What happened?

Crowd was pretty chatty during the show. Maybe 10 songs in, Andy Jackson was playing and you could hear the crowd chatting. The rest of the group were sitting on stage behind (they each took a turn playing a song all night). Chris grabbed one of the mics and yelled "Shut the fuck up, you're bumming me out" and then dropped his guitar down and left the stage. He came back a song or two later to sit back down with a shot. Matt played a new song (which was very good), with still talking in the crowd. Chris was up next and refused to play, clutching his guitar and then finally got up and gave a speech about respect, and how they are away from their families to do this.. while the crowd is just talking. Matt and Andy tried to calm him down which didn't really go well. Chris awkwardly did a song acapella while grabbing and wearing a table cloth as a cape. At that point, shit was just weird. Matt jumped back up to play a Get Up Kids song to try and get the crowd back (cutting in line in front of Dan and Andy, which just led to more visible confusion).. Chris was beating on his guitar (off-beat) and then left, then the rest of them all left confused. Dan came back, followed by Andy and Anthony and took about 3 rounds on their own, Anthony stating "the wheels have fallen off, no idea what is happening". Matt came back after 8 or so songs and joined in rotation with the other 3 guys. Chris never came back. Towards the end, someone from side of the stage called Matt over and was talking to him, while Dan was sitting next to them getting noticeably angry, I think the guy was telling them to wrap it up?

I also went to the show in Philly this past Friday night and left pretty early in. That show the crowd was WAY too loud. Hard to hear the music over the conversations all around me. Asbury Park wasn't nearly as bad, but I guess it all caught up to Chris (the mixture of alcohol didn't help either).

Edit: sorry for the long post

Morning all. 5 more days of vacation, yes!

Hopefully my house is still standing when we get back tomorrow night...

It's not super bad, just heavy rain, but hopefully everything will be just as you left it. Too many cute pictures on IG, thumbs getting sore from liking them all :) Those little ones are just TOO CUTE with the little ears on! 

Doing anything special during the remaining days of your vacation?

Not too much, going to take advantage of our last day at the water area and then tomorrow going to hit the aquarium here in Charlotte. Then when I get back into town tomorrow night I plan to RELAX the last 4 days of vacation haha

It's not super bad, just heavy rain, but hopefully everything will be just as you left it. Too many cute pictures on IG, thumbs getting sore from liking them all :) Those little ones are just TOO CUTE with the little ears on!

Ha, thanks man. Still going to try to get your way this weekend. Need a homie hang

Crowd was pretty chatty during the show. Maybe 10 songs in, Andy Jackson was playing and you could hear the crowd chatting. The rest of the group were sitting on stage behind (they each took a turn playing a song all night). Chris grabbed one of the mics and yelled "Shut the fuck up, you're bumming me out" and then dropped his guitar down and left the stage. He came back a song or two later to sit back down with a shot. Matt played a new song (which was very good), with still talking in the crowd. Chris was up next and refused to play, clutching his guitar and then finally got up and gave a speech about respect, and how they are away from their families to do this.. while the crowd is just talking. Matt and Andy tried to calm him down which didn't really go well. Chris awkwardly did a song acapella while grabbing and wearing a table cloth as a cape. At that point, shit was just weird. Matt jumped back up to play a Get Up Kids song to try and get the crowd back (cutting in line in front of Dan and Andy, which just led to more visible confusion).. Chris was beating on his guitar (off-beat) and then left, then the rest of them all left confused. Dan came back, followed by Andy and Anthony and took about 3 rounds on their own, Anthony stating "the wheels have fallen off, no idea what is happening". Matt came back after 8 or so songs and joined in rotation with the other 3 guys. Chris never came back. Towards the end, someone from side of the stage called Matt over and was talking to him, while Dan was sitting next to them getting noticeably angry, I think the guy was telling them to wrap it up?

I also went to the show in Philly this past Friday night and left pretty early in. That show the crowd was WAY too loud. Hard to hear the music over the conversations all around me. Asbury Park wasn't nearly as bad, but I guess it all caught up to Chris (the mixture of alcohol didn't help either).

Sounds similar to Mark Kozelek's meltdown at that festival in NC a couple of years ago where he told a crowd "All you hillbillies shut the fuck up". I get it though, if you're supposed to be listening to an intimate performance, it makes no sense to pay for a ticket and then talk over it. I know alcohol doesn't help, but it can't be the continual excuse for it. Sounds like a huge bummer though, but at least it's something for the memory books

Gotta love that shit. People go to a show and all they do is run their mouths with their friends instead of watching & listening to the band(s) on stage. And of course it's way better when all they do is hold up their damn phones to snap pics all night and shoot a crappy video that they'll never ever watch anyways. I hate people @ shows.

I'm so salty that I call these people out on their bullshit. Tell 'em to shut the fuck up and enjoy the show and put their fuckin' phones down.

