Purchasing A Diamond?

never go to any of those chain stores, robins brothers is the worst. If you go there you're gonna be there for a couple hours, with them trying hard to sell to you. my suggestion is to go to a jewelry district and shop around, haggle as much as you can, and only get what you know she will love.

- look online first at whats in your area, it helped a lot. you would think that would be obvious but if not - you will be driving all over the place.

-read / ask about their replacement / warranty policies. some places - like kay and jared (owned by the same parent company) - have very stringent policies if the diamond ever falls out. it was something like she will need to have the prongs checked every 6 months otherwise replacement is not covered should it ever fall out.

-theres all different kinds of cuts and sizes of diamonds and furthermore, theyre rated for clarity, etc. and that effects the price of the diamond.

-i really think the best thing to do is to go in there with a set budget in mind and stay away from financing. because its considered a luxury purchase, it will be an exorbitant rate (dude across the aisle from me got an interest rate of 27.9% interest after 6 months - ouch).

-if the ring needs to be sized down, make sure they put the gold back into the band (otherwise theyre just practically stealing gold from you). if you think it may need to be larger, keep in mind you may have to pay get it resized since theyre adding gold. some places offer free resizing either way in their warranties - others dont.

hope that helps and good luck!

I skipped the diamond and went with Fair Trade platinum crafted by a local artist - it's really nice. Look into the provenance of the Diamond, I'll suggest Canadian Diamonds. There is some serious bullshit surrounding the diamond trade and it's worthwhile to take into consideration where they are coming from.

I took my wife into some stores and got an idea of what she wanted. even went so far as to let her pick out the center diamond. then i worked with the jeweler to design the final product, which she didn't see until I proposed. she loved it, it was a combined effort so I didn't have to stress as much about finding the right stone, but still got to surprise her.

i definitely recommend using a local shop if possible, and don't rush into anything. a good jeweler won't pressure you and will work with you until you get exactly what you want.

also, a good shop will offer free cleanings for life, which will involve checking for loose stones. and don't forget to get an appraisal and insurance.

Echo people saying check out other stones. If you know your girl wants a diamond don't try and surprise with something else but there are lots of badass rings with other stones. The setting can make it look all engagement like.

If you it isn't a surprise go together, have a few beers, try some shit on. If it is a surprise bring a friend that is a girl, but not her fucking friend.

As long as you stay out of the mall you can get a jeweler to design of suggest something pretty at any price. I found it to be real easy.

I think my wife may have a tanzanite as well, but could be a tourmaline. It is green, which isn't the most normal color for either stone so I get it confused. They can do any stone in any setting so have them show you some cool colors when you go in. I think the ones that are lighter and clearer look a little more wedding like, but that is just me.

My wife wasent crazy about diamonds but I made her try a few on anyway just to make sure. Easy to say you don't want a diamond but didn't want any remorse.

I skipped the diamond and went with Fair Trade platinum crafted by a local artist - it's really nice. Look into the provenance of the Diamond, I'll suggest Canadian Diamonds. There is some serious bullshit surrounding the diamond trade and it's worthwhile to take into consideration where they are coming from.

canadian diamonds are made from hockey pucks from millions of years ago that have been compressed in the earth for so long they turn into diamonds.  

even if there is no blood there is still all the environmental ish. 

but for real what about getting tattoo rings. 

cheapest and easiest. and permanent. if that doesn't say i love you, what does. and you cant lose them. and you can put a diamond tattooed on it if need be. its a win win. both of you are pale enough where it'll shine through.

Propose with a cheap one and take her to buy the real one. Also, forget whatever budget you're trying to keep to!

NB: taking her and breaking the budget are probably directly linked.

I disagree I took my gf (soon to be fiancé) and actually spent less than expected. Granted we're saving for a house, but still she picked less fancy and extravagant than I was expecting.

-i really think the best thing to do is to go in there with a set budget in mind and stay away from financing. because its considered a luxury purchase, it will be an exorbitant rate (dude across the aisle from me got an interest rate of 27.9% interest after 6 months - ouch).

Why didn't he use his credit card?