Fuckin' USPS' Network Distribution Centers: the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

1546006_10152551081258076_65589634500663

I was the sender in a trade. The package had 2 double LPs. Each record was placed outside the gatefold, on either side, and slipped into a 12x12 bubblewrap sleeve made specifically for records. Each sleeve also had a sturdy 12x12 cardboard sheet in them as well. So in addition to 4 layes of bubble wrap and 2 sheets of cardboard, i slipped in more cardboard protection and used a sturdy 13x13x1.5 record mailer. On top of that I shipped it priority to an address one hour away from me and they still managed to destroy the record.

I got a package in the mail the other day and the corner was a little bent. As I was opening it, I saw my mailman had scribbled on the back near the damage, "I received it like this, sorry. Hope it's okay." I've bragged about him in this thread before, but seriously, if that isn't the nicest thing. Didn't even think about taking a picture, would have posted it here. Needs a little positivity every now and again. Wish all you guys could have my mailman.

I got a package in the mail the other day and the corner was a little bent. As I was opening it, I saw my mailman had scribbled on the back near the damage, "I received it like this, sorry. Hope it's okay." I've bragged about him in this thread before, but seriously, if that isn't the nicest thing. Didn't even think about taking a picture, would have posted it here. Needs a little positivity every now and again. Wish all you guys could have my mailman.

I hear that. My mailman at work is an awesome dude. My mailman at my apartment...not so much.

I get all my records sent to a PO Box because it's not practical to have them sent to my house for a myriad of reasons(always home late, erratic weather, nosy neighbors), but every single employee at my local post office is great.  I'm in there nearly every day and know each one of them quite well.  I guess I'm the only person to ever deal with records, so they're always happy to help me/curious.  I feel extremely lucky, as they've gone above and beyond for me on a few occasions.  

I get all my records sent to a PO Box because it's not practical to have them sent to my house for a myriad of reasons(always home late, erratic weather, nosy neighbors), but every single employee at my local post office is great.  I'm in there nearly every day and know each one of them quite well.  I guess I'm the only person to ever deal with records, so they're always happy to help me/curious.  I feel extremely lucky, as they've gone above and beyond for me on a few occasions.  

How much does a PO box cost?

our mail lady is awesome! big time gift card her every Christmas, however, when the guy is on duty, I am sure he tees up the vinyl mailer on edge and kicks it from the curb to the porch - for soccer or field goal practice.

to the title of the thread, I love when things come in through Capitol Heights, MD distribution center. (live in Virginia, 98% of the time delivered the next day).  Bell Gardens, CA has to be the Bermuda Triangle of USPS distriubtion centers.

Basically how I feel about the Jersey City USPS facility. Seriously it either sits there for a week or ends up in Oregon. I remember waiting like 3 weeks to get a Converge record from Massachusetts 

The Jersey City one is the Bell Gardens of the east coast.

I think my mom was stealing $64 a year from me...what a bitch.

They have different size boxes you can rent, at varying prices, so maybe your mom's not quite a bitch.

I got the cheapest/smallest one available. It doesn't matter the size, because when I get a record, they throw a key in the box which opens up a locker. Perfect.

Hahaha I HATE when I see a package go to Bell Gardens or Valley Springs

The last record I sent you, I wrote "I'm a frisbee!" and drew a doodle of a hand tossing the mailer, but unfortunately that part was covered by the shipping label (which I placed to cover the "not" in "please do not bend").

Still waiting for my $0.75, Permy.

They have different size boxes you can rent, at varying prices, so maybe your mom's not quite a bitch.

I got the cheapest/smallest one available. It doesn't matter the size, because when I get a record, they throw a key in the box which opens up a locker. Perfect.

Yeah I know. I'm just kidding anyway. I do know we paid 120 for one the size of a reg curbside mailbox, but I doubt I ever ACTUALLY paid her anything when I was 18 or 19.

Also I second/ third the Jersey City one, too. It's a vacuous hole. I've had records come south from Albany to Jersey City, then North to CT. It's like having a layover in Anchorage before reaching your final destination in Mexico City.

This is how bad the USPS is in general: I work for the VA (veteran's affairs) and when we ship files or whatever else, we use UPS, EVEN THOUGH there is a postal service funded by the same entity (the US government/ taxpayers/ you). So, we spend tax dollars on a private corporation that could easily be replaced by a federal organization, but isn't because it is so awful.