Official Cancer Patient/Survivor/Care Giver Support Thread

I found out Wednesday. I went into the doctor for what I thought was a virus or infection, turned out it was cancer. So that turned out to be the most bizarre day of my life thus far. They believe it's lymphoma and it's pressed against a lung and wrapped around 2 arteries in my heart. It makes it so I get out of breath super easy and the blood flow is inconsistent. We don't know what type or stage of lymphoma yet, I'll find that out Tuesday/Wednesday when I go up to Loyola university to get a biopsy. Anyway, I guess I'm posting because I need to get it off my chest and actually saying it helps keep the denial away. Advice and encouragement might be what I'm seeking as well. These boards get pretty silly, but I've seen some pretty awesome stuff with members helping other members. Well, I feel a little better now so that's good. If you've read this, I appreciate you taking the time. Thank you.

Wow, all the best brother. True story: my grandfather had lymphoma, he decided to wait it out at home and monitor it. His body ended up going into remission on its own without treatment. He cured himself, and it was the first time the doctors had ever seen that. They did a bunch of tests and studies on him, but couldn't figure out why. I'm obviously not recommending avoiding treatment or anything, but hopefully that story is somewhat uplifting.

BIG FREAKING INTERNET HUG.

two stories that i hope can inspire you: my mom's best friend is a two-time breast cancer survivor. she did the damn thing, got her chemo, got her radiation, got her wigs, and she is alive and well and still amazing to this day.

her daughter, who is my age and was my best friend growing up, was diagnosed with a rare type of bone cancer when she was about three. she had pretty terrible odds, to be honest. they ended up performing a revolutionary procedure (at the time in 1986) where i believe they extracted her bone marrow, zapped it free of the cancer cells, and put it back in her. after all the rest of the radiation treatments etc, she went into remission. my friend jami lived, has always been a fighter, and just turned 30 about a month ago.

these two women have inspired me so much throughout my life, reminded me that no matter what, hey i don't have it so bad.

tl;dr: two women in my life are tough and you are tough and you will get through this. please keep us updated, okay?

I heard many good things about treatment options. Medical advances are so great right now.

I wish you all the best.

My mother in law has that. Developed it from radiation from having breast cancer. But these pills she's on put her in remission with a now 0 of it showing. Granted she takes the meds the rest of her life.

I'll be pulling for you.

Terrible.  I'm really sorry to hear this, man.  Hopefully it was caught early enough, and with your mentality, you can beat it.  You've got a strong support system, so take advantage of it.  I lost my dad twelve years ago to cancer, and it still affects me today.  Not an easy journey, but you can do it!

it sounds like you don't know much about it yet, but do you know how it will be treated? chemo vs radiation?

i hope this ultimately sounds like advice rather than me just trying to sound scary. you may end up losing your hair, your nails, your taste buds... the hardest part will be how much the treatment drains your body and the side effects from the treatment. it may be as physically exhausting as it is emotionally. i guess i just hope you are prepared rather than having it catch you by surprise.

in september 2006, doctors told my mom she had six months to live. almost seven years later she's still alive and kicking. even if you're feeling hopeless, know there's always reason to hope and stay positive.

There is nothing I can really say to make it any better for you and since I dont know you it wouldnt really mean too much, but I seriously hope you kick its ass man. I recently found out that one of my friends who is a huge inspiration to me as it was, has come back from both breast and ovarian cancer before I knew her. She shows no signs of it and I wish I could live my life as well as she does, so there is hope for you man.