has anyone successfully consolidated their student loans?

I’m friends with a girl who’s about 90k in debt with loans right now. biggest problems I’ve heard are that you can only consolidate federal with federal and private with private. and all the loans have to be in your name. so you can’t consolidate with your husband/wife, or if your parents took the loans out in their name.

I’m in the process of paying of my very last school loan. It’s been haunting me for a while, but It’s almost gone. I’m so excited.

i don’t want to misquote, because I already think i was enough of a dick to her, but it went something like:

what is your problem?!

something something la dispute something

I’m an art student and I have a tumblr and I think I have a lot of interesting things to say and contribute to conversations around here.

I’m friends with a girl who’s about 90k in debt with loans right now. biggest problems I’ve heard are that you can only consolidate federal with federal and private with private. and all the loans have to be in your name. so you can’t consolidate with your husband/wife, or if your parents took the loans out in their name.

I’m in the process of paying of my very last school loan. It’s been haunting me for a while, but It’s almost gone. I’m so excited.

haha so happy for you, i really am. this shit is a life ruiner. im not 90k in debt, but not far from it. ive tried consolidating with wells fargo and they shot me down, for reasons that didnt make sense to me. literally, they words and phrases they used, i was clueless. so im trying to get an updated credit report and try other banks. i have 2 fed loans and one private. my private loans is not much at all and no late fees so im not as worried about that one.but my fed loans are fucking stupid. and yes my parents co signed my loans, but we have a family friend who is aiding me in this to get it figured out. she deals with this stuff all day, but theres only so much she can do...its just really frustrating when i know i cant pay it, or my calls up crying and upset because there's a letter in the mail saying that im destroying their credit and how they cant refinance because of these loans...now that ive said all of this, im just mad. i miss my parents so much but never wanna call them because they are gonna talk about these loans. and they know its hard for me and they know im not just NOT paying, i cant afford it. f me. i also feel bad complaining about loans, i know other people have it worse, loan wise and all the other stuff life throws at us. 

i don’t want to misquote, because I already think i was enough of a dick to her, but it went something like:

what is your problem?!

something something la dispute something

I’m an art student and I have a tumblr and I think I have a lot of interesting things to say and contribute to conversations around here.

do we know her tumblr?

Even though I am well over $60k deep in student loan debt, I am glad that they are all in my name. All I can do now is chip away at it...

On the plus side, a good chunk of that loan money went toward my record and gear collections.

Uhh...to better yourself? To become more "employable"?

I went to school because I realized working BS jobs sucked and I wanted to put my mind to better use. Flash forward to now and I am an engineer making over that loan amount per year, not including bonuses.

Did I miss something, or did that guy legitimately imply that most 17 year-old high-school graduates have $30k - $100k in their checking account, post graduation?

"No, of course not.  That's why you work after high-school and save up." -- at 25, I've yet to have a job where I could realistically earn enough money in a year (or two, or three) to pay for all my tuition, books, and-or rooming expenses required to achieve a degree.  Does that even happen for people?

its also the damn interest rates that are fucking ridiculous. i wanted to go to school and im glad i did. the opportunities i was given, the people i met and the places ive been...all life changing. the fact that theres no one doing anything about student loans, just raising the interest rates, and charging late fees. the govt is projected to make 50bil in profit from student loans

Let me rephrase my statement. I feel that a very large amount of fresh out of High School kids go to college because they feel that they have too. They put themselves and there parents in tremendous debt only to move back home or not be able to find a job. We are lied to at a young age that once you graduate you will be handed a 6 figure job. I am 31 and know people who complain about be in debt with a Liberal Arts degree. All you have done is just feed a system that fucks over the next generation that comes along.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic