$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

Man, I really want one of these. I still have a shitty crossly-like table and have been meaning to upgrade for a while.

Is this Audio Technica ATLP120 worth the extra money over the U-Turn?

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q

Man, I really want one of these. I still have a shitty crossly-like table and have been meaning to upgrade for a while.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q

I'd hold off and wait to see some reviews on the U-turn. 

I like my AT LP120 a lot. But had I done more research, Knowing what I know now, I would have purchased a Carbon debut, or just waited to purchase a U turn when they started rolling out their models if the reviews were good. The AT LP120 is definitely a nice step up from a crosley, but if you're not going to rip vinyl to mp3s then it's really not worth it unless you modify it. even then, because the tone arm runs through so many different processors before it actually hits the speakers (due to the crap built in preamp, And the mp3 encoding circuitry) it kind of 'dampens' the sound as it is, add being able to hear the turntable motor running slightly in between songs and I feel I'm definitely not getting as near a pure audio sound as I could be if I owned a better player.

I like my AT LP120 a lot. But had I done more research, Knowing what I know now, I would have purchased a Carbon debut, or just waited to purchase a U turn when they started rolling out their models if the reviews were good. The AT LP120 is definitely a nice step up from a crosley, but if you're not going to rip vinyl to mp3s then it's really not worth it unless you modify it. even then, because the tone arm runs through so many different processors before it actually hits the speakers (due to the crap built in preamp, And the mp3 encoding circuitry) it kind of 'dampens' the sound as it is, add being able to hear the turntable motor running slightly in between songs and I feel I'm definitely not getting as near a pure audio sound as I could be if I owned a better player.

Thanks, I wouldn't use it to rip the records to mp3, just to play them. I think if the UTurn gets good reviews I'm going to go with that.

Yo Ry- I'm curious about the same things.  Trying to wait it out for some freviews but I'm not even sure where to find them. Google searches just turn back results about their kickstarter in 2012.

Very curious about this in the next few months with Christmas coming up... I want to know if I'll have to go Debut Carbon or can go U-Turn!

If anyone finds some reviews I'd be very greatful.

Just use the RCA out and a RCA to headphone jack and capture at 24bit/96khz.  Then convert to whatever format you like later, that's what I have been doing since I got into vinyl.  Surprisingly good quality. 

*I highly doubt mp3 conversion is being done on the table itself... but the sound is converted by an onboard DAC then sent to the computer for encoding if you use the USB option.

too lazy to look, how much is the Carbon? The Plus version of this looks sick af in black with the clear platter. Might get it if it's worth it.

I can't recommend the Carbon enough for the "entry" level higher quality turntable. I bought the piano black and then added an Acryl It platter later. I noticed a sound difference right away and did sound comparisons side by side with my Numark Pro TT2. It also comes with a presinstalled 2m Red cartridge.

I would say to anyone looking to buy a cheaper table to save a few more bucks and go with the Carbon. Told my buddy to buy one because he is just getting back into records and he is stoked. I'm not an audiophile, I just know this is a damn nice table.

Yeah making the switch to the Debut Carbon has been amazing.  I now here stuff on my iPod in the car that I've listened to on record and I'm constantly saying man it sounds so much better on vinyl.  Its totally worth it, sometimes there just aren't any short cuts for good quality.

• 2 weeks later...

What keeps the belt from stretching really easy? If you're constantly switching from 45s to LPs wouldn't the speed be affected?

That's a good question. 

In any case, I'm pretty close to grabbing a basic model.  If I can get a comparable turntable for under $200 shipped, I'll take my chances.  That belt constantly being subject to human hands does leave me hesitant, though.