beer. she left us alone after several minutes and she'd move on to the next person to try to shmooze off of. i seriously am always skeptical about random hot women walking up to me and trying to chit chat at a bar. because really c'mon, you'd rather be somewhere else than trying to talk me up for free alcohol.