Kanye West -Yeezus

After a few listens I enjoy the album enough to pick up the record if and/or when it comes out.

Now we can expect a bunch of hip-hop artists releasing Yeezus style tracks - Ye is quite the trendsetter if you look at his past 3 releases.

It sounds to me like Kanye is falling into the DIY trend, not setting it. "Alt" hip hop has been around for a while.

This thing got a 9.5 on Pitchdork, but i guess i wasn't expecting anything different from them.

For some reason the dude has cred everywhere. If this exact album came out but someone else wrote it, it'd be a different story. And we wouldn't have a thread about it here, especially without a vinyl release, for sure ha.

This album is far from perfect so I don't get all of the 10/10's and 5 Star ratings.  It's good, but it's far from his best and some of the lyrics are very cringe worthy.  

Kanye is tough to respect as a person, but this kind of departure for someone of his popularity is quite the ballsy move.  I just wish the album was better.

I'd give it a 10 for the production and for trying something different... it works, but it doesn't touch MBDTF, which is a masterpiece.

The lyrics and overall rating for Yeezus I'd say falls into 6-7ish? I love the album, but just doesn't touch his past work, which is ok. He threw himself out there and did something different. 

A++++++ for effort!

In Yeezus Christ's name I pray. Amen.

Kanye's lyrics are laughable and unrelatable.

Unrelateable?!

“Real nigga back in the house again / Black Timbs all on your couch again / Black dick all in your spouse again / And I know she like chocolate men / She got more niggas off than Cochran, huh?!?” – Kanye West, “On Sight"

“No sports bra let’s keep it bouncing” – Kanye West, “On Sight”

“God! God! God! God! God! God! God! God!” – Kanye West, “Black Skinhead”

Pink-ass Polo’s with a fucking backpack / But everybody know you brought real rap back.” – Kanye West, “I Am A God”

“I am a God / So hurry up with my damn massage / In a French-ass restaurant / HURRY UP WITH MY DAMN CROISSANTS!” – Kanye West, “I Am A God”

“I just talked to Jesus / He said, ‘What up, Yeezus?’ / I said, ‘Shit, I’m chilling / Trying to stack these millions.’” – Kanye West, “I Am A God"

“You see there’s leaders and there’s followers / But I’d rather be a dick than a swallower.” – Kanye West, “New Slaves”

“Fuck you and your Hampton house / I’ll fuck your Hampton spouse / Came on her Hampton blouse / And in her Hampton mouth.” – Kanye West, “New Slaves”

“Bitch I’m back out my coma / Waking up on your sofa / When I park my Range Rover / Slightly scratch your Corolla / OK, I smashed your Corolla.” – Kanye West, “Hold My Liquor”

“Chasin’ love, lots of bittersweet hours lost / Eatin’ Asian pussy, all I need was sweet and sour sauce.” – Kanye West, “I’m In It”

“Uh, black girl sippin’ white wine / Put my fist in her like a Civil Rights sign / And grabbed it with a slight grind / And held it ‘til the right time / Then she came like AAAAAAHHH!” – Kanye West, “I’m In It”

“I don’t give a damn if you used to talk to Jay-Z / He ain’t with you, he with Beyoncé, you need to stop actin’ lazy / She Instagram herself like #BadBitchAlert / He Instagram his watch like #MadRichAlert.” – Kanye West, “Blood on the Leaves”

“Star Wars fur, yeah I’m rockin’ Chewbacca.” – Kanye West, “Guilt Trip”

“It’s so packed I might ride around / On my bodyguard’s back like Prince in the club.” – Kanye West, “Send It Up”

“I know I got a bad reputation / Walking ‘round, always mad reputation / Leave a pretty girl sad reputation / Start a Fight Club, Brad reputation.” – Kanye West, “Bound 2.”

“One good girl is worth a thousand bitches.” – Kanye West, “Bound 2”

It sounds to me like Kanye is falling into the DIY trend, not setting it. "Alt" hip hop has been around for a while.

I agree. I should have specified that I think mainstream artists are going to follow this trend. I'm sure G.O.O.D. Music will be filled with similar style releases in the next year. I wouldn't put it past other mainstream hip-hop artists to follow. Perhaps see some more Daft Punk productions.

Not quite sure how to respond to that. Makes no sense. I mean yeah there was a time when I didn't care about hip hop at all and I know a lot of people go into that phase but rather than staying exclusive it would make more sense that Kanye would open the floodgates to other sorts of hip hop.