Po: Jimmy Eat World - damage

just PO'd this from amazon. snagged a copy of chase this light while i was at it too.

now all i need is futures and invented and i'll be gold.

honestly not even that interested in invented, but the completest in me tells me i should.

Yeah I got invented just for the OCD aspect of my JEW set.  It sounds like a cd rip.

Probably the same score they gave to Fallout Boy for their new heap of shit.

Having said that, I hope they are right. I love JEW.

The new FOB got 4 stars from AP (although I didn't write that review; I would've given it a much lower score).

I have reviewed every JEW album since Futures for AP, and this one definitely is better than the last two—I think its highs are on par with Futures' highs and its lows aren't nearly as low as Futures' lows ("Drugs Or Me" and "Pain" have aged sooooo poorly). I'll probably look back in a year or so and wish I gave the record 4 stars instead of 4.5, but I'm really hyped on it and I haven't felt that way about a JEW record in a decade.

The new FOB got 4 stars from AP (although I didn't write that review; I would've given it a much lower score).

I have reviewed every JEW album since Futures for AP, and this one definitely is better than the last two—I think its highs are on par with Futures' highs and its lows aren't nearly as low as Futures' lows ("Drugs Or Me" and "Pain" have ages sooooo poorly). I'll probably look back in a year or so and wish I gave the record 4 stars instead of 4.5, but I'm really hyped on it and I haven't felt that way about a JEW record in a decade.

Really excited to hear it if people think its better than Chase This Light. I honestly find that be better than Futures but feel this is the most consistently solid band around.

I have reviewed every JEW album since Futures for AP, and this one definitely is better than the last two—I think its highs are on par with Futures' highs and its lows aren't nearly as low as Futures' lows ("Drugs Or Me" and "Pain" have ages sooooo poorly). I'll probably look back in a year or so and wish I gave the record 4 stars instead of 4.5, but I'm really hyped on it and I haven't felt that way about a JEW record in a decade.

What format was the album you were able to review? CD, digital or vinyl? I ask because you remark on the fact that it was recorded to tape and that the sound quality is fantastic, yet that's been my biggest concern about this album. The song writing and arrangements seem tight and really on point, but the mixing/mastering of the digital releases thus far has been pretty horrid. Very muddled. Hoping that this isn't indicative of the sound quality on vinyl release.

I couldn't have put this better myself, though I love "Pain."

Awesome! I'm so excited for this, I can't wait to hear it.

What format was the album you were able to review? CD, digital or vinyl? I ask because you remark on the fact that it was recorded to tape and that the sound quality is fantastic, yet that's been my biggest concern about this album. The song writing and arrangements seem tight and really on point, but the mixing/mastering of the digital releases thus far has been pretty horrid. Very muddled. Hoping that this isn't indicative of the sound quality on vinyl release.

I was sent an advance CD.

I have reviewed every JEW album since Futures for AP, and this one definitely is better than the last two—I think its highs are on par with Futures' highs and its lows aren't nearly as low as Futures' lows ("Drugs Or Me" and "Pain" have aged sooooo poorly). I'll probably look back in a year or so and wish I gave the record 4 stars instead of 4.5, but I'm really hyped on it and I haven't felt that way about a JEW record in a decade.

chase this light was 100x better than futures IMO, and invented was a total flop with the exception of maybe 3 songs.

is anyone else playing this new twitter streaming game they have going?

songs are locked until specific amounts of hashtags are tweeted?

the opening track is available now and is pretty decent, listened about 4 times now and it's already better than the other 2 songs that have been available.

chase this light was 100x better than futures IMO, and invented was a total flop with the exception of maybe 3 songs.

the opening track is available now and is pretty decent, listened about 4 times now and it's already better than the other 2 songs that have been available.

I enjoyed both Chase This Light and Invented but Invented took a lot longer to get into. Invented was a lot less creative but it was a really fun album after it grew on me. Chase This Light though is still one of my favorites. I like their prior work but Chase This Light is a such a great album.

I saw something about it on Twitter late last night but I decided I want to wait to hear the whole album once it's released.

I really like this album. I seem to be one of few on this site that actually liked Invented It took longer to grow on me but once it did I found it really fun to listen to driving back from work. This album is a solid mix the best parts of Futures and Chase This Light while keeping the pacing of Invented. 

For this I would say its definitely better than Invented and possibly better than Futures. It is up there with Chase This Light. I will have to hear it in higher quality but I love the flow and attitude of the album. 

I've been fighting with myself all day, whether or not to listen to the album stream or not, since I want to wait to have the record in front of me to officially listen to it. Though, of what I've heard I haven't been impressed; with "Damage," "I Will Steal You Back," and "Appreciation."  I'm hoping this will be a departure from Invented, yet it seems they're continuing with that sound. 

I've been fighting with myself all day, whether or not to listen to the album stream or not, since I want to wait to have the record in front of me to officially listen to it. Though, of what I've heard I haven't been impressed; with "Damage," "I Will Steal You Back," and "Appreciation."  I'm hoping this will be a departure from Invented, yet it seems they're continuing with that sound. 

Those songs are by far the weakest on the album. It's pretty solid, though I don't know, why people compare it to Futures. It's more like Chase This Light, but with a better production.

Those songs are by far the weakest on the album. It's pretty solid, though I don't know, why people compare it to Futures. It's more like Chase This Light, but with a better production.

I get the Chase This Light comparison but I feel that album had better production imo. This album is solid and I honestly don't know where it ranks for me. Its another Jimmy Eat World album so eventually I will have favorites from it that I wanna see live and have an ideal time to listen to it but at the same time I knew what to expect. Jimmy Eat World are one of my favorite bands and I like their slower stuff for the most part as that is what they really have done best over the years. The futures comparison comes from the mood of the album as its not even close to as hopeful as Chase This Light was. This album seems to be a continuation of Invented with better flow and cohesiveness. The mood seems to be more futures-esq but sound wise its somewhere between Chase This Light and Invented. I  think the album is solid and even if I would've wanted more I can't hate it. They delivered a very solid cohesive album with the band's core sound I have come to love. If nothing else I bet some of these new songs will sound good live.

So Far "Please Say No" and "How'd You Have Me" are standing out.