Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

Maynard has publicly stated he hates utilizing analog because it's a limited medium in regards to recording efficiency. 

He's one of the few that pushes high resolution digital not only for the convenience but because he prefers the "clean" production. Add all that with the fact that he hates the majority of Tool's fanbase. He wants Tool to be heard on a CD instead of vinyl.

IMO, I don't think we'll see more official pressings of this until he drops dead or the second hand prices start hitting in the thousands. Money talks at the end of the day.

At this point I've just accepted that we should be thankful for what Tool stuff is out and hope that if a new album ever does happen it gets released on vinyl, I doubt reissues will ever occur until people start dying, hopefully it's not the case, but I definitely don't wake up everyday hoping that 10,000 Days is finally being officially pressed or for an Ænima reissue.

...I do...  :(

• 1 month later...

Guessing this is the official tool thread? Anyways- wanted to share this rad side project i just found out about - https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/4981144?ev=rb

Danny drums and its this jazzy sorta proggy album. Really good stuff. Check it out

I have this, I suppose I should actually listen to it!

yeah my copies of Opiate and Undertow are first press, signed, and have been passed around by the entire band to take shits on, so they're worth a lot, needless to say

Oh yeah... I forgot that those were cheap and readily available. I still wonder what the source is for the Undertow 2XLP that has never gone out of print.

Maynard has publicly stated he hates utilizing analog because it's a limited medium in regards to recording efficiency. 

He's one of the few that pushes high resolution digital not only for the convenience but because he prefers the "clean" production. Add all that with the fact that he hates the majority of Tool's fanbase. He wants Tool to be heard on a CD instead of vinyl.

IMO, I don't think we'll see more official pressings of this until he drops dead or the second hand prices start hitting in the thousands. Money talks at the end of the day.

Personally, i think it'd be best to just have a 24bit lossless release that is mastered like they do for vinyl.  There would be no problems with track order, pressings, or pic discs or any of that nonsense.

Guessing this is the official tool thread? Anyways- wanted to share this rad side project i just found out about - https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/4981144?ev=rb

Danny drums and its this jazzy sorta proggy album. Really good stuff. Check it out

I've had this for a year or so. I think I've only listened to it in its entelirety just once. No vocals,after the first LP it gets kinda redundant.

To anyone who used to frequent the official Tool board, Volto was the only thing they talked about from 2006-???

• 2 months later...

Hey all! It has been a bit of time past since I have posted, but I love this thread. I just purchased this lot of Tool Lp's.

I know it's a hit and miss affair with 10,000 Days and Ænima, I am more confident about the quality of the Lollapalooza disc but I am taking a plunge. Here are the Discog listings for what I bought. Any informed opinions on the first two are greatly appreciated. 

https://www.discogs.com/Tool-%C3%86nima/release/2434710

https://www.discogs.com/Tool-10000-Days/release/2324248

https://www.discogs.com/Tool-Lollapalooza/release/3479755

Edited by My Big 12"

51 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

The first 2 are direct copies of the CD.

Many people are unhappy with the quality of the 10k Days. I never bothered to buy it. 

Thanks! I guess ultimately they will be cool novelties with a meh' to slightly above average sound to good. I have been wanting the Lollapalooza live promo for eons, and that will be more than satisfactory I would think. 

Edited by My Big 12"

The cover and tracklist match the original single disc "promo pressing" that came out in 1993.

The promo copies were on Grey vinyl, and the retail copies were on clear.

I have the clear one, and it sounds AMAZING. Blows away the 2LP press that came out a few years later, but is missing "Disgustipated."

I am really hoping they used the same plates as the first issue.

Def another boot.

My guess is it's another MP3

And for the "record", the first black press of Undertow sounds fantastic (printed sleeves and labels) sounds great and can be had for less than the price of the boot.  

The next press with the plain sleeves but printed labels sounds good too, but not like the other.  The press that's out now sounds like poop.

I have a copy of the plain sleeves/ printed label that I will be throwing up on Diacogs soon.

Edited by vinyl addict

On 12/13/2015 at 2:42 PM, dobyblue said:

Every RSD I hope we'll hear the Bernie cut of AEnima for Classic will be released by Tool.
No friggin' way I can afford $400+ for a test pressing, but have thought about it a few times! My Classic cuts of Zeppelin and Peter Gabriel are so good.

That would be soooooooo sweet to have a Grundman remastered all analog vinyl.. Or did they even record this in analog? Either way, it would be pristine bliss.

Kalamazoo_zpstbzusgwx.jpgHa! Just found my Wings Stadium Kalamazoo 98', Philly 92', the Toolshed demo, and the kind of crappy and yet still cool enough to keep Dutch "Sober" promo "tales From The Darkside" that sounds superb on the live tracks especially, but with the ridiculously edited out curse words. What? was there some kind of crazy ban on curse words in the 90's in the Netherlands?    it's on my hard drive that I ripped from various cd's and CD-R I have collected over the years. It's  loaded with various Tool delicacies and a buttload of promos. I need to go through all this stuff. If anyone is interested, I can help you out on some stuff that you may not have.

I am sure much of this bootleg stuff is all over the interweb, but I have had this stuff, some purchased and other stuff sometimes given to me by some music industry people I was fortunate to meet at a party at Mick Mars' house in Palmdale California. Too make this story even more oddly cool, I got to that party via Michael Chambers aka "Turbo" from the "Breakin" movies and various Mtv videos with Chaka Khan. We met at O'Hara's Cantina, when I dated a fine lady who was the karaoke' host. Great times for sure. 

Thanks for reading this, just wanted to let you know it wasn't a load of bull and the offer is always open.

Edited by My Big 12"

On May 23, 2016 at 7:51 AM, vinyl addict said:

Def another boot.

My guess is it's another MP3

And for the "record", the first black press of Undertow sounds fantastic (printed sleeves and labels) sounds great and can be had for less than the price of the boot.  

The next press with the plain sleeves but printed labels sounds good too, but not like the other.  The press that's out now sounds like poop.

I have a copy of the plain sleeves/ printed label that I will be throwing up on Diacogs soon.

I actually have the same double LP pressing with the inner art sleeves, and the 2 black and 2 white picture labels.

That first pressing on clear just blew the above pressing out of the water. (To my ears anyway)

The only reason I kept it was for the missing song and the extra artwork.

Thanks for the follow up that the subsequent pressings are lacking.  ;)