Fuckin' USPS' Network Distribution Centers: the thread.

Yeah I know. I'm just kidding anyway. I do know we paid 120 for one the size of a reg curbside mailbox, but I doubt I ever ACTUALLY paid her anything when I was 18 or 19.

Also I second/ third the Jersey City one, too. It's a vacuous hole. I've had records come south from Albany to Jersey City, then North to CT. It's like having a layover in Anchorage before reaching your final destination in Mexico City.

This is how bad the USPS is in general: I work for the VA (veteran's affairs) and when we ship files or whatever else, we use UPS, EVEN THOUGH there is a postal service funded by the same entity (the US government/ taxpayers/ you). So, we spend tax dollars on a private corporation that could easily be replaced by a federal organization, but isn't because it is so awful.

Don't even get me started with the V.A.

(though I'm sure you're a lovely person.)

Don't even get me started with the V.A.

(though I'm sure you're a lovely person.)

I have my moments, but mostly I work here because I am a veteran and they pay decent. I try my best to be awesome to every other vet I talk to. I swear, I've bummed more smokes in the 2 years I've worked here than the whole time I was in the service.

yes, the VA can suck big balls at times, but for the most part everyone in CT is lucky to have the VA that we do. Other places not so much.

I have my moments, but mostly I work here because I am a veteran and they pay decent. I try my best to be awesome to every other vet I talk to. I swear, I've bummed more smokes in the 2 years I've worked here than the whole time I was in the service.

yes, the VA can suck big balls at times, but for the most part everyone in CT is lucky to have the VA that we do. Other places not so much.

Nah, it's not usually you guys I have a problem with. Getting a VA doctor to sign a death certificate, on the other hand, is like pulling teeth more often than not.

Oh bummer. Well, I hope your experiences with the VA improve. More importantly, here's to hoping the USPS gets there shit together or FINALLY DOES go bankrupt and close. Because they suck. Balls. If only UPS or FedEx would come to my house, I'd be set.

Me too!

If the USPS went bankrupt I think it would mess mail stuff up more than anyone expects...

When you have a PO box do thy normally fill it with your mail first thing in the morning or is it just some random time through the day?

I used to get my mail at 9:30am which was perfect. Now it's almost 5-6pm. I don't want my records sitting in the hot usps van for that long

Maybe a PO box is the answer

They're usually up by noon.  I'd say the average window is anywhere from 10:30 - 1:00pm.  I've absolutely loved having a PO box.  When I'm not getting home until 7pm, or there's a storm rolling through, I know where my records will be, and I'll be able to get them that evening.  Best case if I had them delivered to my home is I get a 'you've got a package' pink slip which I can't do anything about until the following afternoon.

Me too!

If the USPS went bankrupt I think it would mess mail stuff up more than anyone expects...

Absolutely, People that think if fedex or UPS took over and did all the stuff that the USPS does that it would be a lot better are oblivious. No matter who or what company is delivering mail/packages/whatever, there are going to be the same exact problems and issues with them that there are with USPS.

When you have a PO box do thy normally fill it with your mail first thing in the morning or is it just some random time through the day?

I used to get my mail at 9:30am which was perfect. Now it's almost 5-6pm. I don't want my records sitting in the hot usps van for that long

Maybe a PO box is the answer

In my office, it is required to have the box section done before the window opens which is 9 on weekdays and 930 on Saturday. I'm not 100% sure but I believe that all offices should have it done before their window opens for business

Absolutely, People that think if fedex or UPS took over and did all the stuff that the USPS does that it would be a lot better are oblivious. No matter who or what company is delivering mail/packages/whatever, there are going to be the same exact problems and issues with them that there are with USPS.

In my office, it is required to have the box section done before the window opens which is 9 on weekdays and 930 on Saturday. I'm not 100% sure but I believe that all offices should have it done before their window opens for business

Yeah, I've honestly had fewer problems with the USPS than with any other carrier. UPS always dicks me up and down, FedEx had a package on a truck to deliver (two days later than it was supposed to arrive) on Christmas Eve one year, and the motherfucker turned around and went home without delivering it because they decided they were done for the day.

Not mine.  There's a big sign above the boxes saying 'PO Boxes Up by 11:30 M-F, 12:00 SAT.  Of course everyone on this beach is high, so nothing ever gets done on time/consistently.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Postman dropped off two packages yesterday, sandwiched in between them was a cd mailer that was supposed to go to the UK (from NY).

So basically somewhere along the system this cd has stuck to my vinyl from the US, traveled to Adelaide, Aus, got sandwiched between my vinyl and another package from the UK, and delivered to my door.

Going to send it to the guy in the UK this week with a little note describing its travels.

I ordered an album from Amazon or something so it used those fold over type mailers instead of a box mailer and another package got stuck in the middle. It was a movie from Disney stamped Return to Sender and I opened it before noticing that. I can't remember what the movie was, but it cost someone $19.99 + shipping. Honestly, I can't believe someone thought they were packaged together.

truth be told, i have never one had a bad experience with USPS, or any sorting facility. At my old place, I had an LP from the UK come, and my post man left me the pink slip and saw it when I got home. About a half hour later there was a knock on my door and it was him! He said "Hey man, this came a long way and I didn't see you home. But since I'm here and saw your car I thought I'd try you again."

Best postal worker ever. Also. When it would rain, he would leave packages at the back door between the screen door and the actual door. I miss him.

I ordered an album from Amazon or something so it used those fold over type mailers instead of a box mailer and another package got stuck in the middle. It was a movie from Disney stamped Return to Sender and I opened it before noticing that. I can't remember what the movie was, but it cost someone $19.99 + shipping. Honestly, I can't believe someone thought they were packaged together.

You can send it back to Amazon for free. They'll give a UPS label you can print out.

I had this happen once with an Amazon mailer. When I opened it up there was an 8.5"x11" mailer sandwiched in there filled with paperwork. It was addressed to an office in downtown SLC, so I found a phone number and called their office. They had someone come pick it up right away. They're lucky it wasn't too far away.