Afford all the new records you want

When it comes to buying vinyl I'm a fool. I spend just about all my spare money on records and then I cant keep up with the new pre-orders and other music I come across and want to buy.

Does anyone have a saving system of how to get their weekly/monthly fix of vinyl? Looking for the response of a more responsible adult.

There are a million snarky things that I could say - that many others will, of course - but I personally insist that the most beneficial practice comes with age.  Being responsible about your purchases, and capable of balancing a checkbook.  I get the impression you're a young'un, but I could be wrong.

You could try auto-transfers with your bank.  Make an account separate from your checking account [or just use your savings account], and establish a set amount of money to transfer from your checking, every month.  I do this in case I get a little spend-happy: a huge chunk of every paycheck goes straight into a separate account designated just to pay off bills.  You could do the same thing, just use that "bills" account for records.  [sidebar: I envy that kind of freedom.]  All of this is assuming you work and earn money.  If that's a false assumption, I'd strongly suggest getting a job before scratching your vinyl itch any further.

There are a million snarky things that I could say - that many others will, of course - but I'd say the most beneficial practice comes with age.  Being responsible about your purchases, and capable of balancing a checkbook.  I get the impression you're a young'un, but I could be wrong.

19, in college, small disposable income.

I have a card with a $500 limit.  I usually use this for all of my record/eating out/other entertainment purchases.  Every two weeks I pay this off when I get my paycheck.  I NEVER go over this. It seems to help when I tell myself I only have that much to spend every paycheck, and it allows me to save the extra too.

For the most part, I haven't been spending money on vinyl outside of what I make on eBay from sales of records/other assorted things.  So I don't spend much, if any, out of my actual paycheck on records.

Thats what i do, I buy and sell stuff from goodwill on ebay and pay out of my paypal. maybe I should just do more of that

Until I recently I lived in Japan since you were 12. It's a cash based society with coins of $1 and $5 worth. The cheapest bill is about $10.

I would save all my change in jars until they added up to $1000. That funded me pretty well.

However, here in the States, this is not easy to do because 1, I never use cash, 2 quarters don't add up so quickly.

The other option is to sell the records you favor least. In Japan where used vinyl is cheap and easy to come by, I would buy a lot of used stuff and sell the stuff I didn't like online. Another thing I did was constantly buy my favorite records over, upgrading the condition and then selling my lesser copies. Unfortunately, there are no stores with a nice used selection for good prices where I live.

So I'm in the same boat as you.

I sell on Discogs.

Also, I'd say that smart buys are essential.  I rambled about this not too long ago, but doing a little extra digging and knowing where to look is critical.  Whether you save $3.00 or $30, the savings add up quick.

I check so many websites before i buy a record and my local shops, one shop will be $16, other will be 10.

Within the last year I've become a lot more responsible when it comes to buying any form of physical media, whether it be records, blu-rays, or books.  I have to ask myself if it is something that I'm actually going to get use out of.  Years ago I would buy things based on the fact that I liked it just a little bit, but would get zero use out of it in the long run.  I sold off all the records that I didn't listen to on a regular basis and others that I had multiple variants of.  My bank account likes this, and it makes me really value every record that I do own.  

Graduate and make $$ :D

What I do in college though is pay my bills 4months in advance, so all the money I pull in during these 4 months can be used for anything I desire. Even better I stopped going out and drinking (for the most part.) Depending on your job/summer work this works out quite well, but then again I work for a bank/financial firm full time and flip stocks that I have accumulated since I opened the account when I was 18.

Form a relationship with a local shop. Most brick and mortars are struggling and really appreciate the business of regulars. So much so that they sometimes offer a discount to ppl who regularly buy a decent amount. I'm all about relationships and my local shop owner is a badass. He orders me what I want that he doesn't have on hand, constantly turns me on to awesome music I would never hear otherwise, and throws me a 10-15% discount depending on what I'm buying. Don't expect a huge discount on brand new high demand releases, but used stuff you can get awesome deals. Plus there's something magical about a good record shop.

I can echo some of the stuff here. Buy the things you really love and want. Let the things you kind of want go. Also always try to look on various sites for deals and coupons.

One album you love might set you back with cost + shipping

5 albums you kind of like + having to get that one album you love + shipping on all of those can set you back a ton. I always just think buy what I really want and let the other stuff go. You just never know when something you love will pop up and it's good to have the money on tap.

I don't think anyone can afford all the new records they want. We'll some people can but as far as most people we're just not going to get all the records we want every month or all the time. As far as your question about budgeting I'm only 24 and although I've never been buried in debt but I'm still figuring out a healthy way to go about it myself. I even bring it up to my therapist like dave I got a spending problem I like records and good food I don't want to give up either. I think its crazy how no other product has the power that records have over me as far as spending goes. I do believe your buying something more and timeless or something when you buy music so maybe thats what it is but nothing else really has that power to make me reach into my pockets that quickly which is a good thing because I'm not hoarding or stockpiling up on cases of soda or anything like that.