Complete%20Era%20Cover.jpg

Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Complete Era): Review

Marina Diamandis, best known by her stage name Marina and the Diamonds, is a U.K. based singer, who falls perfectly into the same vein of music of Sky Ferreira and Lana Del Rey, but can't seem to get it quite right. Marina would have what I would call a classical singing voice, but composes music in a non classical style combining, Syth heavy 80's pop with her iconic pseudo 50's look, and her Beautifully trained singing voice; and seems to this have a few kinks to work out in her sound. But what this album lacks, it makes up for in effort.

The album opens up with the song Bubblegum Bitch, which sounds the opening for an 80's comic book based adventure cartoon show, but can't help but sound a bit off brand when doing so, and still it manages sets the tone of the album well, but can't seem to get the execution right, leaving a bad first impression, I'll explain to you why in a second. First we need to talk about how eerily similar the vocals and tempo changes in the song Homewrecker sounds to a Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip track, for the first 25 seconds I felt like I was listening to Last Train Home again. Now back to where the album fails, the album fails because of Marina's 4x4 fetish, track after track, is assaulted with these simple backings, and ruins otherwise good tracks, like Just Desserts, and makes me half expect Pit-Bulls name to be yelled in the intro of tracks like Radioactive.

The album isn't all bad though, and over all it has a great female empowering message with tracks like Sex Yeah, along with a personal side with the insecurities shown on the tracks like Teen Idol. This album is a collection of songs I'd classify as "car bangerz" forgettable bass heavy songs best sang along with friends in a car ride; this album is nothing but car bangerz with a few stand out tracks like Lonely Hearts Club and Hypocrates, all and all this album is okay and shows a lot of potential, but was weighted down by a 4x4 fixation and uninspiring tracks, I'm looking forward to see what Ms.Diamonds has in store next

Final Verdict: STRONG 6/LIGHT 7

No her lyrics are hecka pretentious, like you're not as deep as you sound and her lyrics are so one track and simple and her personality feels contrived as fuck. Her sound is also so dull and uninspired, she's just another disposable alt-pop icon with a rough around the edges look.

Doesn't that apply to probably 95% of the stuff you listen to? So edgy.

That was a pretty bad review, not even because it was negative toward Marina but because...what? I also enjoyed how you've spent so much time disliking her because she's "selfish and pretentious" but barely touched on any lyrics that made you come to the decision. Yet, you enjoy Lana Del Rey. I get her appeal, some of her songs are catchy but she always sounds bored and apathetic. All of her songs are how she can't survive without a man. And yet you think someone like Marina who actually puts so much soul into the music she writes is goin to fade out faster? The only reason she isn't bigger is because her label doesn't really promote her or give her a budget to work for. But she's an incredible human being on stage and off. It's cool that you don't like her sound, not everyone will. But you don't need to write shitty reviews or call her things she's not, dude. I feel like Chris Crocker defending Britney Spears.

Also, for those who can't get into the pop side of Electra Heart and are still curious, listen to some stuff on The Family Jewels. Still pop, more to the lines of Kate Nash.

I went through a lot of tough shit last year and I got through most of it by listening to Marina and Paramore's self titled. No clue why, but it was the only thing that got through to me. So it kinda gets under my skin when people talk negatively about her in a way that doesn't make sense.

Also, in the middle of all that, she sent me a direct message on twitter that said "You are very smart -M"

So, keep me posted on when the shallow, narcissistic, pop princesses that you adore, Eric, read about your struggles and shoot you a message to help make you feel better.

BOOM.

I guess I should elaborate.

The lyrics were not super bad just a bit predictable, and one tracked; I will agree here lyrics have more heart than lana's. It's the instrumentation on this album I don't like, what she did well in songs like Oh No and I Am Not a Robot, is lost in what I'd like to can an overly ambitious production, as most of the instrumentation on this album felt like it was trying to do as much, in it's little time frame as it could resulting in songs that have too much begging for your attention at once; great examples of this are Primadonna and Living Dead. Which is why this album left me with a slightly armature feel. I understand her appeal but don't get the hype. Family Jewels is probally better from what I heard, who knows, I'm definitely going to give her next album a listen

I'm at work so yup!

And Eric, I'm glad you see my side hahaha. I'm not begging you to like her music, I was raised on 80s club remixes (no joke) so Electra probably appeals to me more than most. But the concept behind it is amazing and not a lot of people understood it. You could tell how excited she was for the Electra Heart era to end, just because so many people were bashing her for being shallow. There's only so many times you can explain your creative vision and defend your art before you exhaust yourself.

She did a great thing for me both musically and personally, so I get pretty defensive which might be really silly...but it's hard not to.

As for top three songs, that's so hard.

Are You Satisfied?

Hollywood (acoustic)

Buy the Stars

Seventeen also holds a spot in my heart, but it was way before she developed as a singer/songwriter and is probably a little rough. But it's such a good song.

Edit: bonus song, listen to her cover of Justin Beiber's "Boyfriend"

Also, I wasn't surprised you complemented Teen Idle, Eric. A lot of reasons her fan base is younger is because she doesnt trivialize teenage depression and anxiety. I'm pretty sure any outcast, teenage kid can relate to that song a lot (it descibed me to a T when I was going through school.) So most teens flock to that song.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic