Recently Viewing

Had a movie night with my girlfriend tonight.  We watched:

- Snowtown Murders

- Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

- Saved!

- Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer

I've seen Tucker & Dale vs. Evil and Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer before.  The other two films were pretty good though.  Snowtown Murders could've been a little better but Saved! was hilarious.

True Detective is skipping a week because of the Super Bowl :( :(

I don't like sports, but I'm never the guy who complains about other people liking them. This, however, crosses the line and fuck sports forever.

Just watched Riki Oh: The Story of Ricky. What an odd and kinda fucked up movie. It was weird seeing that head smashing clip from The Daily Show (Craig Kilborn era) in context.

Finally went to see The Wolf of Wall Street last night and am on the fence about how much I enjoyed it.

Essentially it's Goodfellas on Wall Street, which isn't a bad thing at all. The performances from everyone were really amazing. I am not a Leo Dicaprio fan at all, but enjoyed him in this quite a bit. I was really surprised at how well he did with the physical comedy of the role, which isn't really in his wheelhouse generally.

Jonah Hill was amazing. Probably my favorite person in the entire movie. Seriously funny.

I think my problem with the movie come from not really seeing the flip side to the debauchery and excess. They showed the rewards of their schemes, but not the people who were impacted. It was discussed, but in a very flippant way. Leo made the character almost likable and sympathetic... but he shouldn't have been. The guy (Jordan Belfort) is a fucking vile human. We should have hated him, but without seeing the impact of what he was doing you have no reason too.

Watched The Counselor last night. Was pretty disappointed, the plot, cast, and director all looked promising but it ended up pretty confusing, misguided and unoriginal. I may give it a second chance in a couple months, reading about it online it already has a cult following despite poor reviews.

After all the bad reviews, I went into it with very low expectations. Because of that, I ended up liking it enough to want to watch it a second time.

The Way Way Back. Good flick.

One of my favorites from last year.

i just watched wolf of wall street and i echo all the amazing things said about it.  can't believe some of this shit that happened and i kind of wish i could read the book to verify without giving belfort a dime.

crazy movie.

I bet a library would have it.

Really liking "an idiot abroad". If you like Gervais's other shows, you'll love this. I really enjoyed Derek and LOVED life's too short. Still gotta go back and watch extras and the original office (after finishing up idiot).

Did you watch Hello Ladies? It was only Stephen Merchant, but it was really good. HBO cancelled it unfortunately.

Just watched Inception for the first time last night and Animal Crackers by the Marx Brothers today. I'm surprised at how little I knew about Inception going into it despite the whole world not being able to shut the fuck up about it for six months after it came out. It was nice to not have stuff spoiled. Both were great! Does anyone use icheckmovies.com? Its like Justin's seendb but for movies. I've enjoyed having that as a resource

I think I posted before that I'm making my way through a few shows.  But if I did, here's an update:

- The Simpsons (3 discs into the 4th season)

- American Dad (just finished up the 6th season)

- South Park (just finished up the 8th season)

I have the Futurama: Complete Boxset that I'm probably gonna start on here after a while as well.  I also just picked up the Clone High: Season 1 DVD.  It says season 1 even though they apparently only had one season?  I've heard really good things about the show but I've never seen a single episode.

Did you watch Hello Ladies? It was only Stephen Merchant, but it was really good. HBO cancelled it unfortunately.

I didn't really care for it myself, but it did improve toward the end.  They're doing a special of some kind to wrap up the story.

I also just picked up the Clone High: Season 1 DVD.  It says season 1 even though they apparently only had one season?  I've heard really good things about the show but I've never seen a single episode.

I haven't watched those in quite a while, but I thought it was hilarious.  Only one season is correct.  Far warning, it does end on a cliffhanger that never gets resolved due to that.  It's frustrating, but doesn't really ruin the experience overall.

I tried to get into that show, but couldn't. It was almost painful to watch. Loved the Ricky Gervais show though. 

BTW - If you guys aren't watching Brooklyn Nine-nine you are really missing out. One of my favorite new shows. 

I tried to get into that show, but couldn't. It was almost painful to watch. Loved the Ricky Gervais show though. 

BTW - If you guys aren't watching Brooklyn Nine-nine you are really missing out. One of my favorite new shows. 

Yeah I could see how Hello Ladies was painful for some people. I cringed so much during it, but still enjoyed it.

And yeah, Brooklyn 99 is awesome, it's one of the few shows where they hit their stride almost right out of the gate.