CONFESSIONS

My latest film is about the Hemingways and how Mariel (granddaughter) broke the cycle. No doubt there is heredity but with understanding comes the opportunity to control destiny. I like Strummer's sentiment that the Future is Unwritten - might be a bumpier road for some of us though. 

I lost my Aunt to suicide in October. I tried really hard to help save her. I'm still coping with it all. Finishing that documentary was hard.

last bit of eric advice-

for the party scene you speak of, you basically have 2 choices.

1) show up, and converse with people, and stop being miserable. play a drinking game, make a fool of yourself, and laugh with everyone else.

2) don't go at all.

It's not always that easy! Especially when you do finally tell someone that you've been seeing for a little bit what you actually want and have them react badly to it/judge you and then you just feel really weird and soon after your relationship falls apart.

Once I pushed a guy against the wall and put my hand around his neck and told him to stop being so gentle. It did have good results though~

so now i get the schwarzenegger reference. :P

Ive been unemployed for almost a month and a half, but today I got a phone call about a job and have an interview on Tuesday! But now, i'm fucking terrified. I really haven't worked around people I didnt know in 8 years, and now i'm walking in completely blind. How do/did you guys (and gals) handle being "the new guy"?

Coming in at the end of a conversation but in general, the shittier someone's high school experience is the better their adult life is.

I don't want to project what worked for me onto you but I took school really seriously. I was #1 in my class, taking Calculus 3 at the community college when I was 16. Had some friends, wasn't popular. Got a full ride, so I came out of college owing nothing. Got a good job.

Didn't have a drink until I was 19.

Didn't kiss a girl until I was 20.

I'm 26 now and there is almost nothing I would change in my life.

Your view of money is skewed. I think that a lot of the time people who say negative things about money are being defensive about their own life choices. No, you shouldn't do a job that you hate because it pays well. But there is nothing wrong with making money as long as you cool with your job (the majority of people don't love their jobs, you just have to not hate it).

It's a relief to drive a car that you don't have to worry about breaking down all the time. Vegas trips are fun as hell (gotta have a lot of singles for the Spearmint Rhino and the cover is about $30...you'll know one day). You get pride from sending your kids to nice schools. You can get the popcorn when you go to the movies even though it is ridiculous that they charge $8 for a medium. Money just makes a lot of things easier and you can experience more.

At 15, you are right at the time where you should get serious about school. The last couple years of high school are what colleges look at mostly. No one likes doing homework. You just gotta do it. If you aren't happy now, put your head down and build for the future. Do something with computers or be a doc / vet or whatever. Volunteer somewhere to get out. Some of the dudes that party all the time will get their shit together, a lot will be alcoholic nothings. You don't want to be like them (even if it seems that way now).

Ive been unemployed for almost a month and a half, but today I got a phone call about a job and have an interview on Tuesday! But now, i'm fucking terrified. I really haven't worked around people I didnt know in 8 years, and now i'm walking in completely blind. How do/did you guys (and gals) handle being "the new guy"?

Congrats! What's the job?

I don't know if you will have a conventional interview or not but be ready for a behavioral based interview:

http://www.quintcareers.com/sample_behavioral.html

Nothing worse than not being prepared and having to think up answers to those on the spot with a potential employer looking right at you.

And there is nothing to being the new guy. Hardest part is remembering 25 names when you get introduced around the first day. Helps if you can associate them with something ie if someone's name is Jim and that is your next door neighbor's name, try and associate the two in your head so that you can remember easier.

But otherwise just be yourself and it all works out.

Congrats! What's the job?

And there is nothing to being the new guy. Hardest part is remembering 25 names when you get introduced around the first day. Helps if you can associate them with something ie if someone's name is Jim and that is your next door neighbor's name, try and associate the two in your head so that you can remember easier.

Its not my preferred job, but it's a job i'm comfortable with.

Its for a press brake position at a manufacturing/fab shop. To put it simple, I take a flat piece of steel/alum/etc...and bend it to whatever angle/dimension that is specified with a great big machine. Im a very hands on guy, so this works well for me because I get to be creative and have fun.

I just need to get over this social anxiety thats starting to course through my brain.

At 15, you are right at the time where you should get serious about school. The last couple years of high school are what colleges look at mostly. No one likes doing homework. You just gotta do it. If you aren't happy now, put your head down and build for the future. Do something with computers or be a doc / vet or whatever. Volunteer somewhere to get out. Some of the dudes that party all the time will get their shit together, a lot will be alcoholic nothings. You don't want to be like them (even if it seems that way now).

I second anyone telling someone else to be serious about school.  school is cool

eric, you have to remember that we're all human. even the people who seem chipper as all hell all the time probably (hopefully) think and feel depressed, sad, lonely, angry, whatever. find something that's gonna make you happy, go on a hike, i don't know where you are but go for a surf, or skate, just spend some time outdoors, it's what saved me from hating myself and and leading me to hate others around me. its a vicious cycle. anxiety is something i still deal with pretty much on a daily basis, and i think most people are the same it just took me until now (college) to realize that we're all weird and quirky and feel awkward around other people. human interaction is one of the most important things in life, even the stupid stuff, and stop looking down on other people! i don't know if that stems from your perception of yourself or how you think they see you but everybody's just trying to get through the day, and it's nice to have someone to talk to even if you don't have much in common. high school is a tough time, but it's four years of your life. look at the big pictue and you'll realize that's nothin'.

oh and go watch some bill murray. always makes me feel better just cause it's bill murray, the funniest fuckin person on the planet.

Debatable if I should have put this in Man Advice or Confessional.

Hairy butthole.  Whats a man to do?

Shave?  Wax?  Trim? Pretend it will go away?

After the ingenious suggestion from earlier of trim armpit hair I figure input from the group might put my long time dilemma.  (Important tangent - Holy fuck I always have spelled dilemna not dilemma)