Is keeping a record sealed worth it?

Not trying to give you a hard time but I really don't understand this. If it all boils down to your connection with the music, how are you getting that connection from an unplayed record? Are you holding the sealed records in your hands while you listen to your I-Pod? Honest question. Otherwise it sounds more like a fetish object ("my precious") than a musical medium.

I can honestly understand this a bit. I did not have a player immediately but bought records anyways. Part for collective nature of things and also cause when I did get my player I had good stuff to listen to. Not a variant collector but sometimes an album you want will selll out fast. Just as records are technically useless without a record player, a record player is useless without your favorite albums.

Not trying to give you a hard time but I really don't understand this. If it all boils down to your connection with the music, how are you getting that connection from an unplayed record? Are you holding the sealed records in your hands while you listen to your I-Pod? Honest question. Otherwise it sounds more like a fetish object ("my precious") than a musical medium.

If you don't understand his post, you obviously don't have the "collector" gene.  And that's okay.  I have lots of friends who don't get why I feel the need to collect certain things.  My limited experience in the VC has given me the impression that a high percentage of posters here share this trait.  But there are also plenty, such as yourself, who do not.

Look, if anyone here is willing to be honest with themselves, they'll admit there's a lot more that goes into buying records than just the listening experience.  Spinning records is the least convenient way to listen to music (well, unless someone is still messing with an old reel-to-reel tape player).  Folks buying records in the digital age are buying for lots of different reasons: a need for ritual, a need to collect (which can border on OCD), superiority complexes (you should hear my $800 cartridge...), etc.  I started collecting before I even had a turntable because I liked the larger format (for the art work) and liked that it was kind of a "niche" product.  I framed and hung several of my favorite albums and loved being able to enjoy them as art.  Then I discovered colored vinyl, crazy splatter vinyl, etc and I thought (and still think) that this really added to the uniqueness of the medium.  Add in the limited quantities of most releases and the collector in me is a junkie for this stuff.  I do enjoy sitting down and spinning a record but, if I'm being honest, the collecting part is probably more rewarding for me.  So yeah, I could see myself listening to Bouncing Souls "Comet" on my iPod while admiring my new tri-color variant.  But I'll admit I've got issues...    

I take all of my records out of the shrink.  I, then, insert them into brand new sleeves before I catalog them in my record cabinet. 

I have a gripe, here, though.  Excuse me for the redundancy, but why should it matter what anyone does with things they purchase with their hard (or not-so-hard) earned money?  I owned about 400 records before I even owned a turntable, and do you know why?  These records mean something to me.  When I got my copy of Jimmy Eat World's "Clarity" in the mail, I opened it and set it down next to me and felt relief.  Relief that a piece of art that meant so much to me (and still does) was now mine.  It was someone else's once, and I hope they found the same appreciation for it as I do.  I own a host of records that I feel a connection to, because I feel a deep connection to the music.  That's why I collect.  Forget the fact that it's higher fidelity, or that the album art is cool, and that sometimes there are vinyl-only tracks and special releases, and the litany of other reasons that vinyl is a great investment.  I invest because I love music.  If I choose not to play a record in my collection, why is that a problem?  It's really that difficult to wrap your head around the fact that people collect for different reasons? 

I don't understand why a majority of the users here feel the need to berate and belittle, as if it's a fucking birthright.  Fact is, at one point, you had just one post on this board, and either you did or didn't ask a question that was asked one too many times, but when it's met with so much animosity, it drives people away from this community.  This community thrives because of the people in it, and I'm sure there are some bad apples on here, but for the most part, why is a new user expected to comb through thousands of posts for an answer to a question when they can just post their inquiry in twenty god damn seconds?  It's sort of shitty.  I love this place, I love being a part of it, I've found tons of records from people here and I frequent this board every day.  It never gets easier to see people being assholes.  Again, I guess that's your prerogative, though.

P.S. I have a copy of "The Decline" on Clear.   

