Urban Outfitters Exclusive Vinyl & Sale Discussion

I once thought I was getting a good deal by picking up Modest Mouse "good news..." for like $18 bucks on VIP sale at a local shop. I was actually really happy with that price, then I walked by Urban literally a block away and saw they had a ton of records. I found good news for 14 bucks.

Immediately returned the copy I just bought. That was like the only good price on any record I saw in there though.

Probably not gonna order from them online again. I ordered Charli XCX "Sucker" and the first two copies they sent me were destroyed. Took them almost a month to ship the third copy, which they said was on backorder at one warehouse but in stock at another one and still wouldn't mail it out from that other one. But anyways, when they shipped the third, it still had some corner dings and bending on the cover on the edge of the record (like ring wear, except creasing instead of fading). But at that point I had decided I was annoyed with dealing with them so I didn't bother sending that one back.

To address the spotty/shitty shipping issues (if it hasn't been already), Urban sends orders out from stores in an effort to cut down on shipping times. When you order an album, and it comes up on "pack & ship," you're at the mercy of whatever employee is filling orders at that store. I can't speak to how things are packaged at other stores, but mine has vinyl mailers. We also don't allow anyone who isn't in management to package orders. There are stores with employees and management who are fellow record collectors and give a shit. If you're getting things in plastic mailers, or albums just thrown in boxes, I can guarantee it was filled in a store that isn't properly instructing its staff. 

The easiest way to tell if you got a record from a store is to check and see if it has a small price sticker that is also a sensor. Albums from our record distributers and warehouses will never have a price sticker/sensor. 

If an order got sent to you in substandard packaging, and it's from a store, I would urge you to call the customer service line and complain. Every pack & ship order has an employee name attached to it, and complaints do get sent to the store that sent it out. You can also order from the customer service line and tell them you don't want anything sent from a retail location. I think the more attention gets brought to the care of records at the store level, the better.

Probably already posted this in this thread earlier but I got a copy of Elephant that was torn to shreds with severe corner creases.  I called customer support and asked for a replacement and told them that I'd like a copy from the warehouse and not a store copy.  They obliged and I got a nice crisp copy in the mail 4-5 days later!

To address the spotty/shitty shipping issues (if it hasn't been already), Urban sends orders out from stores in an effort to cut down on shipping times. When you order an album, and it comes up on "pack & ship," you're at the mercy of whatever employee is filling orders at that store. I can't speak to how things are packaged at other stores, but mine has vinyl mailers. We also don't allow anyone who isn't in management to package orders. There are stores with employees and management who are fellow record collectors and give a shit. If you're getting things in plastic mailers, or albums just thrown in boxes, I can guarantee it was filled in a store that isn't properly instructing its staff. 

The easiest way to tell if you got a record from a store is to check and see if it has a small price sticker that is also a sensor. Albums from our record distributers and warehouses will never have a price sticker/sensor. 

If an order got sent to you in substandard packaging, and it's from a store, I would urge you to call the customer service line and complain. Every pack & ship order has an employee name attached to it, and complaints do get sent to the store that sent it out. You can also order from the customer service line and tell them you don't want anything sent from a retail location. I think the more attention gets brought to the care of records at the store level, the better.

I did contact customer service about a poor shipping job and they told me they couldn't do anything about it because it came from a store, not the warehouse.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, (1) I received Physical World.  (2) Thrown inside a UPS box.  (3) Shrink was basically open on the record side, jacket had a slice down it from a box cutter.  3 strikes.  I'll be returning to my local store and have already sent them an online love letter.  First shipment I've ever received from them without a proper mailer inside a larger box.  Shipped from San Diego area.  Item number matched up with online listing, so I also asked them to take the listing down or correct it.  (PS, thanks for the heads up, was worth a shot!)

FYI, (1) I received Physical World.  (2) Thrown inside a UPS box.  (3) Shrink was basically open on the record side, jacket had a slice down it from a box cutter.  3 strikes.  I'll be returning to my local store and have already sent them an online love letter.  First shipment I've ever received from them without a proper mailer inside a larger box.  Shipped from San Diego area.  Item number matched up with online listing, so I also asked them to take the listing down or correct it.  (PS, thanks for the heads up, was worth a shot!)

I also received The Physical World instead of Heads Up and sent a very lovely letter to them as well. Mine was shipped very well though.

Should have known it was to good to be true.

• 2 weeks later...

So. Is it cheaper to get these exclusive records at the actual stores or via mail? I ask b/c I just discovered there's an UO near me. 

It should still be the same either way, as long as via mail, is to your local store.  Ship to store is free.   Usually, shipping to your home is free w $50 in purchases, but they always ship to store for free

Went today to try to find Mirage Rock for the sale price and of course both copies my store had were trashed and half-sealed. I did see that the Dum Dum Girls album, Too True, was reduced from $10 to $5 though. I already picked that up for the sale price last year and would highly recommend it. 

Went today to try to find Mirage Rock for the sale price and of course both copies my store had were trashed and half-sealed. I did see that the Dum Dum Girls album, Too True, was reduced from $10 to $5 though. I already picked that up for the sale price last year and would highly recommend it. 

Yeah.  Too True is one of last year's more underrated albums.