Sounds similar to Mark Kozelek's meltdown at that festival in NC a couple of years ago where he told a crowd "All you hillbillies shut the fuck up". I get it though, if you're supposed to be listening to an intimate performance, it makes no sense to pay for a ticket and then talk over it. I know alcohol doesn't help, but it can't be the continual excuse for it. Sounds like a huge bummer though, but at least it's something for the memory books

I agree, the tickets (and website) said show was starting at 7:30, they didn't actually go on until 8:25ish.. so plenty of drinking time for people.. but that's no an excuse to be disrespectful to the entertainers on stage, and also the people around you that paid money to enjoy the show.

I give Dan, Andy and Anthony a ton of credit for right away pushing through the confusion and just overall awkwardness to really salvage the evening.

Jeez, people suck. Why the hell go to a show if you're just going to be talking the whole time? I would've

probably exploded like Chris did. It builds up and at some point you just reach your boiling point.

Thanks for explaining what happened.

I've only seen the performer blow up on the crowd a couple times, one was the rapper Eyedea flipped off some drunk guy talking really loud and then said "shut up you dumb drunk motherfucker" after and the guy said some shit back and got kicked out while Eydea flipped him off on the way out. The performance just kind of continued from there, and he died like 2-3 weeks later, there was like 20-30 people there. The other was Keith Morris (of course) when I saw OFF! "I'm sorry did we interrupt your conversation? Because we drove all this way to hear you two talk, I'm sorry go ahead don't let us interrupt you" The people got embarrassed and shut up, I love how salty Keith is.

I love how salty Keith is.

That hairline though.... ;)

Jeff Tweedy does it too if you watch Sunken Treasure he goes on a diatribe about how rude it is to be talking while he is trying to play and how he is not being a pissy artist but angry at them ruining other people's experience

Those dudes (TGUK) aren't really the sort to kind of explode like that either, so they must have been really frustrated.

Gotta love that shit. People go to a show and all they do is run their mouths with their friends instead of watching & listening to the band(s) on stage. And of course it's way better when all they do is hold up their damn phones to snap pics all night and shoot a crappy video that they'll never ever watch anyways. I hate people @ shows.

I'm so salty that I call these people out on their bullshit. Tell 'em to shut the fuck up and enjoy the show and put their fuckin' phones down.

Right? Fuck those assholes. I paid money to be here because I want to hear the band, not about your shitty tinder date last night, dick. I tell them they need to shut up, or take it to the back of the venue at the very least.

I've only seen the performer blow up on the crowd a couple times, one was the rapper Eyedea flipped off some drunk guy talking really loud and then said "shut up you dumb drunk motherfucker" after and the guy said some shit back and got kicked out while Eydea flipped him off on the way out. The performance just kind of continued from there, and he died like 2-3 weeks later, there was like 20-30 people there. The other was Keith Morris (of course) when I saw OFF! "I'm sorry did we interrupt your conversation? Because we drove all this way to hear you two talk, I'm sorry go ahead don't let us interrupt you" The people got embarrassed and shut up, I love how salty Keith is.

When I saw Bane at the Middle East upstairs a couple years ago there was some dude who kept shit talking Zach (guitarist) between songs and at one point threatened to "take him outside" - so Zach just smiled at him and said "really, you wanna hit me? Go ahead, see what happens." Drunk dude took a swing, not realizing I guess what happens when you assault a member of Bane at a show in Boston...ended up getting pummelled out of the venue by half the band + another 10-12 people at the show. We found out later that he pretty much got punched for about three city blocks and ended up getting thrown through a window of a restaurant up Mass Ave.

I mean, I'm pretty much opposed to violence at shows (or anywhere, really) but that had to have been one of the dumbest alchohol-driven decisions made that summer.

i had tix to go to the where's the band show in brooklyn on saturday. but with everything that went down last week, wasn't feeling up to it. i had a feeling it would be obnoxious drunk people being too loud to enjoy the music and i just wasn't in the mood to deal with that bullshit. glad i wound up skipping it. 

When I saw Bane at the Middle East upstairs a couple years ago there was some dude who kept shit talking Zach (guitarist) between songs and at one point threatened to "take him outside" - so Zach just smiled at him and said "really, you wanna hit me? Go ahead, see what happens." Drunk dude took a swing, not realizing I guess what happens when you assault a member of Bane at a show in Boston...ended up getting pummelled out of the venue by half the band + another 10-12 people at the show. We found out later that he pretty much got punched for about three city blocks and ended up getting thrown through a window of a restaurant up Mass Ave.

I mean, I'm pretty much opposed to violence at shows (or anywhere, really) but that had to have been one of the dumbest alchohol-driven decisions made that summer.

Last time I saw Bane two dudes fought in the pit for like 5 seconds and someone in Bane was like "You ruined it for everybody" and they walked off and the show was over.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic