Is keeping a record sealed worth it?

i never leave limited items sealed. I always open to check for defects, and then play them. I've had enough trouble with vinyl in the last 3 or 4 years to know better. Getting replacement records on limited items has a very short lifespan.

I have also bought many LPs from the 80s and 90s still sealed and opened them. No warping, and no trouble with the shrink wrecking the cover. 

Reminds me of this hole in the wall record store I used to go to back in the day.   Small as hell with floor to ceiling vinyl located in the 'skid row' area of our city.  The guy was notorious for resealing vinyl with his little shrink wrap machine, which didn't even fool little 12 year old me.  Most of it was in decent shape and you could get a Hendrix or Floyd album for $4 or $5.   He started jacking up his prices when vinyl caught on again and people started moving back downtown.  I'm pretty sure he still does the whole shrink wrap thing.

Has anyone actually experienced any damage from leaving the shrink on a single LP?  It seems like everyone says it's possible, which I can totally see, but have never really heard any firsthand stories.   If I have a single LP I usually just cut a little slit and leave the shrink on unless it's obviously super tight.

I think I've mentioned this sometime in the past but I just can't wait for the mindfuck that's going to happen when they finally introduce a CGC (like for comics) or PSA ( like for trading cards) like system that grades records professionally and then seals them in some non-opening casing.

Some comic book collectors threw a fit when they started doing it ("But comics are for READING!"), I bet vinyl collectors will be even more offended.

I think I've mentioned this sometime in the past but I just can't wait for the mindfuck that's going to happen when they finally introduce a CGC (like for comics) or PSA ( like for trading cards) like system that grades records professionally and then seals them in some non-opening casing.

Some comic book collectors threw a fit when they started doing it ("But comics are for READING!"), I bet vinyl collectors will be even more offended.

This. All of it.

All that damage from shrink wrap talk reminds me of this Tool thread, where someone posted a pic of a sealed OG Aenima with all its four corners bent to curves.

edit: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/82307-tool-vinyl-buying-guide-originalboots-etc/page-13#entry2444014

All that damage from shrink wrap talk reminds me of this Tool thread, where someone posted a pic of a sealed OG Aenima with all its four corners bent to curves.

edit: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/82307-tool-vinyl-buying-guide-originalboots-etc/page-13#entry2444014

That looks horrible!

Has anyone actually experienced any damage from leaving the shrink on a single LP? It seems like everyone says it's possible, which I can totally see, but have never really heard any firsthand stories. If I have a single LP I usually just cut a little slit and leave the shrink on unless it's obviously super tight.

Never had this problem. I have some albums that are 30 years old with shrink still on , only the side "open" spine is exposed so I can get the record out and play it. Covers are still excellent.

That looks like shelving damage. Or that thing was rewrapped.

Has anyone actually experienced any damage from leaving the shrink on a single LP?  It seems like everyone says it's possible, which I can totally see, but have never really heard any firsthand stories.   If I have a single LP I usually just cut a little slit and leave the shrink on unless it's obviously super tight.

I recently got a sealed copy of Horace Tapscott Conducts the Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra Live at the IUCC sealed straight from the label. That's a 37 year old record and I had literally not a single issue with it.

I mentioned in another thread: Last week on Discogs, I sold a sealed original press of Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet that I have owned since new (1986). The buyer wanted me to open it before shipping to prevent damage. I opened that

puppy up (it was kinda exciting) and it was just as I assumed. Perfect condition. No warps, no imprints left from the inner sleeve. No nothing.

Keep your records in the correct environment and they will not warp.