Green Day - American Idiot 2xLP red/black swirl Hot Topic exclusive

Eh agree to disagree on this one. The difference is that is to be expected now for every sale. I am just choosing where to shop based on which service offers the best prices and customer service. I am surprised it is causing so much confusion but w/e. I am not attacking Travis at all. I just find it odd that a company wants to exclude a section on every sale. Its not just some. It turns me from even wanting to buy full price items which I have quite a few times. Most places mix up their sales. Shoppers build loyalty in general and not just in terms of points. I love when I get random discounts from distros every once and a while even if I normally shop their full price. I always considered HT to be a bit high end prices but at least pack records well and get them out fast. I still respect the company as a whole but I am just saying that I personally feel no drive to shop there anymore. As small of a percentage as vinyl and cd sales are to HT it must of been an issue that some people bought things on sale. There are tons of places to shop though. Just bought American Idiot while thinking about it from Amazon because it was a good price.

Whats to agree or disagree about? Any company has the right to exclude items for any sale at any time. Theres nothing to agree about. You do have a right not to shop with them.

Whats to agree or disagree about? Any company has the right to exclude items for any sale at any time. Theres nothing to agree about. You do have a right not to shop with them.

Fair enough. I still hold my opinion but I do agree with you. They have have the right to exclude items and I have the right not to shop. I was just pointing out that despite all the regular business I have given HT (not just on sale days) its what makes me make that decision. Sucks people just call it entitlement when anyone would do that with just about any store but w/e. They still have good products and shipping so one lost customer does not mean anything. 

HT has a customer loyalty program, the HT+1 cards. You rack up points by buying stuff from HT and then you can use those points as a discount when you get enough and you can still buy vinyl with those HT+1 discounts. Pretty sure thats exactly how Best Buy works.

Less than stellar products? Yes 2 album covers were pixelated. The last one, Finch, I was out at SXSW when those came in and were sent out to stores so I had no idea until I saw people posting here about it and it was too late. I dont press these records, HT is not a label. I tell Universal what I want and they press them and I buy them for HT. I dont feel anyone is being treated poorly in any way at all here. I think people on this board just feel a sense of entitlement towards getting insane discounts on vinyl. Is there some other place thats doing crazy discounts on vinyl that I'm not aware of? Just because HT did BOGO 50% and Hot Cash for a while and included vinyl in that people apparently feel entitled to that forever now. I dont see how HT is treating anyone anymore unfairly than any other retailer selling vinyl. You're not getting "pushed around" just cause you have to pay full price for records.

Customer loyalty points were only half of what I was talking about. The other half was talking about how Amazon and Best Buy both still include vinyl in their deals (like free shipping, sales, etc...). They don't say everything free shipping - oh except vinyl because we need to stop those flippers!

Your justification of Hot Topic putting out less than stellar products people paid nearly $30 for (myself included in those people) is simply: sorry dude we don't quality check I was at SXSW checking out some music and was too busy (and not one other single employee in our entire company can be bothered to check the quality). Oh and we also can't ask the company pressing these for a single update or a look at anything before they produce the mass amount we are exclusively selling and buying for our store. I'm sure Hibbet or Foot Locker would be cool with selling their exclusive Nikes that were spelled Kiens with an upside down swoosh.

I'm wondering if Company Ink, Collective Confusion, Enjoy The Ride, etc... care so little about the product they are selling they don't quality check it? Oh that's right they do care and make sure their buyers are getting a quality record.

You've come here for a long time saying stuff like "Hot Topic's vinyl sales it's such a small part of our company, our employees don't know this or that because of it, etc..."  So yeah I agree you guys don't seem to know a lot about how your exclusives will look, sound, etc... How can you defend putting products out when you have no clue how they look or sound. I didn't say you were a label. I said you okayed less than stellar products. Which you did. You've excluded or flat out deleted vinyl from your sales periods. Deleted vinyl to where no person could buy it for sale (or regular price) for an entire sales period, yet you say you haven't pushed around vinyl customers.

Hey you don't have to agree with what I say. I don't really care. I have no problem with you at all. I want you to know anything I post is not a personal attack on you. You are an employee and you seem like an alright guy for the most part. I don't even know if you have any say over how vinyl sales work past the point of trying to get things pressed. I'm more so talking about the company you work for and how it does its business. At the end of the day Hot Topic can exclude whatever they want at whatever time they want. Just don't expect vinyl customers not to be sitting around scratching their head and wondering why am I the only one excluded from BOGO, Hot Cash, 25-30% off site sales? After years of Hot Topic rewarding us now why are they demonizing a chunk of their customers and saying those who bought vinyl on sales periods were flippers and now nobody gets any? I mean I'm sure people flip all of your products on ebay, etc... I also know for a fact vinyl customers weren't the only people abusing your codes. People abused them for every product your store offers (I know this for a fact because I've heard people say they do it). Yet those people are still included in your sales and the vinyl customer is penalized.

