$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

So, I've had my Orbit Plus since July, and it's always sounded phenomenal, but since the beginning, it's seem like I'm getting an overly excessive amount of surface noise on some records. It's always been annoying, but today I am trying to listen to Happu Body Slow Brain's Dreams of Water and the whole first half of side A has so much surface noise that it's almost unbearable. I've tried using a static brush, a cleaning brush, but nothing seems to work. Is there something I whould check with the cart or something or is it just had records? It does it with random records. Lots of color/swirl/etc, but it also does it with some black records.

So, I've had my Orbit Plus since July, and it's always sounded phenomenal, but since the beginning, it's seem like I'm getting an overly excessive amount of surface noise on some records. It's always been annoying, but today I am trying to listen to Happu Body Slow Brain's Dreams of Water and the whole first half of side A has so much surface noise that it's almost unbearable. I've tried using a static brush, a cleaning brush, but nothing seems to work. Is there something I whould check with the cart or something or is it just had records? It does it with random records. Lots of color/swirl/etc, but it also does it with some black records.

I only ask this because you didn't exactly say it in your question.  Did you try cleaning the stylus? It sounded like you brushed and clean the record but you may want to try cleaning the stylus.  

I need to get a new needle for my AT-LP120, and I was curious if the orbit plus is a better table. I might just sell the 120 and go with this if it is a better turntable.

I was in your exact position but instead of the orbit I decided to go a little bit bigger and went with the MMF 2.2 and it's absolutely amazing. I say you sell the LP120 and put that money towards a MMF or a Project Carbon. That's just my opinion though.

Alright, I'm considering this as an option for my first. Does this come with a preamp installed?

I also have a question about Speakers - if I get powered speakers, I don't need a preamp or a receiver, right?

The Orbit does not have a phono preamp installed, so you will still need one of those. Cheap phono pre amps can be anywhere from $25-40 dollars if you just want something to get the job done. Search "phono pre amp" on Amazon and read some reviews.

And then if you get powered speakers you wouldn't need a receiver, they can plug right into the preamp.

The Orbit does not have a phono preamp installed, so you will still need one of those. Cheap phono pre amps can be anywhere from $25-40 dollars if you just want something to get the job done. Search "phono pre amp" on Amazon and read some reviews.

And then if you get powered speakers you wouldn't need a receiver, they can plug right into the preamp.

They also sell their recommended pre amp on their website for $50.

I've been using my Orbit for 3+ months and everything was going great, but have recently been noticing a speed issue. It's spinning slower which I double checked by simply matching the song playing with the same song playing from my iphone and the TT song ends up out of sync.

Anything I can try out before contacting them? The belt is attached normally and doesn't move up and down. The table is level and I took the spindle off and it wasn't blocked up with anything either.

I've been using my Orbit for 3+ months and everything was going great, but have recently been noticing a speed issue. It's spinning slower which I double checked by simply matching the song playing with the same song playing from my iphone and the TT song ends up out of sync.

Anything I can try out before contacting them? The belt is attached normally and doesn't move up and down. The table is level and I took the spindle off and it wasn't blocked up with anything either.

I would just contact them.  I don't have any personal experience but I've heard their customer service is pretty good.

If you have a smartphone with an accelerometer, there's an RPM app that is pretty accurate. Use that, maybe a reading can help them diagnose the issue.

Yeah, I saw one called iRPM, but it's not available in the U.S. It would be nice to know exactly how much it's off, but it's definitly audible especially records I have listened to a lot since my ears are so familiar with them.

Alright, so I actually went past page one of a google search and found an app called 'Turntabulator' which gave me a reading of 33.28 and 44.88, which is pretty close.

Thanks for everyone's help! Especially ajxd for making me dig deeper into finding an app.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone experienced or know of someone that has issues with the Orbit's internal ground wire? My system suddenly has a really loud hum. I tried it with a different receiver, which was properly grounded like my receiver, and I still got a godawful hum when I selected the phono input. Swapped out interconnects as well, so it seems to be an issue with the turntable.