I would gladly pay you one hay penny for that copy of The Decline on clear, good sir! 

1st page, everyone made the same joke, 2nd page, things got way too serious.

To the OP, I'll leave you with the words of advice a homeless guy outside the car wash near my apartment gave to me a few weeks ago: "If it feels good, do it."

To the OP, I'll leave you with the words of advice a homeless guy outside the car wash near my apartment gave to me a few weeks ago: "If it feels good, do it."

;)

It really boils down to a lame answer like 'it's on a case-by-case basis because every record is different.' In fact, that is the lame answer.

The only record that I kept in the shrink is an original 1989 copy of the Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique, for a few reasons:

-I have the 20th anniversary edition to listen to, and I'm sure that must sound better on 120mm vinyl than the original fresh out of the sleeve.

-The cover is different than the re-release--the photo is more squashed (photo to compare them on my blog: http://bit.ly/W3CT6l )

-What are the odds of finding an unopened copy of such a cratedigger all-time favorite? The shrink wrap makes it more unique; hell, I polybagged it to protect the shrink from getting torn. I don't plan to sell it, but if I ever had to, it would be seriously devalued if I'd opened it.

That said, everything else in my 2,000 records is open and ready/meant to be played.

Except for the Doors—we use that for skeetshootin' (just kidding - why would I waste money on The Doors?)

It really boils down to a lame answer like 'it's on a case-by-case basis because every record is different.' In fact, that is the lame answer.

The only record that I kept in the shrink is an original 1989 copy of the Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique, for a few reasons:

-I have the 20th anniversary edition to listen to, and I'm sure that must sound better on 120mm vinyl than the original fresh out of the sleeve.

-The cover is different than the re-release--the photo is more squashed (photo to compare them on my blog: http://bit.ly/W3CT6l )

-What are the odds of finding an unopened copy of such a cratedigger all-time favorite? The shrink wrap makes it more unique; hell, I polybagged it to protect the shrink from getting torn. I don't plan to sell it, but if I ever had to, it would be seriously devalued if I'd opened it.

That said, everything else in my 2,000 records is open and ready/meant to be played.

Except for the Doors—we use that for skeetshootin' (just kidding - why would I waste money on The Doors?)

That squashed cover photo looks awful. I have an original 1989 version myself - the 8 panel gatefold, no squashed cover photo, and  boy the artwork is so good you'd be mad to keep it sealed.

So wait, did you just contradict yourself here? You say its lame to leave any record in the shrink (regardless of its personal value) and then go on to list an example of one that you own? Personally, I think the Beastie Boys kind of blow so that shit would have been unwrapped the second I got home because that record would literally hold no personal value to me. 

Please correct me if I misread what your point was but I think I understood it? 

So wait, did you just contradict yourself here? You say its lame to leave any record in the shrink (regardless of its personal value) and then go on to list an example of one that you own? Personally, I think the Beastie Boys kind of blow so that shit would have been unwrapped the second I got home because that record would literally hold no personal value to me. 

pretty sure he was saying that the answer was lame, i.e., not very helpful/interesting.  and personally, I don't know why you'd buy a beastie boys record if you think they "kind of blow".  in this case, you'd be better off keeping it sealed that way you could return it.  I'd also recommend keeping the receipt, otherwise you may have to settle for store credit.

pretty sure he was saying that the answer was lame, i.e., not very helpful/interesting.  and personally, I don't know why you'd buy a beastie boys record if you think they "kind of blow".  in this case, you'd be better off keeping it sealed that way you could return it.  I'd also recommend keeping the receipt, otherwise you may have to settle for store credit.

Oh, Id never own a Beastie Boys album. If I was given one for free, Id unwrap it and use it as a frisbee for my dog. 

• 1 month later...

To any/everyone posting on this thread about the evils of selling your records for profit:

I would LOVE to buy one of those Brand New TDAGARIM variants from you. 

how's $150 for white TC sound?