I'm not taking anything on this board personally, believe me. I don't think vinyl has ever been excluded on any free shipping deals on the site. Stores literally run sales on specific products or groups of products every single day. You're mad because HT is excluding the one thing you specifically want to buy.

I'm not justifying the cover of the Finch album and saying its good. Universal obviously messed that up pretty bad. I'm simply explaining what happened. Generally I see these things before they get to stores. I talked to Universal about this and expressed to them how this is obviously not ok and that this can't happen with any of their vinyl that we carry.

I'm not here to argue with anyone, just here to let you guys know what happened. You can all think whatever you want.

I'm not taking anything on this board personally, believe me. I don't think vinyl has ever been excluded on any free shipping deals on the site. Stores literally run sales on specific products or groups of products every single day. You're mad because HT is excluding the one thing you specifically want to buy.

I'm not justifying the cover of the Finch album and saying its good. Universal obviously messed that up pretty bad. I'm simply explaining what happened. Generally I see these things before they get to stores. I talked to Universal about this and expressed to them how this is obviously not ok and that this can't happen with any of their vinyl that we carry.

I'm not here to argue with anyone, just here to let you guys know what happened. You can all think whatever you want.

If that's all you take away from everything I said I have no clue why I even bothered to post it. I said it was fine to include or not include any products in sales. I was merely showing you how Hot Topic has pushed around their vinyl customers as of lately. Considering all of these recent sale cuts and deleting the entire section during sales periods on vinyl has only happened recently and not over the years makes it a super suspicious subject around these parts. Hot Topic can do whatever it wants but penalizing a group of people and demonizing a whole group is unfair to the vast majority. Hot Topic said no more vinyl sales due to flippers, not me. That's punishing and "pushing" around a whole group of people over a few rotten apples. I think it's fine to exclude certain items for sale (I'm not disputing that). Flipping was the reason Hot Topic gave. A penalty to all vinyl customers for a few people and their poor actions. So yeah in my opinion (which may be worth nothing to a lot of people) it is mistreating people.

The second bolded piece of your response is ironic for you to say as you admit in this very thread you haven't seen or heard the Green Day press and seem to know very little about it beyond your assumptions and it is out in around 10 days. Play politician and throw Universal under the bus. It's fine with me. They are mostly responsible and derserve it for sure. Hot Topic is also responsible for a large part of putting a product out that is below standards at a standard retail price and then expecting people to pay a standard price for a messed up item. Collective Confusion recently offered their repress of Cassino at a discount price due to labels being smeared (they quality checked and knew first hand that something wasn't right so they didn't ask full price for the item). Hot Topic on the other hand didn't seem to care.

You are the only person from Hot Topic I can actually talk to that has major impact. I post stuff like this as a customer hoping it will make somewhat of a difference in the long run. You may not care, Hot Topic may not care, but I feel someone from Hot Topic needs to know and be aware of the grievances of their customers (in this case me). Thanks for listening, responding, and almost always being a farely cool guy to talk to on these boards. 

blah blah blah we hate hot topic blah blah blah we'll still secretly buy the records blah blah blah the end. honestly HT has put out some cool stuff regardless of whether its at a discount or not. i commend you travis for making that stuff happen and also im looking forward to the (rumored) infinity on high repress.

blah blah blah we hate hot topic blah blah blah we'll still secretly buy the records blah blah blah the end. honestly HT has put out some cool stuff regardless of whether its at a discount or not. i commend you travis for making that stuff happen and also im looking forward to the (rumored) infinity on high repress.

If that's all you take away from everything I said I have no clue why I even bothered to post it. I said it was fine to include or not include any products in sales. I was merely showing you how Hot Topic has pushed around their vinyl customers as of lately. Considering all of these recent sale cuts and deleting the entire section during sales periods on vinyl has only happened recently and not over the years makes it a super suspicious subject around these parts. Hot Topic can do whatever it wants but penalizing a group of people and demonizing a whole group is unfair to the vast majority. Hot Topic said no more vinyl sales due to flippers, not me. That's punishing and "pushing" around a whole group of people over a few rotten apples. I think it's fine to exclude certain items for sale (I'm not disputing that). Flipping was the reason Hot Topic gave. A penalty to all vinyl customers for a few people and their poor actions. So yeah in my opinion (which may be worth nothing to a lot of people) it is mistreating people.

The second bolded piece of your response is ironic for you to say as you admit in this very thread you haven't seen or heard the Green Day press and seem to know very little about it beyond your assumptions and it is out in around 10 days. Play politician and throw Universal under the bus. It's fine with me. They are mostly responsible and derserve it for sure. Hot Topic is also responsible for a large part of putting a product out that is below standards at a standard retail price and then expecting people to pay a standard price for a messed up item. Collective Confusion recently offered their repress of Cassino at a discount price due to labels being smeared (they quality checked and knew first hand that something wasn't right so they didn't ask full price for the item). Hot Topic on the other hand didn't seem to care.

