Fuckin' USPS' Network Distribution Centers: the thread.

Rather than start a fuckin' Royal Mail thread, I'm putting this here:

Someone (not our usual postie who we know to chat to) tried to put a stiff cardboard envelope (with a 7" in it) through our letterbox this morning. It was slightly too big, so he tried to force it. This pushed the inside of the letterbox (screwed into the inside of the door) out of the door and put a crack nearly 2 inches long in the door. My gf shouted for him to stop and managed to get the door open and take it from him before he damaged the envelope, but he retreated rapidly and was off in his van before I could put something on my feet and chase after him.

It has occured to me whilst writing this - do you have letterboxes like us in the USA (holes in the door with flaps)? I've never seen one in any TV show or film I've seen.

Update:

Three days and rounds and rounds of calls to everyone and anyone and I now have my perma-hold lifted. Had a very pleasant woman at Consumer Affairs help me and can't say anything but kind words about the way she helped me resolve it. It took a while to get to this point but I got the outcome I desired despite being previously yelled at and told this would never be lifted.

As to the package: They told me that I had to deal with Polyvinyl even though they confirmed it was the USPS sorting machine that ate the thing up. No insurance = no compensation even though they admitted fault. I can live with this. I'm probably only content because I was so frustrated over the perma-hold. I plan to write Polyvinyl and let them know that large packages apparently don't fit the sorting machine right. This is not their fault, I opted for media mail and now I live with it. Doesn't change that the USPS messed it up and that sucks. I still haven't opened it but now that this is resolved tonight is the time to find out how bad it really is on the inside. 

So like 2 or 3 months ago I bought a couple copies of the european tour cassette of Whenever, If Ever for me and my cousin. When they went out I only received a single copy. Not a big issue, it takes a couple of emails, but after contacting the guy at Get Into It Recs, he says he's sorry and he sends out the second cassette. fast forward like 3 or 4 weeks or so and it still hasn't arrived, I've been in contact with the guy for like a week and he says he'll try sending his last copy that he was holding for a give away. Fast forward another two weeks or whatever and it still hasn't arrived, and the guy has assured me that he no longer has any copies of the cassette left. Since he can't track them outside of the UK, neither of us has any clue where they are.

Somewhere out there, there are two copies of the cassette I ordered just floating around because USPS.

So like 2 or 3 months ago I bought a couple copies of the european tour cassette of Whenever, If Ever for me and my cousin. When they went out I only received a single copy. Not a big issue, it takes a couple of emails, but after contacting the guy at Get Into It Recs, he says he's sorry and he sends out the second cassette. fast forward like 3 or 4 weeks or so and it still hasn't arrived, I've been in contact with the guy for like a week and he says he'll try sending his last copy that he was holding for a give away. Fast forward another two weeks or whatever and it still hasn't arrived, and the guy has assured me that he no longer has any copies of the cassette left. Since he can't track them outside of the UK, neither of us has any clue where they are.

Somewhere out there, there are two copies of the cassette I ordered just floating around because USPS.

Sounds like either the guy is lying about sending them, or sometime in the future you will be receiving several copies.

Sounds like either the guy is lying about sending them, or sometime in the future you will be receiving several copies.

Yeah that thought has crossed my mind, but I don't think he was lying to me. We've been sending emails back and forth for quite a while now. The second extra he sent could be just taking a bit longer than normal to arrive. I doubt it, but there's a small chance it could come sometime next week. I'll laugh my ass off if they just show up one day after I've forgotten about them.

Perhaps this has been mentioned before, but does anyone know why a tracking number would say "out for delivery" one day and then the next day "delivery status not updated"?  I would assume the mail carrier just didn't scan it as delivered, but it always makes me nervous when I sell something on eBay and see this message for a package that I sent to someone.

Perhaps this has been mentioned before, but does anyone know why a tracking number would say "out for delivery" one day and then the next day "delivery status not updated"? I would assume the mail carrier just didn't scan it as delivered, but it always makes me nervous when I sell something on eBay and see this message for a package that I sent to someone.

Yeah that's exactly what it means.

Perhaps this has been mentioned before, but does anyone know why a tracking number would say "out for delivery" one day and then the next day "delivery status not updated"?  I would assume the mail carrier just didn't scan it as delivered, but it always makes me nervous when I sell something on eBay and see this message for a package that I sent to someone.

this always scares me too. i hate it when it happens.

Yeah that's exactly what it means.

I thought so.  Thanks for confirming as I know you would be the best person to ask in this thread.

this always scares me too. i hate it when it happens.

When it's an expensive item it worries me most.  It would be just my luck to get someone shady and have them file a claim on me.

I'll transfer to your city if you buy me the Bob Saget thug life tshirt.

Dude, you have no clue how bad I want to buy it for you. 

I was planning on it this month and then I found out I lose my job by the end of this month. 

But that shirt will happen eventually. I will make it happen.