I Hate this

Went to one of my local shops today and they got in a used copy of AFI-Sing The Sorrow which I have been looking to get for about the last year without having to pay ebay prices.

This copy they got in was BEAT TO SHIT. I mean the jacket had HUGE creases across the top two corners, the top seam was completely split, dings and gouges, all over it, and about the top 25% of the spine was completely worn down.

Best part....they were asking for 35 bucks for it and their reasoning was it goes for between 50-100 on ebay. I asked if the records were fine and they said "should be, I didnt notice any scratches" I told them with how bad shape the jacket was, I wasnt going to take a 35 dollar risk and told him I would give him 15 for it which he almost laughed off.

I wish you guys could have seen this thing, easily the worst jacket I have ever seen. If its still there next week when I go, I'll take some pictures

sounds lame. there are a lot of shops taking full advantage of the popularity of vinyl right now and it sucks. the only shop near me that has stayed pretty consistent with their used/new record pricing is End Of An Ear. they wouldn't even take a record that damaged. I think I paid $9.99 for a used Euro import of Evil Empire by RATM. then I think they gave me %10 off because I had a long conversation with the dude ringing me up about the Drive OST.

Like isavedlatin said, I hate when Record Stores take advantage of the vinyl hype and gouge prices. It's annoying when they assume younger people like me and my kid brother will be dumb enough to pay 50% more on an album we can get for less elsewhere. What's worse is when they try and justify their prices because of ebay. I have a shop down the street, but never go because it's incredibly disorganized, overpriced, and a bit shady. I stay out of 80% of shops here in North Jersey. Best one I've found is a 30 minute drive, but totally worth it

Now that I think of it, there's a shop in PA that had records I'd been looking for - NIN Pretty Hate Machine OG and With Teeth - 150 for each, not even sealed. Yeah...no

sounds lame. there are a lot of shops taking full advantage of the popularity of vinyl right now and it sucks. the only shop near me that has stayed pretty consistent with their used/new record pricing is End Of An Ear. they wouldn't even take a record that damaged. I think I paid $9.99 for a used Euro import of Evil Empire by RATM. then I think they gave me %10 off because I had a long conversation with the dude ringing me up about the Drive OST.

Yeah this shop is taking advantage of the rising popularity also. Just rubbed me the wrong way with "they're going for 50-100 on ebay" .

Jacket wear doesn't really bother me all that much but I wish I would have sneaked in some pictures. Words can't describe how bad this was haha

Great example of partly why (in my opinion) small record stores are closing. You came in there ready to give them your money for something that was likely going to be difficult to sell for what they wanted for it (given the condition of the jacket) and they refused. If the store thinks they can get 35 for it based on their knowledge of eBay prices, they should test the market and sell it on eBay instead of turning away customers who are ready to give them money.

This is how I separate the "good" shops vs. the "bad" shops, in my mind. Sort of parallels how I feel about good and bad sellers on the board. Pure Pop here in Burlington does a pretty good job of labeling condition and selling their rarer used stock at decent prices. I'm thankful for them. 

I don't really mind a reasonable mark-up, but if all the physical locations are pricing off eBay and Discogs I don't really have as big of a reason to check there in the first place. 

This is how I separate the "good" shops vs. the "bad" shops, in my mind. Sort of parallels how I feel about good and bad sellers on the board. Pure Pop here in Burlington does a pretty good job of labeling condition and selling their rarer used stock at decent prices. I'm thankful for them.

I don't really mind a reasonable mark-up, but if all the physical locations are pricing off eBay and Discogs I don't really have as big of a reason to check there in the first place.

Burlington, Iowa?

Next time start snapping photos with your phone while chuckling to yourself. If they ask what's with the photos say "I write for a blog that specializes in ridiculous record sales and stores."

This tactic also works well when someone is freaking out on you in traffic. Even if you're not actually taking photo or video it will infuriate the living shit out of them.

I don't see how the shop owner was being unreasonable.  He was basing a price off of something tangible; prior selling prices of said merchandise.  He then took into account the damage of said record, thus lowering the price.  If this were anything but a record would it have settled with you in such a negative way?  If you go to a used instrument store, they are going to price a used guitar based on selling price vs wear and tear on the guitar.  If the record played well, and you purchased it for much less than an internet copy, why the complaint?

Guest realtalk

I don't see how the shop owner was being unreasonable. He was basing a price off of something tangible; prior selling prices of said merchandise. He then took into account the damage of said record, thus lowering the price. If this were anything but a record would it have settled with you in such a negative way? If you go to a used instrument store, they are going to price a used guitar based on selling price vs wear and tear on the guitar. If the record played well, and you purchased it for much less than an internet copy, why the complaint?

This.

+

So don't buy it! ;)

I don't see how the shop owner was being unreasonable.  He was basing a price off of something tangible; prior selling prices of said merchandise.  He then took into account the damage of said record, thus lowering the price.  If this were anything but a record would it have settled with you in such a negative way?  If you go to a used instrument store, they are going to price a used guitar based on selling price vs wear and tear on the guitar.  If the record played well, and you purchased it for much less than an internet copy, why the complaint?

holy hell. somebody gets it. Huzzah to this fella