You are the only person from Hot Topic I can actually talk to that has major impact. I post stuff like this as a customer hoping it will make somewhat of a difference in the long run. You may not care, Hot Topic may not care, but I feel someone from Hot Topic needs to know and be aware of the grievances of their customers (in this case me). Thanks for listening, responding, and almost always being a farely cool guy to talk to on these boards.

You just don't get it. Not even a little bit.

How many discounts did people get from Amazon over the fucked up major label Smashing Pumpkins reissue that was produced for them? None (excluding the Canadian discount error). Did anyone quality check that before it got into our hands? Nope. Did we bitch at the guy who did the mastering? Did we yell at Billy Corgan? Yep!

Did anyone call Amazon and yell at them for putting the product out into the world? No. Some returned their item for a discount, because that is common sense.

HT is not a label any more than Amazon is. Just because Travis has a face here doesn't mean that he has the same role as Ross from ETR, etc.

You just don't get it. Not even a little bit.

How many discounts did people get from Amazon over the fucked up major label Smashing Pumpkins reissue that was produced for them? None (excluding the Canadian discount error). Did anyone quality check that before it got into our hands? Nope. Did we bitch at the guy who did the mastering? Did we yell at Billy Corgan? Yep!

Did anyone call Amazon and yell at them for putting the product out into the world? No. Some returned their item for a discount, because that is common sense.

HT is not a label any more than Amazon is. Just because Travis has a face here doesn't mean that he has the same role as Ross from ETR, etc.

Dude I do get it. I think if you read everything I said you'd see I acknowledged they weren't a label. I know Travis probably doesn't have the same role as Ross...I acknowledged that as well (I know he's an employee of a major company). I also said I blame the company that pressed it and hold them mostly responsible. I mean disagree with me entirely I'm 100% cool with it. Quality control was about 1/3 of what I was talking about. Travis responded to me on here basically saying Hot Topic pushes around nobody, etc... I have the right to say why I think they do. Right or wrong for me to say my peice - may be wrong in your eyes. That is your opinion and I'm 100% cool with that.

I'm not super familiar with all the hoopla around the pumpkins press. I will say it was reported that Amazon pulled it from their store after the quality issue was found. You can read that here:

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/board_new/index.php?showtopic=21803

I've said my piece. Like I said right, wrong, or whatever. I'm going to go to another thread and talk about what really matters well pressed good records that sound good.

0dwEGXu.jpeg

Let's cut the fluff.

Hot Topic is a sucky mall store.

Travis doesn't given a fuck, he's just trying to pay his bills and get faded at SXSW.

VC ruined all the sales forever hahaha.

Billy Joe is fucking Justin Bieber.

You guys should spend your $27.99 on a local show/touring band's t-shirt instead and you know it.

Get back on topic or I'm going to truck each and everyone of youse grandmothers with a Greenday skate deck then ollie over their heart pills!

I'm late to the fun good time drama in this thread.

I'll admit that now that Hot Topic isn't including Vinyl in its major sales I most likely won't shop their anymore.  Not a shocking development.  This has nothing to do with quality of pressing it has to do with the only reason I was shopping their was to get crazy deals on shit.  In fact most of the time it was stuff I never would have bought, but I was sucked into the whole its so cheap how can I not buy it trap.  To be totally honest the last BOGO1/2 + 50% off sale I ordered a reasonably large amount of records to flip.  ($150 worth or so)  Not something I feel entitled to, just to tempting of an option.

So the only reason in the past I could justify ordering from Hot Topic was to get records for way cheaper than smaller local stores or smaller distros.  Now that all single LPs at HT are $20 I won't have any reason to purchase anything from there. 

This isn't a rant about how HT owes me cheap ass vinyl, it's more an explanation that I am basically the exact type of guy who necessitated the change in sale policies at HT.  I don't purchase other things when ordering at HT, so it's not like selling vinyl at a loss / at cost isn bringing them a new customer to the store.  I do buy clearance rack belts at HT also so I guess there clearance rack belt sales might drop now too.

0dwEGXu.jpeg

Let's cut the fluff.

Hot Topic is a sucky mall store.

Travis doesn't given a fuck, he's just trying to pay his bills and get faded at SXSW.

VC ruined all the sales forever hahaha.

Billy Joe is fucking Justin Bieber.

You guys should spend your $27.99 on a local show/touring band's t-shirt instead and you know it.

Get back on topic or I'm going to truck each and everyone of youse grandmothers with a Greenday skate deck then ollie over their heart pills!

It's Billie Joe, not Billy Joe