15 minutes ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

I do like my Omega, but I can see more & more where it lacks in mid and high ranges with certain records in particular. I was thinking of jumping to the 2M red to see what it has to offer and then if I want I can just grab another stylus to try the blue out down the road if I'm impressed. I would like to try an AT cart but am afraid of the brightness I have been described repeatedly, and the stories of "the Grado hum". Sucks not having any place near me that sells high end audio equipment so I can go demo some before making such a huge cash leap. Hell, a 2M red will be more than I paid for my TT itself...

Which model Technics do you have? Technics are great tables, and I doubt upgrading to any modern entry level table will be any better. A grado will hum on it, since grados are unshielded, so the electronics from the DD motor cause hum near the inner groves.

3 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Which model Technics do you have? Technics are great tables, and I doubt upgrading to any modern entry level table will be any better. A grado will hum on it, since grados are unshielded, so the electronics from the DD motor cause hum near the inner groves.

I have an SL-3200. It's solid as hell from what I can tell. The person I got it from had it since it was new and had taken very good care of it. I cleaned and serviced it when I got it, which didn't take much honestly. I had a friend who does electronics repair switch out the factory RCA outputs for a short set of females to allow me the option of whatever length chord I want on it and it's self grounded now so no more extra wire hanging out of the back to control it's distance from the amp. After upgrading the cart, my only real want is to get an integrated amp and do away with my receiver since I don't need a radio tuner at all. 

6 minutes ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

I have an SL-3200. It's solid as hell from what I can tell. The person I got it from had it since it was new and had taken very good care of it. I cleaned and serviced it when I got it, which didn't take much honestly. I had a friend who does electronics repair switch out the factory RCA outputs for a short set of females to allow me the option of whatever length chord I want on it and it's self grounded now so no more extra wire hanging out of the back to control it's distance from the amp. After upgrading the cart, my only real want is to get an integrated amp and do away with my receiver since I don't need a radio tuner at all. 

Get the 2m blue. It's well worth the price difference from the red.

26 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Get the 2m blue. It's well worth the price difference from the red.

Between you & T3, I trust anything you guys recommend. Now to deal with the mental idea of a $250 cart on a $45 Turntable lol :) 

40 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Technics are great tables, and I doubt upgrading to any modern entry level table will be any better. 

You're right there, the only reason I can legitimize when I think of replacing my table is purely based on my eye for aesthetics. There's nothing I complain about as far as functionality, ability to keep timing correctly, and general sound etc. I think it being silver against all my other black components is the biggest bitch to me, but that's my OCD for ya...lol

Edited by GreatGreenOne77

17 minutes ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

Between you & T3, I trust anything you guys recommend. Now to deal with the mental idea of a $250 on a $45 Turntable lol :) 

You're right there, the only reason I can legitimize when I think of replacing my table is purely based on my eye for aesthetics. There's nothing I complain about as far as functionality, ability to keep timing correctly, and general sound & function. 

If you ever upgrade your table you can always transfer the blue to it. :)

Oddly enough the speakers are more important than the table, as is the cart. As long as it operates well, like tracking is good and it doesn't weigh down on the record, who cares. So yeah, get that nice blue and see what you've been missing. Even if it's only a $45 table, it'll sound niceeeeeeee.

1 minute ago, Dave Grohl said:

If you ever upgrade your table you can always transfer the blue to it. :)

Oddly enough the speakers are more important than the table, as is the cart. As long as it operates well, like tracking is good and it doesn't weigh down on the record, who cares. So yeah, get that nice blue and see what you've been missing. Even if it's only a $45 table, it'll sound niceeeeeeee.

I was just thinking that too. All together, $300 in a quality table & cart combo isn't really a lot in the grand scheme of things. Since getting new speakers did make a big difference, the cart needs to be upgraded so I will just go ahead and make the leap. Thanks for the advice @Dave Grohl!

3 minutes ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

I was just thinking that too. All together, $300 in a quality table & cart combo isn't really a lot in the grand scheme of things. Since getting new speakers did make a big difference, the cart needs to be upgraded so I will just go ahead and make the leap. Thanks for the advice @Dave Grohl!

You got it, bud. You'll enjoy it for sure. Plus it's so pretty! I went from a Grado Green > Music Tracker > Blue. The difference was insane.

Edited by Dave Grohl

8 hours ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

I do like my Omega, but I can see more & more where it lacks in mid and high ranges with certain records in particular. I was thinking of jumping to the 2M red to see what it has to offer and then if I want I can just grab another stylus to try the blue out down the road if I'm impressed. I would like to try an AT cart but am afraid of the brightness that has been described repeatedly, and the stories of "the Grado hum". Sucks not having any place near me that sells high end audio equipment so I can go demo some before making such a huge cash leap. Hell, a 2M red will be more than I paid for my TT itself...

2M red is what I use, I personally love it some people say it's too bright but it's the best cartridge I've personally owned. I think it's the best needle you can get for $100 and it can handle regular play for at least 5 years so the value is there. I think you will notice the improvement over the omega (I sell omega, red and blue at work as well as grado green and gold) , if you can spring for the blue do it but the red is no slouch

Edited by NapalmBrain

37 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I think I paid like $35 on sale or something back when I got it. Maybe not, but that's how I remember it.

Yeah, it's just OOP and obnoxious. Friend of mine is looking for a copy too but is hoping they'll put it back out because he doesn't have that much cash. He does have an EVA tattoo though

Jason, just read that the Omega is the same body as most of the OM line of carts. That means you can grab any OM stylus (OM10 - OM40) and improve your sound without having to buy a new cart. The OM10 is a red, OM20 is blue, etc. You can also buy 3rd party styli, like the JICO OM30, for cheap. 3rd party stylus seem to have longer cantilevers, so you'd need to realign the cart. accordingly. I recommend double checking alignment after a stylus change anyway, but usually official ones should be exactly the same.

JICO OM30 $66, ships from their factory in Japan.

LPGear selection of Ortofon Styli

$17ppd Pfanstiehl stylus people give some praise. Cantilever looks longer, so will needs alignment adjustments. Worth a shot for the price.

Edited by Thomas³

1 hour ago, Thomas³ said:

I was woken up at 6am by a car crash outside my house, and I can't fall back asleep. There is not even an inch of snow out, so someone must really not know how to drive.

I'm always surprised by the amount of people who can't seem to navigate (or god help them, park) their cars  during the first few snowfalls, as if it's completely different than any other year.

49 minutes ago, chkadea said:

I'm always surprised by the amount of people who can't seem to navigate (or god help them, park) their cars  during the first few snowfalls, as if it's completely different than any other year.

First snowfall this year I saw like 5 accidents on my way to work. I was like "Motherfuckers...it ain't even sticking...what the fuck? This is upstate NY, you're embarrassing yourselves." I've done 360+ spins on the god damn highway and still never hit another car in the damn snow.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic